Train meets washout

54Strat

Unfortunately, high-powered lights don't actually assist with braking the train quickly!! He's very lucky the whole lot didn't tip over.

More to the pouint, he is lucky he saw the washout, which would NOT have happened if he did not have powerful headlights. And it flies in the face of those who said having powerful headlights would be no use at all.

• RMweb Gold

But seeing it didn't help at all, he was off the road before he would have been able to do anything, Air brakes are not instant, it takes time for the air to apply the brakes. If he'd have thrown the brake to emergency the moment the washout came into view then the shoes would have started to bite as he came derailed.

Andi (ex driver)

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a debate. I agree the high-powered headlights are a good idea but to get lights powerful enough to allow for the braking distances involved at any kind of respectable speed would probably melt the rails as well! ;)

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a debate. I agree the high-powered headlights are a good idea but to get lights powerful enough to allow for the braking distances involved at any kind of respectable speed would probably melt the rails as well! ;)

yep, being as generally you can't stop within the distance you can see in daylight...

Andi

Archived