Video: The Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railway, 31st July 2011

PenrithBeacon

I spent the first week of August in and around the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland railways and first of several films has now been uploaded to YouTube. Locomotives featured are Beyer-Peacock 2-6-2+2-6-2T 143 and 87 with the FR’s ‘Blanche’ and Fairlie ‘David Lloyd George’ also. Both ‘Blanche’ and 143 are shown crossing the Pont Glaslyn bridge with diesel hydraulic ‘Vale of Ffestiniog’ pulling trains into Porthmadoc station in scenes which will remind viewers of the S&DJR at Templecombe.

Other locations are Nantmor, Rhyd Ddu, Aber Glaslyn, Tan-y-Bwlch and in and around Tanygrisiau. I hope everyone enjoys the film which can be found at:

Regards

• RMweb Gold

A very fine film, thankyou. Not only well-filmed without the usual shakes, but also very-well edited, not always the case with otherwise-good footage. Thanks for posting. Weather looked to be a bit Welsh, which is a shame when you are on hols, but much better for filming without the extreme contrast of deep shadows and bright highlights. My first visit to the area was 45 years ago, end-July 1966, with similar weather. My most recent a decade ago. I hope to see it again before too long!

You just had bad luck with the weather David. All the people around here have very good sun tans. Neat footage there and I must remember to distance myself from that racket at the road crossing in Portmadoc.

The weather was Welsh on Sunday and Monday morning but the rest of the week was very good and I too got a good tan.

Yes, it's a shame about the racket on the Glaslyn bridge, but where else in the UK can you see such a thing? This sight will feature, from varying viewpoints, in the other films, the second which is currently in post processing as I write while listening to TMS.

My thanks to 'Olduddders' for his comments. I usually mount the camera on a tripod and it is essential to have a fluid head for ease of panning. Editing is a skill which requires a lot of self criticism; if in doubt leave it out and try to tell a story.

Regards

The second of the films has now been uploaded to YouTube covering the 1st and 2nd of August. Locomotives featured are Beyer-Peacock 2-6-2+2-6-2T 143 and 87 with the FR’s Fairlie ‘David Lloyd George’ and ‘Merddin Emrys‘. 143 is shown crossing the Pont Glaslyn bridge on two occasions from different viewpoints.

Other locations are Bettws Garmon, Plas Y Nant foot crossing, Penryn level crossing , Porthmadog, the footpath above Penryndeudraeth, Tanygrisiau, Farm Yard Farm level crossing near Pont Croesor, Beddgalert Forest, and Aberglaslyn Pass. I hope everyone enjoys the film which can be found at:

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Really excellent videos David. Many thanks for sharing them.

They remind me that I'm long overdue for a return visit to North Wales. Along with some friends, I spent many hours walking large stretches of the WHR trackbed in 1971/72, including through the rock tunnels in the Aberglaslyn Pass! I must find the time to go back there and see the difference now the railway has returned.

This film is the third (out of four) films taken on the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways during the first week of August 2011. It features the usual suspects as far as locomotives are concerned and the locations are Rhyd Ddu, Farm Yard Farm level crossing near Pont Croesor, Tan Y Bwlch (a particularly atmospheric sequence), Beddgelert Forest foot crossing, the Glaslyn Bridge at Beddgelert, Porthmadog, Penryn level crossing, Oakley Square/ Tanygrisiau, and then a number of locations along the footpath from Tanygrisiau as far as the northern portal of Moelwyn Tunnel where the film finishes.

I hope everyone enjoys it, and it can be found at:

Regards

This is the last of the four films of my holiday spent in North Wales filming the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways. Locations are Blaenau Ffestiniog, Glanypwl, the footpath from Oakeley Square to the hillside above Oakeley Square, Minffordd, Boston Lodge and the hill above Porthmadog to get the last shot of the Britannia or Glaslyn Bridge with a WHR train crossing. Locos are Double Fairlies ‘David Lloyd George’ and ‘Merddin Emrys’ and Beyer-Garrett 143, with a brief glimpse of the diesel-hydraulic ‘Vale of Ffestiniog’.

I hope everyone enjoys it and it can be found at:

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

The second of the films has now been uploaded to YouTube covering the 1st and 2nd of August. Locomotives featured are Beyer-Peacock 2-6-2+2-6-2T 143 and 87 with the FR’s Fairlie ‘David Lloyd George’ and ‘Merddin Emrys‘. 143 is shown crossing the Pont Glaslyn bridge on two occasions from different viewpoints.

Other locations are Bettws Garmon, Plas Y Nant foot crossing, Penryn level crossing , Porthmadog, the footpath above Penryndeudraeth, Tanygrisiau, Farm Yard Farm level crossing near Pont Croesor, Beddgalert Forest, and Aberglaslyn Pass. I hope everyone enjoys the film which can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM3wuM8UH3s

Regards

T

Other locations are Bettws Garmon, Plas Y Nant foot crossing, Penryn level crossing , Porthmadog, the footpath above Penryndeudraeth, Tanygrisiau, Farm Yard Farm level crossing near Pont Croesor, Beddgalert Forest, and Aberglaslyn Pass. I hope everyone enjoys the film which can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM3wuM8UH3s

Regards

Tha

Regards

The signalman seems to be asleep at 11.40 in the film, the road is not set and the double Fairlie just batters open the points coming out the station! A very interesting film well shot.

• RMweb Gold

The signalman seems to be asleep at 11.40 in the film, the road is not set and the double Fairlie just batters open the points coming out the station! A very interesting film well shot.

No signalman. Train crew operated passing loop with trailable points.

• RMweb Gold

No signalman. Train crew operated passing loop with trailable points.

After I sent the last post I decided I can't let it rest as the original post shows a massive lack of understanding with the comment

the road is not set and the double Fairlie just batters open the points

Working from that comment, if you accept it as a fact, the drivers is worse than asleep as he drives past the starting signal at danger as in a signalman worked installation you wouldn't be able to have the starter cleared with the points set against the move. If you get that far the driver also blatently drives into a set of points he can see are against him and which in a signalman worked installation would be locked as set by the facing point lock so no amount of "battering" would work and would result in a derailment.

Tan-y-Griseau passing loop is a train crew operated loop with trailable points. When not crossing another train the fireman changes the token in the building behind the engine and then uses the key on the end of the token to set the signal on the platform end. This signal isnt of the traditional red/green variety but one that mimics the FR traditional home signal but with two clusters of yellow LED's in it. Its main function is to give a lit indication that you have the correct token for the next section. When crossing as in this clip there is no need to put the tokens through the instruments so the first to arrive phones control for instructions and then when instructed sets the signal for the incoming train to enter the section its just left. Tokens are then swapped in the platform.

The turnouts at each end are set and held normal by a weighted mechanism that lives in the cabinet to the left of the turnout in the clip. You will also note that as the train starts to leave there is a white lit lamp on a pole adjacent to the turnout. This is indicating that the turnout is set and correctly in the normal position for a facing move to the driver of a train approaching the loop. The rules are that with the white light lit you can approach and run past it at 10mph. No light you stop, investigate and report. The departing train is making a trailing move which has a 5mp speed limit and you will notice as it runs into the turnout the white light goes out indicating the turnout is no longer "normal". The cabinet with the weighted doins in it also contains a damper to slow the movement so the turnout blades don't slam back between each wheel passing.

As a driver I don't like them as it always seems wrong somehow and they are fine until you need to do something out of the ordinary at which point they become a PITA

Archived