Phoenix Coach Kits

Hello All

I recently acquired a rake of four Phoenix LNER suburban coaches from eBay. I've never built such a beast before, but I thought I could give them a try.

They don't look too complicated, other than having to add the panelling to the sides myself.

Has anyone had much experience with these coaches? Anyone care to share some pointers or suggestions on how to put these together?

Many thanks in advance!

Derek

Derek

They are great fun and easy to build, score the doors in with a metal scriber, drill out holes for door and grab handles, sand the areas which will have glue on them and use either epoxy or impact glue for the sides, ends and floor. You may want to use a Comet underframe as the Phoenix underframes are a bit scarse on details. Build the roof but do not fix till last when all is painted and detailed.

They are realy nice kits which yoy can keep nice and simple of super detail, you can still buy them.

Phoenix kits were good in their day and the flush-sided kits still are. But when it comes to putting ones own panelling on them, as with Gresley teak coaches, why bother when the end result is like trading your modern car for a Barny Rubble sledge.

Use etched brass sides. Trouble then is the sides are 1inch high and lack the extra height that Phoenix added to allow the roof to clip over the sides. But then you wouldnt want it to otherwise the gutter would obscure the tops of the windows. As the chassis is also very basic, you can see where this is leading........You may as well start off with an etched brass kit.

Has anyone had much experience with these coaches? Anyone care to share some pointers or suggestions on how to put these together?

I painted around 280 per year for thirty one years or so but built only the odd one. Lawrence Scale Models used Evostick throughout those years from 1973.

1) A thin layer of Evostick was appied to the floor edges all round, the sides and the end castings, then set aside for around 15 minutes.

2) Then the ends were first attached to the floor then the sides added while pressing the glued surfaces firmly into contact. It is essential the body is square of course.

3) This procedure was followed by running a flow of Evostick along the inside of the joints as a safet back up.

I have attended to our earliest coaches and they are still as good as new. In fact the coaches could be stripped of paint in cellulose thinners and the Evostick would not be compromised if one worked quickly..

Phoenix kits were good in their day and the flush-sided kits still are. But when it comes to putting ones own panelling on them, as with Gresley teak coaches, why bother when the end result is like trading your modern car for a Barny Rubble sledge.

Hi Coachman... thanks for the comments... I was going to do the panelling, but not bother painting them teak. I was going to paint them crimson/cream. Would that make any difference to the over all finish?

Thanks!

I was going to paint them crimson/cream. Would that make any difference to the over all finish?

Yes, you would be shot at dawn! :D Suburbans never carried carmine & cream (blood & custard).

But they did carry plain carmine commencing 1949 until maroon livery was adopted in mid 1956. I haven't compared the wooden versus steel body diagrams but it may be possible to number them as Gresley steel bodied suburbans.

Yes, you would be shot at dawn! :D Suburbans never carried carmine & cream (blood & custard).

But they did carry plain carmine commencing 1949 until maroon livery was adopted in mid 1956. I haven't compared the wooden versus steel body diagrams but it may be possible to number them as Gresley steel bodied suburbans.

Ha ha! Good thing I've not started them yet!

I saw the Hornby ones coming out, an thought these might be similar. I'll let you all know what ones exactly it is that I have shortly.

Thanks again!

Archived