Footplate model railways Southampton

geoffrey figgins

Footplate model railways in st James road in shirley is closing for good on Saturday 5th December, All there remaing stock is now 30% discount. I was in there on Friday some stock items are low. No locos left but some Bachman mk 1 still in stock, Also a Lenz set 100 at 30% discount, shame I paid a lot more for mine. so worth a look or a phone call. tel 023 8077 1546.

Geoff.

Sad news. That's almost the last model railway shop left in Southampton.

In the last couple of years we've lost "The Old Toy Shop"/"Park Trains" and Southampton Model Centre (no real loss there!).

That now leaves just Ron Lines off Millbrook Road.

I have to say I haven't been into Footplate for a couple of years. It's a bit out of the way and rather a strange place, in my experience. There never seemed to be many customers in there.

I don't know how they've survived all these years?

Yes a real shame. I've been popping in every couple of weeks for quite some time to pick up odds and ends - just got some great bargain bits today although the selection of remaining stock is now fairly sparse and random!

I have always found the service to be excellent and extremely helpful. It has always been more of a source for bits and pieces rather than RTR or second hand stock like the Old Toy Shop was but I can't believe in such a short space of time we will be left with neither!

I do wish the owner all the best for his retirement though and hopefully Ron Lines will be in an ideal position to keep going and expand perhaps so that we aren't left with nothing at all in Southampton!

• RMweb Premium

Footplate model railways in st James road in shirley is closing for good on Saturday 5th December, All there remaing stock is now 30% discount. I was in there on Friday some stock items are low. No locos left but some Bachman mk 1 still in stock, Also a Lenz set 100 at 30% discount, shame I paid a lot more for mine. so worth a look or a phone call. tel 023 8077 1546.

Geoff.

What a shame - I popped in a month ago when I was unable to avoid being in Southampton. The other shops in the street entertain my wife while I visit 'Footplate'.

Ron (Boreham, I believe) is a good chap, known him for a few years, and his side kick Roger(?), when we've met at many of the local shows. Now he's the only one left in Soton, I hope his trade will benefit.

When I chatted with Roger earlier this year, he told me that he too has plans to retire in the near future.

Ron recently told me that he has moved his premises, although still in the same building. I've not had the opportunity to save up to visit him for a while, though!

Dave

• 4 months later...

Went to visit Ron Lines today to find their unit all closed up and some leaflets attached to the door saying that they've moved to a new shop in Shirley. I've got to pop in to Shirley tomorrow anyway so looking forward to checking it out...

• 4 weeks later...

I can attest that he isn't in MY Shirley. Oh, wait...we're named after the other one :).

Darn it, a UK hobby shop would be wonderful ! Closest one is 1.5+2+1=4.5 hrs drive/ferry away...

James Powell

Shirley, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

Archived