Scalefour News 165

David Bigcheeseplant

The latest copy of Scalefour News just dropped through my letter box; it looks good with the following content:

Editorial

Finding ???r???

Thurstaston

Railway Modelling using machine tools

Mailbags & machine tools

Chairman??™s doghouse

The Armchair modellers challenge 2010

Scalefourum 2010

DCC challenge

Scalefour Southwest 2011

P4 layout challenge

Baseboard alignment

Ex Works

Area Groups

Models of moment

Plus other bits and bobs

Scalefour News is only available to Scalefour Society members but also is a good read for all finescale modellers you can join on line at http://www.scalefour.org/e-shop/p4memjoin.htm The joining fee has now been abolished and new members also get the Scalefour Handbook on CD.

David

post-186-12593196246875_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The joining fee has now been abolished and new members also get the Scalefour Handbook on CD.

David

Most (all?) of the handbook is also on the members area of the Scalefour website, very handy when you dont have the book to hand and want to look something up. Think the pages on permanent way standards were open on my computer for most of the last couple of weeks while ive been layout designing...

The fact that the magizine is also available online is also incredibly handy, given my copy of the mag is sat on the door mat in Bucks while Im back in Devon for the weekend. This way I can still read it.

Wish some other societies would take the same approach!!!

Most (all?) of the handbook is also on the members area of the Scalefour website, very handy when you dont have the book to hand and want to look something up. Think the pages on permanent way standards were open on my computer for most of the last couple of weeks while ive been layout designing...

The fact that the magizine is also available online is also incredibly handy.....

The Archive is very useful, particularly if you want to go back and have a look at the old Protofour Society magazines - it reminds me, in many respects, of how far we have come.

Mine came today. Something I wrote on P4Talk about coach liveries has somehow turned into a letter to the Editor! It would have made a bit more sense with the rest of the correspondence but that's editorial judgement for you. I'll savour my 15 seconds of fame while it lasts.

Chris

Manual on CDblink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

Is this going to be available to existing members at a resonable price for example FREElaugh.gif or will it be another case of "new customers only"sad.gif and it is about time too as we have been lagging behind other societies for sometime in the respect.

Eyes open for the postie miserable git that she is.....rolleyes.gif

Regards

Trebor

• RMweb Premium

Is this going to be available to existing members at a resonable price for example FREElaugh.gif or will it be another case of "new customers only"sad.gif and it is about time too as we have been lagging behind other societies for sometime in the respect.

Regards

Trebor

Yes, the EMGS Manual has been available (Free to ALL Members new or Old) on CD for a few years now. Who said they were behind the timesrolleyes.gif .

Yes, the EMGS Manual has been available (Free to ALL Members new or Old) on CD for a few years now. Who said they were behind the timesrolleyes.gif .

I think that was the point I was trying to make, that in fact the emgs cd is free to all members, in fact I have just got a copy of version 2, from my source.

Now i wonder if the scalefour society are going to do the same?

well from what I read in the snooze it is only for new members...

It would have been nice if they had asked if existing members wanted one as they were producing them. might of even got a better price for quantity at the same time.

Regards

Trebor

Hi Trebor,

Did you miss the bit from FatAdder that the entire set of Digests has been available for download from the Society site for quite a while?

I certainly downloaded the whole lot to my laptop over a year ago, and they are a lot more useful as I don't have to rely on having either a web connection or carry a CD with me when I'm travelling.

HTH

Flymo

It would have been nice if they had asked if existing members wanted one as they were producing them. might of even got a better price for quantity at the same time.

The CDs are being produced in spare time by Committee members, in order to NOT cost the Society extra money.

We could ask them for a discounted price, but a smack in the mouth often offends ;-)

Much better to bring them a fresh cup of tea!

If there is a need for a production run for the entire membership (although see my previous comment on them already being available on the website) then I'm confident that we'll get the best deal. There's very little that the Scoiety purchases that doesn't go to competitive tender. It's Members' funds that we are dealing with after all...

HTH

Flymo

Hi Trebor,

Did you miss the bit from FatAdder that the entire set of Digests has been available for download from the Society site for quite a while?

I certainly downloaded the whole lot to my laptop over a year ago, and they are a lot more useful as I don't have to rely on having either a web connection or carry a CD with me when I'm travelling.

HTH

Flymo

I didn't miss it whatsoever, now as you mentioned about the digest being available on-line, I have had a complete copy of the website locally stored for quite some time and all the past newsletters.

The point is paul that we are producing a cd, that still has a cost attached to it, be it that members are producing it or not, this is for new member of the society who I assume cannot download the very same digest of the website, I would guess that there are not many new members who are not web connected by now, and probably even less that do not have a computer. so even though I think it is a good move, why are we the members paying for this surely keeping a joining fee would have been justified to then have this professional reproduced.

I do not recall seeing any consultations published regarding this, were they are requested?

Flymo and Trebor, do you think this is the best place to be discussing Scalefour Society internal policy?

{whoosh...]

That was the sound of something missing me entirely.

There was a legitimate question asked, more so because it involved members' funds, and hopefully I answered it and corrected a misunderstanding about the costs in a straightforward way. Where did discussing internal policy come from??? I certainly had no intention of starting a flame-war!

If you'd rather that questions just lay unanswered, that's fine with me but I'm not sure that it's an approach that helps people in the longer term. The Committee of the Scalefour Society certainly has no problem with openness.

All the best,

Flymo

Archived