The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Car identification - Nothing to do with model railways

BobD

Nothing to do with model railways.

Over the years, I have taken a passing interest in cars. Anyway, a few days ago, a car pulled onto the forcourt of the garage I work at which I didn't recognise. I suspect it may be a kit car or one of the slowly increasing numbers of micro cars.

Does anyone have any idea?

post-6898-0-89146900-1313478317.jpg

Not the best quality picture I know. Taken on my mobile phone, from a distance, then the relavent bit cut and pasted.

• RMweb Gold

I have a sneaking suspicion it may be a Nissan S-Cargo.

If it is, it'll be a grey import from Japan.

I think you're right. The S-Cargo (deliberately sounds like the French for snail - escargot!), the Pau and a coupe whose name escapes me all came from somewhere called the Pike Factory - this being emblazoned on the scuttle, I seem to remember. This was in Nissan's wacky period, before they got into difficulties and were bailed-out by Renault.

Yes, it is an S-Cargo (I'm not certain about the spelling). ome years ago a friend and I went to look at recumbent cycles at a place near Ely and the guy had one. It had an automatic gearbox and the owner said that he thought they all did. I think that the coupe you are thinking of is the Figaro, a retro-style little thing wit a large sun roof.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it is an S-Cargo (I'm not certain about the spelling). ome years ago a friend and I went to look at recumbent cycles at a place near Ely and the guy had one. It had an automatic gearbox and the owner said that he thought they all did. I think that the coupe you are thinking of is the Figaro, a retro-style little thing wit a large sun roof.

Figaro rings a bell - saw one at the Nurburgring last year.

Incidentally, the term "Grey Import" implies a new vehicle outside the official importer's network, whereas for years there has been a healthy market in imported used Japanese cars. Apart from the small matter of some vehicles lacking EU Type Approval, which can be a problem for registration, this has had the effect of putting unfamiliar cars on our streets. I recall one Mitsubishi coupe, much loved by the average M'laddo, which had never made it to Europe via the official importer, who thought their quota might be better filled by other models, no doubt.

There was a concern with the Eunos roadster, which was a Mazda MX-5, because it was said not to have such good anti-rust treatment as the genuine import. I still see quite a few and they don't seem too bad to me after ? years.

Ed

</p>

Figaro rings a bell - saw one at the Nurburgring last year.</p>

</p>

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Nissan_Figaro_Front.jpg

I've seen one of those around here and always wondered what it was.

Wasn't there a Volvo produced with very similar styling back in the 60's?

Quirky, but not something I'd like to be caught driving :D

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a 60's Renault Dauphine knock off to me.........

Best, Pete.

I think it's supposed to look like a 1950s Austin Atlantic, which seems vaguely believable looking at a few images. There's a couple of Figaros I see regularly round my way, very much girly cars; not sure I'd want to pay upwards of 6K for a 20+ year old Nissan though (unless it was a 240Z)

The Daihatsu Copen is sort of vaguely similar and a darned sight more modern and cheaper:-

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/daihatsu/copen/postcode/bh211aa/radius/1501/quicksearch/true

Talking of out of the norm cars, one of my favourites turned up outside our village garage a few days ago.

It looks like an American interpretation of a classic Merc., from the 30's.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst we're doing oddball cars I keep seeing the same Renault Avantime round my way, the only one I've ever seen:-

You don't see huge numbers of them over here, either. A prestige model rather than a mainstream seller, perhaps. In an era when German cars dominate the prestige sector worldwide (ok, so Lexus, Acura and Infiniti might argue), the Big 3 French manufacturers still feel committed to having a range-topper, and I think from that point of view Avantime was a bit of an improvement on Safrane, as well as being very individual. When Deb was using taxi/ambulances to and from the rehab hospital last year, she rode in a number of smart-ish saloons, but the Citroen C6 with full leather was the really swish one. I don't suppose many of them get sold outside France, either!

Well if this is where the petrol heads hang out, I've just had another dream shattered.... :(

Been playing with one of these this afternoon and what promised to be great fun was a massive disappointment. Nice engine, but the worst low speed ride and auto gearbox I have ever encountered in a top end car. Of course I could never afford to buy one, but would be totally gutted if I had spent good money on this car. Driving fast on smooth roads wasn't too bad, but driving through Reading over pot holed roads was a nightmare.

The only saving grace was the sun coming out.. :)

post-6950-0-21231300-1313516723_thumb.jpg

I think that the coupe you are thinking of is the Figaro, a retro-style little thing wit a large sun roof.

One of those lives just round the corner from me. See other ones quite regularly.

As to the Eunos having less rust protection, from the stories of the MX5 that would be quite an achievement.

All the best

Keith