Lighting up a Bachmann Class 20

I am going to purchase the 'weedkilling' train of two Class 20s sold by Kernow Model Rail Centre, but when I rang them this morning I was informed that the cab ends do not have operating lights.

I don't yet know whether the two locomotives making up this 'multiple unit' have 'domino' boxes, white discs or whatever, because the advertisements do not show a close-up of the cab ends, but I was advised that the 'lamps' are simple mouldings and do not have LEDs fitted.

Does anyone know whether the cab ends can be fitted with operating lamps, and if so, who supplies the required fittings?

Also, how (where) do the wires from the LEDs connect to Bachmann's 21-pin socket, or to the ESU sound chip (also 21-pin, of course)?

I usually have Howes of Oxford fit sound chips into my models, but whether they can fit the lighting as well is something I have yet to discover!

All the best,

Bill

I've sent Express Models an email explaining what I want to do, and am now waiting for a reply.

Let's hope that they are better than Olivia's Models. I rang Olivia's Models up in Sheffield to see if they would add lights and weather my locomotives (and I've got nine or so which require weathering!), but they only provide these services to locomotives which are purchased from them, which is a shame and not the way I would do business. OK, they might not make as much profit, but they would gather customers from far and wide. I am very, very disappointed with their 'service' (if you can call it that!).

Let's hope Express Models will get back to me soon.

I've just been in touch with Grimy Times regarding weathering and repainting of my diesel locomotive models, and they are getting back to me this lunchtime.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

All the best,

Bill

Thank you Mark. I've put in an order at Kernow Model Rail Centre for the Hunslet-Barclay weedkilling train of two Class 20s, and also ordered the Class 20 (with discs) lighting unit from Express Models, but with high intensity headlights added.

Now off to Cornwall to pick up my models and to visit friends there.

All the best,

Bill

Archived