Colour Light Signals

Hi guys, I'm looking at purchasing some modern image colour light signals and am interested in the ones from CR Signals and Traintronics. I wish to control the signals through DCC in the future although at the moment they will be powered via a regular transformer ie non-DCC. I know the Traintronics ones are DCC ready and that I would need to add an accessory decoder in order to make them fully DCC, although they are my second choice as I am not too keen on the lights fading in/out as the period I am modelling would mean that the signals would have been the modern LED lit type and not filament bulbs!

However, the CR ones I understand are configured as common cathode which enables them to be connected into various DCC accessory decoders. They also offer a common anode version which allows connection into manufacturers decoders which specify common positive signals.

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does all that mean? Also, what is the difference between 'DCC accessory decoders' and 'manufacturers decoders?'

I only want to purchase signals once so I want to make the right decision now in order to avoid complications/regrets later!

Thanks in advance!

T

Common anode means that the positive side of all the LEDs is connected together, so for manual operation you use a DC supply and put your switches or whatever between the negative side of the signal and the negative side of the supply. As far as I'm aware this is the version to use with DCC decoders. Common cathode is the other way round where you switch the positive and all the negatives are wired together. There's a circuit diagram here, which applies to a seven-segment display but is the same for individual LEDs.

Hi, Have run this past Andy before making this post so should be ok. I am about to make availabe custom built signals, for 4mm/oo. Please see picture below for some examples of what i have made.

They are all made to order and can be wired in any way you like.

They can be 2/3/4 aspect, multiple junction indicators, call on and shunts, both original red/white and red/red types.

post-3252-0-94836700-1312841067_thumb.jpg

If you would like to know more please drop me a PM.

Paul(zippyhg)

Hi, Have run this past Andy before making this post so should be ok. I am about to make availabe custom built signals, for 4mm/oo. Please see picture below for some examples of what i have made.

They are all made to order and can be wired in any way you like.

They can be 2/3/4 aspect, multiple junction indicators, call on and shunts, both original red/white and red/red types.....

Looks tempting - the use of "water clear" LEDs is the way to go.

How do you deal with "light bleed"?

They are mounted within tubes which have been milled to make the hoods. All the ones above are for my club layout Horton. I have used the layout to develop the signals to the point where I can offer them to anyone interested. Hope to post some more pics of shunts and call on later.

Zippyhg.

The green used on colour light signals is not CYAN. A blue tint to the green is a good idea but don't go too far!

Always check the wavelength.

What wavelength should be used for the green aspect?

I seem to recall asking this question (I think) here some months, probably years ago now and no definitive answer was forthcoming.

Either way, the 'blu-ish/green' type of LED seems much closer to the real thing than any of the standard green LEDs which tend to be supplied with commercial signals.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall asking this question (I think) here some months, probably years ago now and no definitive answer was forthcoming.

Either way, the 'blu-ish/green' type of LED seems much closer to the real thing than any of the standard green LEDs which tend to be supplied with commercial signals.

Looking through my Lee filters swatch (I work in lighting these days...) I think the colour is very similar to 116 Medium Blue Green see http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/products/colours/ref:C4630710C55187/ which has a principal wavelength of 500nm

Andi

I have no idea the wavelength the prototype uses, maybe someone on here knows. However a smaller light source may not mimic the prototype.

I have always used "Pure Green" led's in my signals with a wavelength of between 555 and 570. So called green led's can be around 525 or less but these have a distinct yellow tint. These have the advantage of being very cheap but not suitable for this use and is false economy. I always use high quality led's in my signals.

Cyan has a wavelength of around 505.

Of course ambient light can affect the signals, I remember well at the NEC show which used bright orange neon type lighting, caused

all my signals to look very wrong!

All the best

Roger Murray

• RMweb Gold

One more thing I have just thought of, I am no scientist but I was once told that

Light Colours,

Filter Colours and

Paint Colours do not mix in the same way.

does that make it better or worse?

You are correct in that. My comment about filters is from my own research over several years of playing with lighting rigs and trying to find the colour that closest matched to what I remember of my days on the footplate of the green of railway signals. 116 was the closest I found.

In rock and roll lighting, as in railway signals, we are placing a colour filter over the front of a 'white' incandescant lamp...

Andi

You are correct in that. My comment about filters is from my own research over several years of playing with lighting rigs and trying to find the colour that closest matched to what I remember of my days on the footplate of the green of railway signals. 116 was the closest I found.

In rock and roll lighting, as in railway signals, we are placing a colour filter over the front of a 'white' incandescant lamp...

Andi

Hi Andi, yes, in the old days the light source was yellow be it an oil lamp or a bulb. The signal lens was pretty near pure blue which gave a green light. If you put a blue filter in front of a yellow led very little happens and it shows no hint of green. I am told this is because the light from led's is very pure and at an exact wavelength, where as the light from a lamp or bulb contains a large spectrum. I am digging a hole here so will stop..................

I have no idea the wavelength the prototype uses, maybe someone on here knows. However a smaller light source may not mimic the prototype.

I have always used "Pure Green" led's in my signals with a wavelength of between 555 and 570. So called green led's can be around 525 or less but these have a distinct yellow tint. These have the advantage of being very cheap but not suitable for this use and is false economy. I always use high quality led's in my signals.

Cyan has a wavelength of around 505.

Some further investigation has revealed that the Railway Group Standards specify that the colours defined in BS1376 should be used, and these appear to be based on chromaticity co-ordinates rather than specific wavelengths.

However, some data found at the Marl website regarding LED signal lamps they supply to LUL indicates that the dominant wavelength for the green version is 500nm, so very much in the Cyan region it seems.

post-317-0-65440500-1313188142_thumb.jpg

The datasheet itself can be found here: http://www.leds.co.uk/pdfs/SPL8107.pdf

• RMweb Gold

<snip> the dominant wavelength for the green version is 500nm, <snip>

the colour is very similar to 116 Medium Blue Green...... principal wavelength of 500nm

If you want to know a colour, ask a lampy :laugh:

Andi

Some further investigation has revealed that the Railway Group Standards specify that the colours defined in BS1376 should be used, and these appear to be based on chromaticity co-ordinates rather than specific wavelengths.

However, some data found at the Marl website regarding LED signal lamps they supply to LUL indicates that the dominant wavelength for the green version is 500nm, so very much in the Cyan region it seems.

post-317-0-65440500-1313188142_thumb.jpg

The datasheet itself can be found here: http://www.leds.co.uk/pdfs/SPL8107.pdf

Most interesting, however if you test led's of those wavelengths it is a different story.

Cyan is used on Nato Aircraft Carriers for the deck perimeter lights and I am sure they wouldn't want green!

I shall continue to use 555 for the green cause it looks right.

Cheers

Archived