Smeeth Station

howardb

Smeeth was a quiet little station on the SECR mainline between Ashford and Folkestone which was closed in the early 1950's and has been totally obliterated. Its very typically SECR with short staggered platforms which make modelling it at about 80% scale size feasible in the available space so not to many compromises needed!

The station will have a few stopping trains - hopefully by the time its finished someone will have produced some Birdcage stock in RTR form, and the simple goods yard will give me an excuse for some shunting with the new Bachman C class, but mainly the plan is to be able to watch the trains run on their way to the coast or London.

I have posted (I hope) a photo of the station in its SECR heyday and the plan I am currently planning. the layout will be set in the prewar period with plenty of olive green engines. The area above the fiddle yard may well be a temporary RAF camp with a squadron of bright silver Hawker Harts on exercise.

My only concern is the ability to get sensible length trains (8 coaches) up the slopes, but will test that before I construct them. Building is still very much in the planning stage, except the railway room conversion of the garage is already finished.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Howard

post-6367-0-31129900-1314423990_thumb.jpg

post-6367-0-89523500-1314424845_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Howard

Certainly looks an interesting project and one I look forward to following . I only wish I had a similar amount of sapce for a model railway room.

Ideally I am trying to keep layout threads in the layouts section of the forum, to hopefully ensure that they gain the maximun exposure on the forum and I then provide a link to the thread from the pinned layout links topic in this group area. Are you ok with me arranging for the topic to moved across and suitably linked?

Archived