N Gauge Sound Coaches/Wagons and Tail Lamps

MRDEEDIESEL

Not my strong point but curious to know if possible!!!

On a non DCC N Gauge layout would it be possible to fit some sort of module/speaker into lets say a Mark 1 BG or a Freightliner container wagon and have it sit immediately behind the loco to give the impression that the noise was coming from the loco?Is there anything like this on the market or being developed?As a devoted n gauge modeller the only thing that i envy about 00 is sound but DCC and its expense is a no - no for me.Different modules could im sure give out fair impressions of the various Diesel Classes?Anyway just curious

Also is there anybody still making n gauge flashing or non flashing tail light kits (powered from track or battery) ??

thanks for any help

• RMweb Premium

There are a few people who make flashing tail lamp kits for N Gauge. Unfortunatly I can't think who they are at the moment. Versions are available for oil and battery type lamps and for powering from the track or a small battery. Have a look on eBay or at one of the larger exhibitions.

You can get electronic kits for producing chuff-chuff sounds but they'll never fit in a N Gauge model. Most DCC sound decoders will function to a limited extent on DC so it might be worth looking at the range of decoders from the likes of Digitrax. They're about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of similar decoders from LokSound but have a much more limited range of British sounds.

To be honest, I can't see there ever being the support for DC sound that there is for DCC.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi

It can be more difficult with DC but not impossible. One product to look at is DCC Concepts flicker free 2 by using the green wire which can give you directional lighting and with a little bit of extra electronics you can have a flashing light on DC. You then dont need to worry about the lights going out when stationery. These will fit in just about all wagons and tankers, I have had no problems fitting them.

Make sure to ask for the n gauge one as it has the correct size pick ups to suit most wheels.

003.jpg

025.jpg

Here is a Farish Stanier on youtube with DCC Concepts FF2 fitted. You can have the same effect except switching the lights on and off.

Shame that you dont want to go down the DCC path then sound is no problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Qh01LkJaU

Here is a Farish 37 see link below with sound and 8 independent lighting functions which most OO models dont even come close to having.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riBlXNpdQts

I highly recommend this FF2 and is excellent in n and oo.

m

Very nice lighting!

I have DC layout also and have been pondering the possible reuse of the red lights from one end of my Farish 37 for brake van use - I think I shall be looking at the suggested products here though!

Be interested to know what volts and amps are needed to power the head and tail lights supplied with the Class 37 model?

Black Cat Technology ( ebay link ) do a 2hz battery powered flasher suitable for N Gauge. I bought a few a while back and they're small enough to fit into most N Gauge stuff. They fit into a Farish MEA, though there's not much room to cover them up in one of these wagons.

It wouldn't be too hard to make your own with a flasher controller, ( ebay link ) though it does need 3v.

Paul

Archived