'MONKS SIDING' - Modern Image MGR operations

Arpleymodeller

Hello

Now that Arpley Street has been fully dismantled I have been lacking a continuous run layout to run my expanding fleet of modern image locos and wagons. Work on Dallam TMD will be completed by the end of the year and this will be my future exhibiton layout. However I want to model modern image coal trains. I have been following and photographing the Liverpool Bulk Terminal- Fiddlers Ferry PS and Manisty Wharf - Fiddlers MGRs for a year now. As this is one of the few remaining class 60 hauled diagrams it is a good choice to model. I already have the 60s and HTAs and plan on modelling accurately these DB Schenker & Freightliner Heavy Haul MGRs. Although I will not be able to model a full 23 HTA rake I plan on modelling a 10-11 long HTA rake.

I was thinking of modelling Arpley Junction itself however becasue of space I have decided to model a location a mile down the line called 'Monks Siding'. However the trackplan of the real Monks Siding is basic so I have added a stabling siding and a chord with will represet the track that joins Fiddlers Ferry PS. So it will be a model that combines several locations of the ex LNWR freight line so although will not be a replica of the location it will be a distinct model of this freight only line.

The layout will consist of two identical baseboards which are both C shape. These will join together to form a rectangular baseboard with a central operating well. The dimensions will be

Length - 7ft

Width of each baseboard - 2ft ( 4ft in total with 2ft operating well.

Trackplan

post-6254-0-09711300-1315162995_thumb.png

Construction work will start within a month,here are some of my images of the trains that will be modelled

post-6254-0-55698700-1315163442_thumb.jpg

post-6254-0-67182800-1315163538_thumb.jpg

HTAs forming a 6F78 service

post-6254-0-12519200-1315163677_thumb.jpg

Loco types that will be the core fleet will be a variety of DB Schenker class 59s,60s and 66s along with Freightliner 66s and 70s. Also there will be the odd DB Schenker 37 and 67.

Updates to follow soon...

Regards

Lewis

Edited by Arpleymodeller
  • Like 5

Hello

A bit more informaton on the specification. All track will be Peco Streamline with minimum curve radius of 3rd equivalent although will be formed of flexitrack with the largest(outer curve) being 4th radius equivalent. Control will be DCC as standard with Dallams Elite being shared between the two layouts. The points will be run by my tried and trusted method of DC with SPDT switches.

The baseboards will be built the same as Dallams,that being 2x1 frame with a chipboard top and fold down legs allowing easy movement if neccesay. I am currently designing a trackplan for the fiddle yard and will post it tommorow.

Regards

Lewis

Hello again Ken,

What I intend to do is to combine a number of places along the ex LNWR freight only line which runs from Warrington to Liverpool. I am planning on incorporating the cross over and chord that links Fiddlers Ferry PS along with the signal box and level crossing at Monks Siding and also add a stabling siding which in reality is a mile up the line adjacant to Arpley Junction where the line from the run round at Latchford turns off towards the run round facilities at Manchester Ship Canal sidings. I like the name 'Monks Siding' so although the layout will not be a completely accurate replica of the real Monks Siding the model will be a general representation of this line.

As with regards to exhibitions I dont have any intention at the present to exhibit it once complete although as there will be a central operating well it does have the potential to be exhibited at a future date.

Regards

Lewis

Edited by Arpleymodeller

Hi Ben

The scale is OO (I will never model any other!)

The stabling siding will be able to hold 2 large locos such as 60s and will be used by DB Schenker for stabling locos that may take over from an in bound MGR while its at Fiddlers or just to simply stable locos while they are in between diagrams. Although in reality locos would be stabled at Arpley Yard it is being added to simply enhance operational interest. It could also be used to store crippled wagons while they wait for a mobile repair team to arrive by road!

Edited by Arpleymodeller

Hello Alex

Thanks for the photos,I too like 60s on HTAs-they seem suited to each other!

The 60s I will be modelling will be all from the DB Schenker operated fleet although as the overhaul program gets underway their numbers will begin to rise.

Regards

Lewis

Edited by Arpleymodeller

Hello again,

Today construction work on the baseboards has began. By the end of today the scenic board will be completed except for the legs. I plan on building the legs and fiddle yard baseboard by the end of the month with track laying beggining some time in October. I'll upload some images later on tonight.

Lewis

• 2 weeks later...

Well I said images to follow soon so I thought before I have some images of the baseboard ill upload these images of the majority of the current fleet positioned on the part built baseboard( the folding legs will be built tomorrow).

post-6254-0-46738000-1316707590_thumb.jpg

One of HTAs that has been worked on. This will be the end vehicle so has been fitted with buffers and conventional coupling as per the real class 60 hauled MGRs. Buffers are Shawplan, the pipes are from a Hornby class 60 while the screw link coupling is from a Bachmann 37.

post-6254-0-75617400-1316707680_thumb.jpg

post-6254-0-14960000-1316707984_thumb.jpg

I like the concept, but aren't 7' by 4' boards a bit unwieldy?

They do sound small however I have measured out what I want to achieve and the size fits ok. The curves as said are minimum 3rd radius equivalent with the outer curves 4th radius equivalent. All points will be Peco medium radius so the 'train set' look will be removed. 10ft x 5 ft would be better but space doenst allow it!

The main purpose of the layout is to model modern MGRs and I can fit a 11 long rake of HTAs which is half of the prototypical rake and can fit 10 HHAs which is a decent length too. On the scenic aspect the main feature is a cross over with a chord which can be accomodated well. Soon when the baseboards are finished the design will show its merit!

Regards

Lewis

Edited by Arpleymodeller

Hi The buffer fitted HTA looks good, nice bit of modelling, I look forward to seeing your progress on this layout, a constant procession of coal trains is an ideal model especially as ther'll be plenty of tugs on the business end , i've got a similar project going nowhere fast at the mo!

Chris

• Like 1