The Next Size Up

FR FAN

I'm in the early stages of building a 7mm FR carriage (old Observation Carr 100).

Having spent best part of 20 years scratchbuilding in 4mm it's taking a while to get used to how huge these are in this scale....

That's what happens when you jump 2 sizes (S and 5.5mm)..........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This isn't helping my ideas of building some 'bigger little trains'! I was contemplating WHR Ashbury No 23 as a stand alone souvenier of our trip on the line, but wouldn't know where to begin! I also know that it would inevitably lead to more stock until a loco was required, and then I'd be in trouble!

Its a very nice bit of building though, as is Glaslyn, most impressive!

J

This isn't helping my ideas of building some 'bigger little trains'! I was contemplating WHR Ashbury No 23 as a stand alone souvenier of our trip on the line, but wouldn't know where to begin!

Its a very nice bit of building though, as is Glaslyn, most impressive!

J

It doesn't have to be a scratchbuild, i know just where you could buy a kit for No. 23 in 7mm!

Phil T.

• 2 weeks later...

7mm is a big scale - if you're used to working in 4mm scale it seems huge at first. Then after a while it seems 'normal', and the 4mm stuff looks tiny. How did I work on that without a watchmaker's eye piece? one thinks. Then the 7mm stuff starts to look quite small, and you start to worry...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived