Hi, Job,

I feel sure you should have some beer engines on the bar top, like these...........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/apr/14/beer-pub-guides

The alternative would be to have barrels on stands behind the bar, like these

http://www.theorchardbs1.co.uk/ or this http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/409492/beer-from-the-barrel-somerset-uk-80s/

Hope this helps!

Doug

[sometime pub step sitter with packet of Smiffs Crisps [yes, wiv blue paper salt twist] ]

• RMweb Premium

Excellent start; it really has the bleak atmosphere of many urban public bars of the era. May I suggest:

Beer hand pumps (as above), but no more than 3; mild, bitter and optional best bitter.

No tablecloth; even the saloon and the "posh" lounge would have bare table tops; it saved on laundry costs and they were easier to wipe clean. Some pubs were moving to Formica topped tables, but only in the public.

Lots of small paper items on the wall, haphazardly but neatly arranged, if you get my meaning; including calendars (not often illustrated), handbills for race meetings, local taxi, posters for fetes, amateur dramatics, social club outings etc.

Ashtrays! several, on bar and tables.

My experience of public bars was mainly mid-late 60s but in the 50s, if you were in the garden with your pop, access was often through the bar.

Pete

Hi Job

Nice looking pub. The booth arrangement puts me in mind more of a 1950s American diner though; I think I'd like to see quite a few individual (not necessarily matching) wooden chairs and some tall stools at the bar.

I agree with Pete that the walls might be quite cluttered, maybe some decoration like horse brasses or a plate shelf running the length of one wall quite high up displaying a haphazard selection of dinnerware.

I found a lovely photo here http://dukinfieldviews.blogspot.com/2010/07/talbot-pub-king-street-1950s.html. Looks to me as though these four may have been to a wedding, although the fella on the left of shot doesn't look too happy!

Lovely modelling; really enjoying following your builds.

Phil

Cliché alert!

Pubs of that era were divided into small rooms (although some London pubs had a long bar). The tap room and public bar had frosted glass windows with the name of the room and brewery, the lounge bar had net curtains. They were expressly designed so that you could not see inside, even through the doors and at night.

Experienced gained while sitting outside a pub with a lemonade while my parents were inside.

Thanks for the replies.

Will see what I can do with all the suggestions.

I used the layout from the Rovers Return Inn as a starting point. Noticed that a small cottage is very small to put everything in.

Used three cottages to create a publicbar, snug and select. The snug is out of side through the window. The door to the select is visible on the picture above.

With your input I have to think about possible solutions.

Like the suggestion of the frosted windows. Will see of I can create them.

Have to search on the internet for all those thiny things Pete suggested.

Also thanks for the links.

Will publish the result.

Job

With a liitle help from my RMweb friends, I have created a new pub interior.

The bar will be vissible in the finished building.

The table in the front you can not see, because of the frosted window.

I hope the result gives a better impression of a late 1950's pub.

post-11675-0-62732600-1315505320.jpg

post-11675-0-68525400-1315505339.jpg

Hi

Looking good,the bar has come on a lot.

If you want to add glasses may i suggest one idea i used.if remember correctly I had some clear spru that i heated , streched and cut to lengh ,adding a touch of paint.

My pumps where done same way with plain spru. although i like the signs on your pumps,wish i had thought of that.

Ive yet to plant pub and add little people,the layout is under construction.The photos where taken with just a peice of black card for road and background from my boxfile layout.

Another thing ive done so i can add a boozy bunch is attach the front windows with tacky wax enabling me access.I will probably change name of pub which is also temporarily attached with tacky wax , once its planted to suit location on layout.

Anyway great modeling.

Tel

post-6919-0-16334400-1315509255.jpgpost-6919-0-45049300-1315509244.jpgpost-6919-0-49902900-1315509230.jpg

Ah, now that takes me back; is that a Mk.3 Cortina I spy? A 2000E perhaps? That puts your pub firmly in the mid-70s unless I'm very much mistaken (of course, if it's a GXL that'd be the early 70s :unsure:).

Two fine pubs there chaps - very impressed :good:

Phil

Hi Phil

Thank you.

Its a car ive driven but not owned till now, be it alas a Oxford dicast of the car , a Corina mk3,same reg asthe one used in in Life on Mars , and yep puts it firmly in the Mid 70's :rolleyes:

Right where did i put my flairs and platform shoes ! :dance_mini:

Tel

Hi

Looking good,the bar has come on a lot.

If you want to add glasses may i suggest one idea i used.if remember correctly I had some clear spru that i heated , streched and cut to lengh ,adding a touch of paint.

My pumps where done same way with plain spru. although i like the signs on your pumps,wish i had thought of that.

Ive yet to plant pub and add little people,the layout is under construction.The photos where taken with just a peice of black card for road and background from my boxfile layout.

Another thing ive done so i can add a boozy bunch is attach the front windows with tacky wax enabling me access.I will probably change name of pub which is also temporarily attached with tacky wax , once its planted to suit location on layout.

Anyway great modeling.

Tel

post-6919-0-16334400-1315509255.jpgpost-6919-0-45049300-1315509244.jpgpost-6919-0-49902900-1315509230.jpg

Lovely pub.

Unfortunitly I only can work with paper and waterbased materials. Everything in my pub is from paper.

I tried to make some glases but they are to tiny for my.

The finished result of the pub I will show later on.

• 6 months later...

How much is a pint in your pub? ;)

Is this OO? its a great model btw!

I don't know the price of a pint. I'm living in the Netherlands and don't know the 1950's prices in a pub.

But I know a like a Guiness and have tasted some English Ales which I could buy here. I liked them.

And yes it's in OO.

Regards,

Job

• RMweb Gold

That's really great, you've really captured the feeling. I wasn't around for the '50s, but I've family photos of weddings and such that look very similar to this.

cheers

Jason

I don't know the price of a pint. I'm living in the Netherlands and don't know the 1950's prices in a pub.

But I know a like a Guiness and have tasted some English Ales which I could buy here. I liked them.

And yes it's in OO.

Regards,

Job

Hi Job

That is one lovely pub.

It really brings the atmosphere of the street to life.

Wonderful modelling.

For info, a pint of bitter or mild beer in the mid 1950's - lager wasn't in the UK then, would have cost around 9d to 1/0d (about 4p to 5p in todays UK money) Average working mans wage was approx. £4 to £5 a week.

• RMweb Premium

Job, this is a really cool (and accurate) model. I love the street and that factory at the end is just spot on. I'm originally from Birmingham and it reminds me so much of the many back streets I knew around the Hockley area where I worked in the early 80's. As far as the price of beer, I thought I had it good back in 1979 when a pint of good old M&B Mild was just 49 pence, but just imagine that - 5 pence a pint!!!

Regards,

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

Archived