Rail Express - September 2011

grahame

The latest issue dropped through my letter box earlier today.

The main features are a report on the Top Gear caravan episode and an interesting look back at PEP units. The modelling section features a layout and is probably the highlight of the entire mag.

I found that the pics seem to have lost their usual glossy sparkle and are a little flat and faded from usual. Also there seems less news section pics and what there are are smaller. It could be me, but I'd be interested in others comments.

G.

Grahame

I get the e-version so cant comment on the quality, but when you put the thumbnails up on a big screen you can see at a glance the content "balance"

PEP article (4pg) - pretty informative for one who knew nothing of the history

Life after Speedlink (8pg) - 2nd of a three parter and excellent with some good prototype inspiration

Swinlees Layout (7pg) - really like this one

News pages did seem less (6) but there is still a healthy Traction, Shunters, Units, Coaches etc section. Guess as the Railway changes as will the content. Still nearly 50% ads in REM though, either thats required for funding or there is a lack of folk out there actually Modelling to contribute.

My renewal for the e-version is due inthe next few months and right now the jury is still out.

Mark

p.s. Top Gear article, I didn't mention it on purpose.

I have tried to contact Rail Express both the old ................................................. I have yet to receive a reply,

I sent an article and photos in to the former editor (Mr Bayer's predecessor), all on a CD-Rom. The disc and accompanying letter contained all my contact details - nothing, not even a '*"+@ off' tablet.

I later found that my case was not an isolated one.

Brian R

I found that the pics seem to have lost their usual glossy sparkle and are a little flat and faded from usual. Also there seems less news section pics and what there are are smaller. It could be me, but I'd be interested in others comments.

G.

I'd agree with that, i flicked through the mag, thinking i'll reserve judgement 'til i've seen it all, but throughout the mag the pics seemed faded and some with poor quality reproduction, particularly bad the shot of 60074 imo. I've always liked the quality of pics in this mag but this mag felt like i was looking at the images through some sort of filter. The feature on the enterprise network looks interesting though, and the layout in the modelling section.

Chris

Archived