Welsh Clay Pit Tramway

BG John

This is a real long shot, but I'm trying to trace the history of a piece of land in Carmarthenshire. It has the remains of a narrow gauge tramway on it, so wondered if anyone knew anything about this type of operation in the area, and could suggest where I might find more information.

I've been told that it was a clay pit, and blue marl was extracted. There is the remains of about 30ft of track, and the chassis of a wagon. I would have thought it would have been hand operated, and used to transport clay to the roadway that there are remains of.

The site in question is now part of 4.5 acres of woodland, but I don't know how big the worked area would have been. In the 1891 OS map it's marked as rough grazing and gorse. Later maps show it divided into several fields, but I think the maps I've seen have been revised rather than resurveyed completely. I suspect that it was bought by the owner of the adjoining house sometime between 1967 and 1980 ish. I don't know how long it had been woodland, but it's been established for some decades. So it must have been a clay pit at some time between the 1890s and mid 20th century.

Is there an expert on this type of site out there, or someone who could suggest where I could look?

Wales being my historical patch (so to speak), though not remotely this period, perhaps this will help:

1. If the said tramway was ever loco' worked (and possibly even if not), then the Industrial Railway Society may well have details in the relevant handbook. This would be my first port of call. http://www.irsociety.co.uk/

2. CADW is a decent enough suggestion but since they're really concerned with the legal duties and powers exercised by English Heritage in England, so probably not of much use for a quarry site worked for only a short period. [For Nick's benefit too, county record offices in Wales function in much the same way as in England, though I'm not sure about how things like Sites and Monuments Records (SMR) or Historical Environment Records (HER) work as their responsibilities overlap with the ambit of the Royal Commission for Historic and Ancient Monuments in Wales (RCHAMW). A quick web search suggests that these are in the hands of archaeological trusts (as opposed to county councils), but whether they'll have the details of this particular site is anyone's guess.]

A great many estate records of various kinds have also found their way to the NLW/LlGC [Edit: Sorry - The National Library of Wales/Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru] in Aberystwyth, but you'll have to ascertain the ownership details of the land before you know where to look!

The Dyfed Archaeological Trust can be found here: http://www.cambria.org.uk/

Details of most of the obvious collections and access here:

http://www.ancestor-search.info/CRO-Carmarthenshire.htm

HTH

Adam

...[For Nick's benefit too, county record offices in Wales function in much the same way as in England, though I'm not sure about how things like Sites and Monuments Records (SMR) or Historical Environment Records (HER) work as their responsibilities overlap with the ambit of the Royal Commission for Historic and Ancient Monuments in Wales (RCHAMW). A quick web search suggests that these are in the hands of archaeological trusts (as opposed to county councils), but whether they'll have the details of this particular site is anyone's guess.]

Thanks for the clarification, Adam. I'd forgotten about Aberystwyth. You're right about the Trusts having responsibility for SMRs, though. As you say, DAT may not have any specific information but may, at least, be able to point John in the right direction.

Nick

This is a real long shot, but I'm trying to trace the history of a piece of land in Carmarthenshire. It has the remains of a narrow gauge tramway on it, so wondered if anyone knew anything about this type of operation in the area, and could suggest where I might find more information.

I've been told that it was a clay pit, and blue marl was extracted. There is the remains of about 30ft of track, and the chassis of a wagon. I would have thought it would have been hand operated, and used to transport clay to the roadway that there are remains of.

The site in question is now part of 4.5 acres of woodland, but I don't know how big the worked area would have been. In the 1891 OS map it's marked as rough grazing and gorse. Later maps show it divided into several fields, but I think the maps I've seen have been revised rather than resurveyed completely. I suspect that it was bought by the owner of the adjoining house sometime between 1967 and 1980 ish. I don't know how long it had been woodland, but it's been established for some decades. So it must have been a clay pit at some time between the 1890s and mid 20th century.

Is there an expert on this type of site out there, or someone who could suggest where I could look?

John,

I'm intrigued- where in Carmarthenshire is this? I was born and brought up on the western edge of Llanelli, and spent a lot of my teens looking at sites like this- I did both geology and geography for A-levels, so could claim it was field work.....

The Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society may be able to help, as might the Records Office at Carmarthen. If you can't find a contact for the former, let me know, and I'll have a word with someone.

Wow! Thanks for all that useful information. I wasn't expecting any replies! At this very moment the only reply that would really help would be "go to this web site, and you will find a complete history", but it was worth a try! I can't really say anything about the location at the moment.

I've been waiting to exchange contracts on the site for several weeks. We passed what was supposed to be the final deadline yesterday, and still haven't sorted out all the problems. If the sale goes ahead it's going to be a fascinating project to investigate the history, but there's obviously nothing I can do by first thing on Monday! That's why it was a long shot. If I get it, I'll certainly make use of all the suggestions everyone has made, and report back. I was so surprised to come across the tramway when I was taken on a quick tour of the wood, that I didn't get my brain in gear fast enough to take a photo. I need to buy it so I can have a proper look!

Anyway, thanks again, and I'll let you know if there's good news next week, if the stress doesn't get me first :(

Archived