On 40-somethings Workbench

Guest 40-something

Guest Max Stafford

Joe, I'm dead impressed with your work. Your J50 now has the right look of weight and balance. It's a good looking loco and your model really catches the character. I wonder if anybody ever photographed an Eastfield one in action?

Dave.

Guest 40-something

Thanks for you comments Dave.

Guaranteed if there was a photo of one of Eastfields J50's, it'd be the one I've done and would be completely different!

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

I've made a start on the J83 conversion, quite a lot needs done and i reckon it will be quite challenging, but I think it will be a worthwhile project!

post-6924-0-39952700-1318611299.jpg

The shell as bought.

The main things that need done to the body shell are:

Removal and replacement of the moulded boiler, smokebox and cab handrails.

Removal and replacement of the moulded boiler side pipework.

Removal and replacement of the moulded smokebox door 'dart'

Removal and replacement of the moulded bufferbeam coupling hooks.

Removal and replacement of the moulded lamp irons

Removal of the 2 'boxes' just in front of the cab atop the water tanks.

Removal of the moulded plastic underneath the boiler to give a bit of depth around the front splasher area.

Creating the cab front windows (should be circular)

Creating a cab floor, bunker enclosure and chassis mounting points.

Reshaping of the cab rear to remove the moulded 'step', creating new rear windows and replacing the moulded coal with real coal.

Creating the pipework at the front of the water tanks.

Full repaint in BR unlined Black with early emblem.

So far i have removed all the moulded details wthat will be replaced and drilled holes for the new handrails and lamp irons, and filled the original chassis mounting points.

post-6924-0-51738500-1318611397.jpg

Driver side

post-6924-0-55400700-1318611411.jpg

Fireman side

post-6924-0-72776400-1318611428.jpg

Bunker

I've still to sand the shell flat, ready for the new details, thats next on the list after filling the holes on the boiler/tank top join.

J50 looks great & will be following progress on the J83. I've been thinking of another LNER 0-6-0 conversion - J72 to a J69. The wheels are almost the same (4ft on the J69, 4ft 1.25in on the J71) and the wheelbase is almost the same too (13ft 10in for J69 and 13ft 8in for the J72) I have a nice little Bachmann J72 runner and a spare mainline J72 body. I know its a split chassis, but that gives it good weight. There would be a lot of cutting the body about, but worth trying?

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

I've got a bit more done on this project over the past few days.

post-6924-0-19441800-1318967735.jpg

Looks a lot worse than it is!

The remains of the moulded detail has been sanded back, though Im thinking of sanding off the boiler bands so I can get the boiler totally smooth, I can replace the bands with thin masking tape. The finished loco, 68447, will be a non-vacuum fitted example so not all of the boiler pipework needs to be replaced.

post-6924-0-96705600-1318967748.jpg

The windows are a lot rounder than they look!!!

post-6924-0-70588900-1318967796.jpg

Inside the cab showing plasticard fitted for front windows

All the areas that needed filled have been, and new window apertures have been created. To do the front windows I glued 1mm thick plasticard inside the cab, just where the curvature starts which is half height for the new apertures. Once dry I padded this area out with filler to level up with the cab front and after leaving overnight to dry filed out the new windows with round and half-round needle files using a cab window glass from a Bachmann J72 as a guide.

post-6924-0-37443400-1318967765.jpg

The extended back of the cab will be filed down flush

post-6924-0-63080800-1318967778.jpg

Inside rear of the cab showing the plasicard strips

The rear windows were somewhat easier to do. Inside the cab the rear window apertures are an inverted U-shape (as are the fronts) but as part of the bunker/coal mould there is a representation of the lower half of the window frame which is on an extended part of the cab backplate, which doesnt seem to exist on the real thing. Handily this means that there is a sufficient purchase area to glue 1mm plasticard of the right width in the inverted U, again up to where the curvature starts (I tried this at first with the front windows but found there just wasnt enough existing plastic to allow the glue to get a firm hold). Using the same needle files the apertures where created in the same manner as before. Its easier to do than explain!

I had previously drilled new holes for the handrails and lamp irons, on looking at them they were a bit wonky so I’ve filled some of them and will need to drill new ones.

More to follow in the next few days!

Guest 40-something

Hi Simon

Thanks for your kind comments. I had a look again at the spectacles and I agree they could (and should) be larger so I'll be opening them out before I do anything else - thanks for pointing that out to me!

The project is quite enjoyable to do although a tad frustrating, last night I was offering up the chassis to the bodyshell and I have had to trim some of the plastic behind the splashers to clear the leading wheelset - its taking some doing as the moulding is pretty thick!

• 1 month later...
Guest Max Stafford

Time we had an update on this Joe.

And I think your avatar could do with a pie - he's looking a bit thin... ;)

Dave.

Guest 40-something

Hi Dave

No update as yet, the project took a side line whilst I got stock ready for the clubs 'Annan Road' appearance at Falkirk (had tens of wagons to paint, decal & weather plus a few steam loco's needed weathered up too)

My intention was to pick up from where I left off this week but I've been sidetracked by doing a rake of coaches for Annan Road's next outing (4 Thompsons based on Triangs offering, 2/3 Gresleys based on Kirk kits and a Lima Mk1!)

It doesnt need much else done to it to be honest, just fitting the handrails and detailing parts then it the paint shop.

Watch this space as they say!

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Spurred on by Max Staffords posts above, I got stuck back into this project the past couple of nights.

post-6924-0-42527900-1323388633.jpg

The photo shows the J83 as it is now, sitting on just a partly modified chassis. I've added the handrails, smokebox door dart and whistle, and since the last update I've reamed out the cab front and rear spectacles to a more realistic size.

Jobs to do are to fit the lamp irons, fit the pipework running from the front of the side tanks to under the boiler and make a false cab floor and bunker, along with some more chassis modifications.

More to follow soon!

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Well the J83 is all now ready for the paint shop.

post-6924-0-46957800-1323551563.jpg

Side on shot of chassis and body

post-6924-0-40152100-1323551641.jpg

Three-quarter front view

post-6924-0-14063500-1323551690.jpg

Three-quarter rear view

post-6924-0-02554700-1323551744.jpg

Underside of body showing chassis fixing points.

Modifications to the chassis involved cutting off the brake linkages, cutting back the chassis frame to the sandboxes at the front, then removing the sandboxes (a new hole needed drilled for the mounting screw, still able to use the original coupler mounting!) At the rear off the chassis all that needed done was cutting off the sandboxes.

I'll post more photos through the painting process!

Guest Max Stafford

Top class Joe. This is definitely one of those 'small buck, big bang' projects that seem to satisfy out of all proportion to their material value!

Dave.

Guest 40-something

Top class Joe. This is definitely one of those 'small buck, big bang' projects that seem to satisfy out of all proportion to their material value!

Dave.

Thanks Dave. Its been quite a hard one this, but I feel it will be worth it in the end. Painting has been put on hold whilst I add a few quick details to a Bachmann J72, well, only lamp brackets really! Once I have the J72 ready for painting, both will be done at the same time.

Guest 40-something
Is that a Bachmann or Mainline J72?

Hi Charlie

It's a Bachmann model, was in LNER lined green, I've added lamp irons front and back and its now in primer, along with the J83. The latter has needed rubbed down a bit since priming, there are some blemishes but ill hide them with weathering.

Guest 40-something

Ah ok, does it still have a split chassis or have you given it an upgrade?

Its the split chassis, runs like a dream though and will be getting DCC'd sometime soon. The only change to this chassis will be to fit Kadee couplers

Guest 40-something

Ladies in Grey

post-6924-0-96499000-1323885464.jpg

J83 at front, J72 at the back

post-6924-0-42555800-1323885486.jpg

J72 at the front, J83 at the rear

Priming now done, hopefully I'll get the first coats of black on tonight!

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Well the black coats are on...

post-6924-0-97786200-1324072081.jpg

post-6924-0-24773300-1324072097.jpg

I think they are looking good, unfortunately they are looking a little too black as I forgot to mask the bufferbeams :scratchhead:

Ah well, time the get the brush, white and red out!

Archived