Adams G6 Locomotive

georgeT

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can help ? l have just built a G6 0-6-0T in 7mm, but as l was looking at some photos to number my loco to, l noticed that 30238 has a running board at the end with a grab rail on the tender side, l would like more details and if possible a photo, can anyone help ?

post-7716-0-44243600-1313676023.jpg

• RMweb Gold

A number of the G6 locomotives, but not all, had these extended steps, made from a wooden plank I think and bolted to the exsiting cab step and a support off the end of the buffer beam, for use by a shunter to ride on as the loco moved around the yard. They may perhaps even have been a local modification rather then an official fitting.

I am afraid that I do not have a full list of those so fitted and it would need a look through a number of books to check which loco had them.

Thanks for the help Graham, l know that 30238 had the running step so l will stick with that one, l have since found out the were fitted to both sides of the loco, l will post some pictures of my modified G6 in the kit building section soon, thanks again...

It wasn't a uniquely Southern feature either. The Scottish divisions of the LNER had something of a penchant for so fitting their shunting engines, both built by the Scottish companies and reallocated there (J72s and some species of ex-GER 0-6-0Ts were so fitted).

Adam

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A number of the G6 locomotives, but not all, had these extended steps, made from a wooden plank I think and bolted to the exsiting cab step and a support off the end of the buffer beam, for use by a shunter to ride on as the loco moved around the yard. They may perhaps even have been a local modification rather then an official fitting.

I remember reading about this many years ago, (cant remember where though) that this was indeed a local modification for locos that were based at a certain depot or for working in a particular yard, (Nine Elms?) but I'm afraid I cant rmembr any more than that!

Sorry,

Dave.

Archived