Modern Locomotives Illustrated 190 - Classes 158 and 159

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

Found the latest MLI in the newsagents at Three Bridges of all places this afternoon. Covers the 158/159 DMU family and a pretty good issue it is too.

Seems to cover most of the the livery variations that I can recall and also has a bit on the Thailand ones as well.

has anyone contributed to these magazines?if so, what have your experiences been with regards to pictures being used?

I think that the magazine is perfectly good though the editor has gone a little overboard with some liveries.As a contributor, i offered some good shots of liveries that has not been used yet we have 15 pictures of SWT 158s, a bit of variety in both liveries and the choice of contributors would be nice.

rant over!!!

I've bought a copy, but I've got to say that filling a whole issue with 158s and 159s is not the most engrossing subject!

I agree with the above comment about variety and picture selection. I did a double-take (or rather CJM did) when I found two almost identical pictures at Sheffield, same day, same vantage point, the same position on two consecutive spreads - only difference being livery variation (and that not shown to good effect). Once again there is a very high "Dawlish Count".

Having said that, the photography is excellent and it's another well-produced edition.

yet we have 15 pictures of SWT 158s, a bit of variety in <snip> liveries <snip> would be nice

Haven't seen a copy yet to look for myself, if you really do mean 15 pics of SWTs 158s then I agree, that sounds a little OTT.

If it's 15 pics covering...

SWTs original pair of 158s

The current fleet of 158s (different livery)

The original (3?) 159/0 repaints with white roofs (eyecatching, but not the best idea on a DMU!)

The more common grey-roof 159/0 repaints

The more recent 159/0 repaints into the later SWT scheme

Plus the ex 158s with extra cars to form the 159/1 subclass

Plus keep an eye on detail variances for the modeller (there are plenty between a 159/0 and a 158 for example)

...then 15 pics doesn't sound like overkill...

• RMweb Gold

Yes there are at least 6 livery variations on the SWT 158-9's, 017 I think it was never had a grey roof in the mid livery.

In the performance section I saw the bit about the non stop Salisbury to Exeter run and funnily enough the same night Mick Cullen popped in the panel in between shunts, Mick confirmed he had permission to max it all the way and he just couldn't get it over 99mph so there was no conservatism that day. The speed table is up in the depot too.

Archived