"New" Bachmann Mk1 coach roofs.

Guest Phil

Apologies for not having the relevant magazine and it's review to hand at the moment to quote from. The reviewer suggested that Bachmann's latest BCK in blue and grey livery has much finer roof ribs then similar models hitherto.

I've not seen this mentioned in any other modelling media, so does this suggest Bachmann are rereleasing it's mk1 range with restyled (remoulded) roofs ?

Comments ?

• RMweb Premium

Good to hear if they have actually done it, the last set of releases with the flush roof was an awful compromise!

Well, if they actually finally get it about right (to me, just visible - they are weld lines not ribs), I suppose any new coaches I buy won't need the time consuming mod. I still need to work out a way of putting the weld lines back onto smooth roofed coaches.

I take it Bachy are going to get the panels in the right place, not make it up...

Let us know where the review was when you find it...

Jim

Good to hear if they have actually done it, the last set of releases with the flush roof was an awful compromise!

Indeed I need to scribe the things on to my GUVs and RMB's! Much more time consuming than cutting the exiting ones down to a weld mark size..

Smaller marks is much better than no marks.

Hi again.

The review is in the December BRM and I hope "Dicky" is not offended if I quote from the anonymous reviewer.

"The model features the improved roof introduced after modellers were critical of the excessively pronounced ribs applied to the first Bachmann Mk1 coach models. Roof vents are of the ridge dome type and water tank fillers are represented with separate wire detail".

The model reviewed was 39-225B finished as M21236 in blue & grey and features a lift date of March 1971. and rides on B4 bogies. The reviewer wasn't convinced that the vehicle would have still remained vacuum braked by this time, but I have to say that I thought only a very small number of LM allocated Mk1 BCKs were dual braked.

The photos in the review certainly show the roof ribs as much more subtle, and would be further toned down with roof dirt to what they were - weldlines.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again.

The review is in the December BRM and I hope "Dicky" is not offended if I quote from the anonymous reviewer.

"The model features the improved roof introduced after modellers were critical of the excessively pronounced ribs applied to the first Bachmann Mk1 coach models. Roof vents are of the ridge dome type and water tank fillers are represented with separate wire detail".

The model reviewed was 39-225B finished as M21236 in blue & grey and features a lift date of March 1971. and rides on B4 bogies. The reviewer wasn't convinced that the vehicle would have still remained vacuum braked by this time, but I have to say that I thought only a very small number of LM allocated Mk1 BCKs were dual braked.

The photos in the review certainly show the roof ribs as much more subtle, and would be further toned down with roof dirt to what they were - weldlines.

My earliest carriage stock book to hand is 1983/4. M21236 is not listed, so presumably had been withdrawn by then, but W21229 is and was VB, dual heat on B1 bogies, and E21238 is also listed, VB, dual heat on CW bogies.

Seems very probable that M21236 was never dual braked - the dual CW and dual B4 examples tended to last longest of all.

Regards

Jim

I'm not quite sure where some of the ideas that people have about coaching stock come from, Phil. The vast majority of Mk1s converted to DB or AB back then were special purpose vehicles like refreshment cars and vans, and were only done to run with Mk2s; retro-fitting even part of the ordinary fleet just wouldnt have been justified. Other than the SR, which did seem to convert vehicles as a matter of policy, converted 'day' coaches were pretty much limited to a few vehicles used on Motorail services

I'm also pretty sure that 21236 would have been delivered with Commonwealths, as per a previous incarnation of this model

I'm not quite sure where some of the ideas that people have about coaching stock come from, Phil. The vast majority of Mk1s converted to DB or AB back then were special purpose vehicles like refreshment cars and vans, and were only done to run with Mk2s; retro-fitting even part of the ordinary fleet just wouldnt have been justified. Other than the SR, which did seem to convert vehicles as a matter of policy, converted 'day' coaches were pretty much limited to a few vehicles used on Motorail services

I'm also pretty sure that 21236 would have been delivered with Commonwealths, as per a previous incarnation of this model

Hi Ian

Thanks for that.

To be fair to the reviewer (whoever he or she was) I think they suggested the prototype was delivered with CWs.

I do agree with you (Ian) regarding the dual-braking, or non dual-braking of older stock, particularly when, in this case we are talking about just three years after the end of steam. There would have been few LMR dual-braked locos of less than type 4 status - maybe less than a 3rd of the class 40s, majority of "big Cromptons", a few dozen 25s and the majority of the LMR class 47. I doubt that every AC loco had been dual braked by then although I may be wrong.

My memories of BCKs are admittedly from the 1980s when they worked such services as the LMR-ER and return "York Mail", the Crewe-Cardiff mails, the Carstairs emergency coach (which was DB DH) and some Sr newspaper and mail trains. Apart from the SR ones (21265, 21267 spring to mind) which I think were AB most of the others were still vaccie in the 1980s I'd wager.

Still, it's good news from Bachmann

• RMweb Premium

My memories of BCKs are admittedly from the 1980s when they worked such services as the LMR-ER and return "York Mail", the Crewe-Cardiff mails, the Carstairs emergency coach (which was DB DH) and some Sr newspaper and mail trains. Apart from the SR ones (21265, 21267 spring to mind) which I think were AB most of the others were still vaccie in the 1980s I'd wager.

The 1983/84 ABC shows 19 BCKs in service. 12 were vacuum brake only and allocated ER (2), WR (3), LMR (5) and ScR (2). The other seven were air brake only and allocated to SR (6) and ScR (1). By '83 there wasn't a single dual brake example, and there were no SR allocated VB examples, so Phil is dead right...

Jim

Have Bachmann ever modelled its mk1's in later condition though? Its a useful prototype note but they all seem to come with end steps standard vacuum underframe.

Even pure vacuum coaches need a bit of modelling I realised when I looked in detail at the two types of vee hangar plus variation in vacuum reservoir tanks etc.

• RMweb Gold

Have Bachmann ever modelled its mk1's in later condition though? Its a useful prototype note but they all seem to come with end steps standard vacuum underframe.

Even pure vacuum coaches need a bit of modelling I realised when I looked in detail at the two types of vee hangar plus variation in vacuum reservoir tanks etc.

Certainly havent ever modelled the modified window frames on the later condition mk1s.

Certainly havent ever modelled the modified window frames on the later condition mk1s.

That's the least of the problems - I could bore you for hours with detailed differences that Bachmann have chosen to ignore (that frankly wouldn't be acceptable on a model loco) :D

Starting with the absolute lack of detail on the headstocks - a clip on dropped buckeye just doesn't cut it!

• RMweb Premium

That's the least of the problems - I could bore you for hours with detailed differences that Bachmann have chosen to ignore (that frankly wouldn't be acceptable on a model loco) :D

Starting with the absolute lack of detail on the headstocks - a clip on dropped buckeye just doesn't cut it!

Too right Bob...

I'm still undecided as to what the "best" way to do 1980s era Mark 1s in 4mm is. Removing details from the ends, adding others, headstocks, brake gear, b****y roof "ribs" - it's all a bit of a drag, considering Bachmann's offering was the be all and end all. I wouldn't think too hard about it if I was doing anything up to the mid 60s, but once the end steps started coming off and the window frames started going on, it's all a lot of bother.

The Mark 1 I've done that I'm happiest with is a Replica FO, with the Replica flush glazing and butchered ends. It certainly looks the part, and was a lot less effort than some other methods I've tried. I still haven't done the window frames on that one though.

If only Bachmann (or some enterprising third party) could mould a basic floor/end unit that would take an improved gangway and didn't have all the steps, jumpers, etc. moulded in... That would just leave the roof "ribs" as the major problem, and it seems Bachmann are finally getting round to sorting that out themselves (although I bet it'll be impossible to buy spare roof mouldings to sort out older coaches).

Grump over.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Would be interested to hear more....

I have a couple of mk 1s to convert to yellow things, and a pair of breaks for my VSOE set that will need to be very detailed to match the rest of the set. Not to mention my 80s rake.....

Would be interested to hear more....

I have a couple of mk 1s to convert to yellow things, and a pair of breaks for my VSOE set that will need to be very detailed to match the rest of the set. Not to mention my 80s rake.....

http://www.hmrs.org.uk/books/bookdetails.php?bookid=1030 Keith Parkin books would be a good start, he covers most of the variations. Even as build there are many detail differences brushed over by Bachmann (although to be fair this is to be expected).

NNK has a lovely etch of window frames to stick on coaches but he hasn't marketed it. He has also done an etch of roof rainstrips, coachboard clips and one for the end step detail. Sadly none on the market at the moment and he has had more pressing concerns of late.

Archived