Scottish Region photos 1980's

That’s just a belter of a photo and I never tire of seeing it . As for the crane , it looks very similar to the chaps one being hauled by a 37 on his layout . Not sure how he got it . A friend of mine seems to think somebody on a FB modellers forum made a limited run of some a few years ago .

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, young37215 said:

I think it is a 45T Cowans Sheldon crane of which there are no kits that I am aware. Hopefully soemone will come along and prove me wrong as I would also like one!

A BIT OF A BONUS

Did we decide that that is a BDV in between the loco and crane ?? (I've still never found the 'going away' photo of this train again which I'm sure that I'd seen somewhere ???)

Regards,

Ian.

It's not really Scotland (it's Crewe) but it's a ScotRail livery coach abd it's the 1980s. Mk2D FK 13566, a coach I was not aware was painted in ScotRail, indeed I didn't know any Mk2D FK were:

13566 - Crewe

(Copyright Alan Murray flickr)

Was anyone aware of any 2D FKs being so treated? News to me!

Edited by hexagon789
  • Like 5

I'd recently seen it listed in a Rail Magazine from around 1987 after it was mentioned on RMweb a few weeks ago.

To be honest I still didn't believe it until I just saw your post. It was in blue and grey and based at Old OakCommon in January 1986 and moved from Polmadie to Longsight from 6/12/86, subsequently being repainted executive around May/June 1987 according to the Railway Observer. I'm guessing it was like 5813, being a cross-country coach repainted full ScotRail in error.

Edited by Flood
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, Flood said:

I'd recently seen it listed in a Rail Magazine from around 1987 after it was mentioned on RMweb a few weeks ago.

To be honest I still didn't believe it until I just saw your post. It was in blue and grey and based at Old OakCommon in January 1986 and moved from Polmadie to Longsight, subsequently being repainted executive, from 6/12/86. I'm guessing it was like 5813, being a cross-country coach repainted full ScotRail in error.

Must be then surely, I know there was a short term use of a 2D BFK in one of the Aberdeen Mk2 sets for a period in 1985 (shortage of 2E/F FOs while being painted into ScotRail possibly?) but I have never seen a 2D FK in one of the push-pulls. Interesting that you say it must be another repainting in error (presumably meant to be IC livery).

A pity, for a short time there was me thinking there was a new coach ripe for inclusion in my Aberdeen Mk2 set! Oh well, I'll just go for 3284 instead for a slight variation, at least that definitely did appear in ScotRail internal workings!

Edited by hexagon789

You can have a Mk2D FK in a push-pull rake.

47708 'Waverley' at Glasgow Queen Street

Copyright John Webster on Flickr

28/2/88 47708 with 13588 in executive, 6605, 5146, 5197 in ScotRail, 9440 in blue and grey, 9704 in ScotRail.

13588 was one of two Craigentinny Mk2D FKs for use on the 10.30 Edinburgh - Aberdeen, 14.45 Aberdeen - Edinburgh which was an InterCity East Coast working from May 1987 to May 1988. From May 1988 the equivalent working seems to have used Longsight Cross Country stock.

Rake details courtesy of @br2975. A link to a copy of my word document is below as previously posted:

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Flood said:

You can have a Mk2D FK in a push-pull rake.

47708 'Waverley' at Glasgow Queen Street

Copyright John Webster on Flickr

28/2/88 47708 with 13588 in executive, 6605, 5146, 5197 in ScotRail, 9440 in blue and grey, 9704 in ScotRail.

13588 was one of two Craigentinny Mk2D FKs for use on the 10.30 Edinburgh - Aberdeen, 14.45 Aberdeen - Edinburgh which was an InterCity East Coast working from May 1987 to May 1988. From May 1988 the equivalent working seems to have used Longsight Cross Country stock.

Rake details courtesy of #br2975. A link to a copy of my word document is below as previously posted:

Thanks @Flood, you are a mine of information as always!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 months later...

Some months later, and another shot of a DBSO in an Inverness train cropped up. Interestingly, only 19 days later than that previous train on the 20th August 1986, pictured at Aviemore in a train behind 47430:

Aviemore 1986

(Copyright Paul Braybrook flickr)

• Like 12