Sound in Hornby Bulleid Pacific's

trent

Hi Guys

First post here so go easy on me!

Having previously been keen on N, I've recently got interested in OO mainly due to the advantages of DCC sound and lighting and the amount of detailing on new RTR locos, however, when it comes to sound, I'm on what I think is a relatively steep learning curve due to the different amount of decoders, speakers and jargon surrounding their use and fitment.

I have a penchant for the SR and besides other machine's, I intend on running quite a few spam can's and rebuilt Bulleid Pacific's but having surfed the net and these forums for a while cannot seem to find any recommendation on what's good (best?) to fit or what others have experience with.

So, is there anyone out there who can recommend a suitable sound decoder and speaker system that will provide realistic Bulleid Pacific sounds to match the motion movement? Long term I may want to add a smoke system to some of the loco's but that's a question for a different day!

Any help you can provide very much appreciated. I've learnt a lot from this forum over the last few weeks, it's just I can't find any specific answers to my questions above and I prefer to learn from others that have been there.

Martin

Most of the RTR suppliers have 'done' the Bulleid Pacifics and, in real terms, the spam can sounds much the same as the rebuilds although I always think the spam can has a slightly softer chuff.

These are three cylinder locos so six chuffs per wheel revolution. Again the RTR boys will have honed the CV values to get the best from them. Once above speed step ten it is a bit academic as you can't count them that quickly or that accurately.

Fitting the spam can and the rebuild with sound chip and speaker assuming the later Hornby super detail offerings, requires removal of the weight. This requires surgery on the rebuild as the weight will not go past its mounting boss unless you remove it. The spam can is easier except that the weight is used to hold in the valve gear. I used sheet lead and the weight mounting screw so that the valve gear is now held in and the weight replaced. A speaker on top of the lead is directly under the funnel.

The rebuild requires a small weighted housing for decoder and speaker to be pushed up the smokebox.

Straightforward enough but the spam can is light years easier.

Thanks for the reply David. That helps.

I've actually discovered some of the methods of fitting decoders which have been posted on the web in various places, it was actual recommendations on what's good out there, or what people are using and their thoughts/views.

Have you got any experience on this? Having a look round some of the regular's websites I don't find many that are offering Bulleid Pacific sounds. Perhaps I'm missing them.

Martin

I fitted a Howes sound decoder to my Hornby unmodified West Country 'Wilton'. This one was not DCC-ready so had to be hard-wired. I had already added some sheet lead to increase the weight by 100 grams, although there were two parts to my additions; the main body shell and what would have been the smokebox area. I mention this because I had to trim the forward lump to allow fitting a speaker.

While I am not a fan of smaller speakers, I wanted to keep the speaker in the locomotive rather than the tender. I found that the standard 23mm round speaker would not quite fit, so tried a 20mm one and that sat nicely just inside the smokebox door. The sound is quite adequate and comes out through the chimney and front end of the loco. I have attached a video clip taken on my old layout to help give an idea of what it is like.

th_HowesWestCountryClasstake2-movie.jpg

Thanks for your reply SRman, sounds good although the whistle comes over perhaps not as crisp as it should do but it can be difficult to tell without hearing first hand. I listened to the Crompton also which seemed very good too. Nice looking layout you got there, I wondered how the car ended up in the tree?!!!

Just spoken to Howes but they currently don't have any decoders in stock.

Anyone got any experience of South West Digital or Olivia's Trains? Is there anyone else to try? Interesting that Howes only load sound on to ESU chips.

Thanks

Martin

Not in any particular order:

The car was an old Minix one I painted up to resemble the Harry Potter one - I even put the correct registration number on it! I don't have any Whomping Willows so the oak tree had to do instead. :D

Howes get decoders in in waves - it is just a case of being patient.

I have no experience with steam sounds from other sources but I was not particularly impressed with the class 50 diesel sounds from Olivias Trains. South West Digital's diesel sounds are usually good (some a little better, some a little worse than Howes) but I don't like their "drivability" as much as Howes. Bryan from Howes will tailor sounds upon request, so, for example, my Standard class 5MT has an SR 'Arthur' whistle, and one of my 37s has a different set of horn sounds to the other. One of those 37s and my class 24 also have seagulls on them!

SWD also only use ESU. Both Howes and SWD now use LokSound v4, whereas all of mine are older v3.5 decoders.

I've just been on the phone to SWD and during the conversation there was mention of a bullied that has been recorded and the hope is to have it ready for November (in time for a show, sorry didn't catch the name).

Mark

Thanks again for the reply.

I think using the Loksound v4 is the way to go, just need to decide now on who has the best sounds. Can't find many Bulleid's out there with sounds...anyone else?

At the moment most if not all V4 decoders will have the old V3.5 projects in them. I think we will need to wait a bit for fully functional ESU V4 Loksound projects.

I've just been on the phone to SWD and during the conversation there was mention of a bullied that has been recorded and the hope is to have it ready for November (in time for a show, sorry didn't catch the name).

Mark

That will be Warley then. I suspect that a lot of the RTR suppliers will use Warley to launch V4 projects actually written for the new decoders.

At the moment most if not all V4 decoders will have the old V3.5 projects in them. I think we will need to wait a bit for fully functional ESU V4 Loksound projects.

Would a v3.5 sound project sound better on a v4 decoder?

It does indeed sound like some new projects are being prepared specifically for use in v4 decoders, well, I hope anyway!

Thanks again for the reply.

I think using the Loksound v4 is the way to go, just need to decide now on who has the best sounds. Can't find many Bulleid's out there with sounds...anyone else?

I've no idea if he has the sounds you need, (I don't think he's keen on kettles!) but the man for top class ESU sounds is Legomanbiffo, who sometimes posts here. His diesel and AC electric locos are outstanding with tremendous drivability that knocks all the others into the shade.

Paul

I've no idea if he has the sounds you need, (I don't think he's keen on kettles!) but the man for top class ESU sounds is Legomanbiffo, who sometimes posts here. His diesel and AC electric locos are outstanding with tremendous drivability that knocks all the others into the shade.

Paul

Tks for that Paul, I'll PM him to see if he can help. Worth knowing about the dirties as I intend adding a Crompton to my loco stock.

Martin

Tks for that Paul, I'll PM him to see if he can help. Worth knowing about the dirties as I intend adding a Crompton to my loco stock.

Martin

Martin,

I can't find a 'Legomanbiffo' YouTube of your Crompton, but I know for a fact that he has a full set of Class 33 sounds with which to create one if not already extant.

Paul

Personally, I'd be waiting to see if a Bullied Pacific with sound appears in Hornby's 2012 catalogue. Even if the sounds aren't to your liking, at least the tender connection and internals will have been re engineered so all you need do is reblow the chip. I'll be interested to see if this year's re release of the Q1 will be tweaked to be 'sound ready' (socket/internals) as this might suggest a sound version in 2012.

Personally, I'd be waiting to see if a Bullied Pacific with sound appears in Hornby's 2012 catalogue. Even if the sounds aren't to your liking, at least the tender connection and internals will have been re engineered so all you need do is reblow the chip. I'll be interested to see if this year's re release of the Q1 will be tweaked to be 'sound ready' (socket/internals) as this might suggest a sound version in 2012.

Thanks for the replies Mark and Paul.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens at Warley as I'm sure Hornby are aware a RTR sound Bulleid Pacific will be high on the wants list so it wouldn't be a sursprise to see one in the list of 2012 releases.

I had a very enjoyable chat with Caroline at SWD yesterday and she confirmed what Mark had said above and also good Bulleid Pacific sounds were one most requests by modellers. They have been recording various loco's specifically for a Loksound v4 project. Steve is working on it right now and it should be ready around mid October time, certainly in time for Warley.

For me at least this sounds like the way forward for conversions so I've got my order in already!

Martin

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this, Howes got some more decoders in last month so I sent one of my MN's to Howes to be chipped for DCC running and sound. Mike provided a great service and I'm very pleased with the results.

Lok v4.0 with rectangular speaker 50334 fitted to the tender. It's not very good but I made a recording on my test track. Take a look below:

{youtube]

Martin

Archived