trying to decide whether to use steel track what are your thoughts

Guest jim s-w

It rusts!

However it does look less yellow than normal NS - High bright NS looks the same as steel. Steel is also softer and some claim it stays cleaner (not in my experience).

HTH

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Some say that it requires less cleaning than using nickel silver rail, particularly if you also use steel wheels. Its also a much better looking colour than Nickel rail, which I find even the special types look too yellow (and the normal stuff really does look very yellow.

With the rust side of things, I havent had a problem other than where I've used flux to solder on feeds (though for the next layout I am planning to get some non acidic flux to use instead.

Baseboards from the old layout have been stored in the guarage for the last couple of months, and not shown any sign of rust yet.

I've had patches of rust on some Exactoscale rail but the bits in question weren't on a layout in use or in any way treated. I would think that as long as you kept it away from too much flux and used it a decent amount you should be ok. Polishing the railhead properly would also help too.

If the rust does worry you that rail Jim mentioned is better than the normal although it does have a pearlescent quality and the look depends on the viewing direction somewhat.

The cost seems to depend more on the quality of the rolling as much as the material.. If you look at Scalefour NS rail compared to Exactoscale for example its much more coarse in profile. The Exactoscale stuff slides onto chairs a lot easier as a result!

Archived