Signalling for loco release at the end of a platform

Hello All.

post-1855-0-81551100-1314390372.png

First of all, appologies for the naff diagram, it was a 5 minute effort on MS Paint. My question is, what should be where the red question mark is? Assume the platforms are bi-directional, ie trains arrive and depart the terminus from both. The semaphore starters are just to represent some sort of main aspect signals. Layout to be set Scotland in the 1980s, probably ex LMS/BR(M) equipment.

I guess a disc to release a loco from the end of platform 2 if it was running round it's train via pl 1, or going back up pl2 if the stock had already been removed. Would that require 2 discs or maybe a stencil box if there is a choice of routes? That disc would be on the left side of the line it applies to, which is correct.

But what about a loco at the end of platform 1, if a disc was located between the platforms here it would be on the wrong side, plus it might get a bit busy between the two lines if there's already the disc that applies to pl2.

That's just my quess, could be totally wrong! Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Rick

• RMweb Gold

There are probably more answers to this than you have asked questions :mail:

1. The release crossover could (and quite often would) be operated by a ground frame and only released when a loco has cut'-off an arrival in Platform 2. No need for any signals at all.

2. The crossover is worked from the signalbox and there is only one signal - a disc or gpl (ground position light) at the toe of the points in platform 2 and it is only cleared when the crossover is set 'to cross' for a move off the blocks of Platform 2. No need for any other signals as all other moves are covered by running signals either into or out of the platform and these lock the crossover in its normal (straight roads) position.

All the other answers are basically permutations of the two above - such as, sometimes, adding a signal to the ground frame worked crossover or even in some cases (none too common I think) not having a signal even if it is worked from the signalbox).

Try to find out what was the usual arrangement in the area you are modelling and replicate it and you're on the right road.

I'm pretty sure that Hull Paragon, which I frequented in my teens during the last days of steam, had no signalling at the platform ends, and there certainly were escape crossovers for running round. Latterly running round seemed to be a rarity. Instead it was the rule that any pilot loco pulling in ECS would follow the train out to the platform starter and wait there until it was signaled to its next port if call. I remember one shunter (a small diesel mechanical 0.6.0) following a departing train very smartly but unfortunately the train, for some reason, stopped before the end of the platform, causing the DMS to make a hasty emergency stop, narrowly avoiding a collision with the rear of the train! I always thought that this lack of signaling was in stark contrast to the care taken to prevent two trains occupying the same section elsewhere on the running lines

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure that Hull Paragon, which I frequented in my teens during the last days of steam, had no signalling at the platform ends, and there certainly were escape crossovers for running round.

Afraid it did, and signalled ... :O but I'm sure the resident bobby will comment in time (he's a member)

Ian is right, at the time he speaks of, there were no Engine Release signals at the platform ends. These were not required, the release X Overs were worked by local "GF's" released from Paragon box.

The present layout, brought into use 2 December 1984 does have an exit signal for the Cross Over Roads platform 2 and 3, and platform 6 and 7. There is no Crossover platform 4 and 5. You are therefore both right. Best Wishes, Mick.

Archived