Layout in 4 box files- Trackplan Needed

Loch Ectary1

I'm a little confused about why you can't design your own if it has only 1 point. I think you have the right idea though, less is more in terms of track with box files. What era and sort of layout did you have in mind? Why not take a look at mason's Pilot Road for some modern image inspiration: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/2651-pilot-road/page__p__18156__fromsearch__1&?do=findComment&comment=18156

From personal experience I would suggest that urban scenes tend to work better for box files.

With one point your track plan is always likely to be some variation of that, a single line with a siding - how about losing some of the angles? Perhaps a curved siding and gently curving running line? It will help lose the look of a line which is parallel to the box sides. What's at the left hand side of the track? Will it be a buffer stop or does it continue off-scene? If you have a serco 08, you could perhaps model something based around NR test trains in addition to your wagon works.

Here's a possible plan using two points, giving a small headshunt to fit an 08. You could extend this out of the file onto your traverser to let you actually run around stock. You'd have to check clearances but I *think* your siding would hold a Mk.2 coach if you did want to go down the NR route.

What did you have in mind for the 4th file?

post-6758-0-65394800-1312627585_thumb.jpg

I've just got the 4 box files from Tescos- yes, I know, cheap, but very sturdy. I was planning to use the 4th 'file as an extension to the sidings. Your plan looks good, especially as I have a spare peco curved point lying around although I might make the sidings a little straighter and add a 4th one along the longer siding in your plan.

Thanks for you're help in this- this is my first proper layout and help like yours I hope will make it a good one!

Take a look at how mason did his in the link above. I'd be wary of adding too much extra track, it might end up looking like a trainset - you want to leave some room for scenery, especially if you're modelling a depot etc. (road vehicles, junk etc.)

• RMweb Gold

Am cutting them up now- how would you recommend removing the rivets?

See Kenton's first link, and post #2.

If you've got the Tesco grey boxfiles, they are quite sturdy as a box, but do lose some rigidity once cut up. If you are planning to use a solid base to support them (such as a table), then this isn't too much of a problem.

Stu

Laterite & Co Ltd

Porth Byhan

Am cutting them up now- how would you recommend removing the rivets?

Stubby47's suggestion (see my first link) of hand drilling them out worked - but you do end up with holes to fill. Though in my case the sides will not remain on the "layout"

Have decide to build the layout on a conventional baseboard due to the less complicated electrics

The electrics will remain much the same no matter what the baseboard structure is. You still need to provide power. At least no one can claim boxfiles are not portable (and to some extent can be concealed from the powers that be)

Hi there, was reading through your thread and thanks ragtag for the links to help this chap out.

My electrics on Pilot Road were as least complicated as you could get, 4 wires to be exact, and to make it easier i raised the box files on wooden blocks to make it easier for the wires to be hidden

post-6696-0-04278700-1312916393_thumb.jpg

Very simple and easy, also for the point control i used a long nail, fixed to the underneath of the point which was fixed into a dowell rod and made long enought o push/pull from the back.

the box file layout idea is as easy as it gets

Neil

Archived