NRM July - September

LH&JC

• RMweb Gold

First update for 2 months, where does time go?!

In my defence the only thing that has been open those past 2 months was the Great Hall and the art gallery, but photography isn't allowed in there.

It's good too see Mallard back in the NRM. And you can get a proper look at Coppernob now! The station hall is open after it's revamp although I haven't managed to get decent pics for some of the exhibits. The station hall has shifted even further to passenger exhibits, on the other hand the freight section isn't open yet. Winston Churchill is now in the workshop, and Rocket is in action in the south yard.

http://www.flickr.co...157627301495828

post-6756-0-27648400-1311868608_thumb.jpg

post-6756-0-20064000-1311868637_thumb.jpg

Ah drat, when I was in there on Sunday I didn't look outside and missed the chance to get some shots of 2818 in the light at least. I'd assumed it was already at Shildon.

I didn't know Coppernob was damaged at all, just looked up the incident. Shrapnel seems to have gone straight through the side of the boiler there?

• RMweb Gold

I think that conclusively rules out Coppernob for future restoration to running order! I wonder if No.20 & Coppernob have ever been seen together in preservation?

Don't forget that Mallard was last repainted in the mid to late 1980's, therefore UV light will have altered the colour somewhat.

Plus of course the paint mix used to paint each loco may not have been the same or even just the light of the respective pics could change the paints appearance.

Thanks for your replies.

Some interesting ideas there, all of which are perfectly plausible. I did consider that the lighting conditions may have changed the paints appearance (plus alsorts of camera settings could have had a similar effect I suppose). How much exposure to UV light might 4468 have had? I would have thought the NRM being the 'clinical' museum type place that it is would have been full of UV filters to stop the more fragile exhibits being damaged. (Please don't take that as a criticism btw - I fully understand that to properly protect valuable items a carefully controlled environment is required).

Anyway, the best way to tell whether the locos are different shades of blue for sure is to get them both together... any takers? :)

the best way to tell whether the locos are different shades of blue for sure is to get them both together... any takers? :)

Me, if I get the Rail Events Coordinator job at the museum A1, A2, A3, A4, A4, A4, A4 line up on the cards ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been today, the freight road is now open, is it me or has the freight element been squeezed out in favour of more passenger & royal stock? Anyway the new entrance & shop is open, with the Deltic models, mmmmmmm! And a quick question, the LMS coach in the paint shop is been painted to match Duchess of Hamilton but weren't the only crimson coaches to receive the go faster striped the ones that went with '229 when she went to America? Or is it a support coach for a main line return in the not too distant future?! :P

http://www.flickr.co...157627301495828

post-6756-0-96820400-1313177749_thumb.jpg

post-6756-0-32197600-1313177788_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived