Ratio Oerlikon EMU - DCC Chipped

Having purchased my HO Ratio Oerlikon EMU from a former member of RMweb I have toyed with the idea of fitting it with DCC chip in order that it can make guest appearance on my Croxley WRD layout, Well at long last I got my finger out and did it using a Bachmann 2 function chip.

At nearly 60 years old is this the oldest model so far to have been DCC chipped?

OerlikonAnbrico1.jpg

The roof section above the electrical compartment in the Motor Coach is removable so this made it easier to fit a DCC chip

OerlikonAnbrico2.jpg

Here is the unit ready to make an appearance at the Mid Essex Show on 17th September

Work is continuing on my 4mm Oerlikon EMU as well

Xerces Fobe

I have been informed by Paul; Colbeck of Anbrico Felixjaz that this Oerlikon is not an Anbrico model. Has anybody got any ideas on its parentage? The model is wooden bodied with a metal roof and underframes and appears to be hand painted I understand that there was another similar model on eBay a couple of years ago.

The most commonly found wooden bodied 00 models were by Ratio, CCW, and Kings Cross Precision. Models were body only - the other parts had to be supplied separately. Roofs of all makes were wooden on all those I have seen - although I expect other parts were substituted. Typical characteristics - although I expect there were exceptions:

- Ratio models all wood bodies with body side windows stamped or cut out including the ends but the buffer beam was a stamped L shaped metal with the lower part of the L the buffer beam and the larger part of the L used to secure it to the coach floor. I think it had two screw holes. Where a motor bogie was intended to be installed, a U shaped bit of stamped metal was supplied that would fit over a motor bogie so that it could be secured at the top in a similar manner to Tri-ang motor bogies.

- CCW Early models had the body side below the windows a separate piece then the body side pieces between the windows had to fixed on to the lower body side and then the top of the body with a strip of wood above the windows. The ends were also wood. Later CCW models were similar to Ratio with the bodies stamped or cut out but ends as metal castings.

- Kings Cross Precision very similar to Ratio but maybe without the metal L shaped buffer beam - not seen enough to generalise

Generally speaking, the Ratio and Kings Cross Precision models were more refined in their definition using a finer grade wood and look better. Kings Cross Precision models are less common than CCW and Ratio. Body sides of most or all of these vehicles consisted of three laminations of ply below the windows and the middle part of sandwich omitted from window level so the glazing could be tucked between the first and third lamination. At least both Ratio and CCW offered substantial ranges of vehicles including a wide range of multiple units - particularly Southern types. Ratio also produced a Derby Lightweight DMU. CCW made a Brighton Belle. At least Ratio and CCW also offered 0 gauge kits very similar to their 00 in construction.

I am not sure whether there is enough here to identify your model, but it may have been scratch built. However, there were probably also other manufacturers of wooden coach kits and I cannot find a suitable match in Ratio and CCW catalogues from the 1950s but some models that existed are not listed. All Anbrico vehicles I have seen are made mainly of brass or steel construction.

The most commonly found wooden bodied 00 models were by Ratio, CCW, and Kings Cross Precision. Models were body only - the other parts had to be supplied separately. Roofs of all makes were wooden on all those I have seen - although I expect other parts were substituted. Typical characteristics - although I expect there were exceptions:

- Ratio models all wood bodies with body side windows stamped or cut out including the ends but the buffer beam was a stamped L shaped metal with the lower part of the L the buffer beam and the larger part of the L used to secure it to the coach floor. I think it had two screw holes. Where a motor bogie was intended to be installed, a U shaped bit of stamped metal was supplied that would fit over a motor bogie so that it could be secured at the top in a similar manner to Tri-ang motor bogies.

- CCW Early models had the body side below the windows a separate piece then the body side pieces between the windows had to fixed on to the lower body side and then the top of the body with a strip of wood above the windows. The ends were also wood. Later CCW models were similar to Ratio with the bodies stamped or cut out but ends as metal castings.

- Kings Cross Precision very similar to Ratio but maybe without the metal L shaped buffer beam - not seen enough to generalise

Generally speaking, the Ratio and Kings Cross Precision models were more refined in their definition using a finer grade wood and look better. Kings Cross Precision models are less common than CCW and Ratio. Body sides of most or all of these vehicles consisted of three laminations of ply below the windows and the middle part of sandwich omitted from window level so the glazing could be tucked between the first and third lamination. At least both Ratio and CCW offered substantial ranges of vehicles including a wide range of multiple units - particularly Southern types. Ratio also produced a Derby Lightweight DMU. CCW made a Brighton Belle. At least Ratio and CCW also offered 0 gauge kits very similar to their 00 in construction.

I am not sure whether there is enough here to identify your model, but it may have been scratch built. However, there were probably also other manufacturers of wooden coach kits and I cannot find a suitable match in Ratio and CCW catalogues from the 1950s but some models that existed are not listed. All Anbrico vehicles I have seen are made mainly of brass or steel construction.

Thanks for your detailed response which is very helpful

Nigel

• 6 months later...

Thanks for your detailed response which is very helpful

Nigel

I actually have an unbuilt example in the original Ratio box; be quite happy to make details avalable! I'm not sure whether to build or preserve it!

I am looking to build the excellent London Road Models production; I am thinking that the Phoenix SAB5 bogie may be suitable?

Peter tanton

I actually have an unbuilt example in the original Ratio box; be quite happy to make details avalable! I'm not sure whether to build or preserve it!

I am looking to build the excellent London Road Models production; I am thinking that the Phoenix SAB5 bogie may be suitable?

Peter tanton

Hi Peter,

Thank you for answering my question - is the kit a 2 or 3 car? I used a Tenshodo motor bogie to power mine. I am building a London Road models kit too however I have not worked on it for a whille you are aware that it is not a complete kit?

DSCN4453a.jpg

As for your Ratio kit I would buils it as it least you can run it amd enjoy it. Mine went down well at the recent LT acton Museum Show - hopefully some pictures may well apppear in Underground News in the near future.

XF

Hi Peter,

Thank you for answering my question - is the kit a 2 or 3 car? I used a Tenshodo motor bogie to power mine. I am building a London Road models kit too however I have not worked on it for a whille you are aware that it is not a complete kit?

DSCN4453a.jpg

As for your Ratio kit I would buils it as it least you can run it amd enjoy it. Mine went down well at the recent LT acton Museum Show - hopefully some pictures may well apppear in Underground News in the near future.

XF

Hello Nigel; I hadn't noticed it was your goodself! We corresponded over the GEC sets; Chris Leigh tells me W and T have the moulds for the ands s. My Ratio kit is a two car; I'll photograph it.

Hello Nigel; I hadn't noticed it was your goodself! We corresponded over the GEC sets; Chris Leigh tells me W and T have the moulds for the ands s. My Ratio kit is a two car; I'll photograph it.

Hi Peter I did not realise it was you either - Do you know who W and T are as I would like to get some more ends GEC made?

Best regards,

Nigel.

Nigel; I spoke to W & T some time ago having received the informatiuon that they had the moulds for the ends. They did say they would consider a short run and I wondered about contacting the LMS Society as an extra customer? Checking yeterday on the internet they now seem to have been subsumed into Scalelink so I'll ring them tomorrow and what chaaces there might be of a production run. I guess Vince Worthington could use some for his Euston model?

All the best

Peter

I have a boxed set of 00 gauge whitemetal SR coach bogies, I thought (but could be wrong) from adds in the model press they sold underframe details as well in 4mm scale

I have a boxed set of 00 gauge whitemetal SR coach bogies, I thought (but could be wrong) from adds in the model press they sold underframe details as well in 4mm scale

Regarding the GEC stock I have phoned Scalelink and Bob Wyatt is rooting around for the Chris Leigh mould masters as I type this! He tells me minimum run of 15 is reasonably feasible. I will let you know when I ring him later.

Regards

peter Stanton

Regarding the GEC stock I have phoned Scalelink and Bob Wyatt is rooting around for the Chris Leigh mould masters as I type this! He tells me minimum run of 15 is reasonably feasible. I will let you know when I ring him later.

Regards

peter Stanton

Thanks Peter I think I will be dusting off my 4mm Farish suburbans in the not to distant future then!

Nigel

• 1 month later...

Hi,

By GEC stock do you mean the 1927 LMS built electrics, D1727 and D1728? If so, I'll happily buy sufficient to make up four driving coaches (2 x motor brake third and 2 x driving trailor third) as these were identical to the 1927 built Liverpool-Southport-Ormskirk compartment stock.

Stan

Thanks Peter I think I will be dusting off my 4mm Farish suburbans in the not to distant future then!

Nigel

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

By GEC stock do you mean the 1927 LMS built electrics, D1727 and D1728? If so, I'll happily buy sufficient to make up four driving coaches (2 x motor brake third and 2 x driving trailor third) as these were identical to the 1927 built Liverpool-Southport-Ormskirk compartment stock.

Stan

My aplologies Stan I must have missed your post yes I do mean 1927 LMS built electrics - I assume that D1727 and D1728 are the works build numbers; here is one of the conversions

IMG_8228.jpg

XF

My aplologies Stan I must have missed your post yes I do mean 1927 LMS built electrics - I assume that D1727 and D1728 are the works build numbers; here is one of the conversions

IMG_8228.jpg

XF

Hi - and thanks for the reply . . .

Can you advise whether I can obtain the 4 ends that I mentioned in my earlier message?

ATB,

Stan

Hi - and thanks for the reply . . .

Can you advise whether I can obtain the 4 ends that I mentioned in my earlier message?

ATB,

Stan

I have been trying to source these myself - No Nonsense Kits did manufacture some ends and Alistair was going to run some more off for me, however he unfortunately passed away soon after our conversation.

I think it would not be to difficult to modify the end of a GF suburban - I will have a go and take some photos detailing the steps - however this will not be for another week or so!

Kind regards

XF

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I got in touch with Scale Link who replied that they were happy to do a run of ends, subject to agreement from Chris Leigh who made the original masters. I received Chris's positive response this morning and have forwarded it to Scale Link. If anyone else is interested in obtaining cast ends, please PM me or contact Scale Link asap.

Stan

I have been trying to source these myself - No Nonsense Kits did manufacture some ends and Alistair was going to run some more off for me, however he unfortunately passed away soon after our conversation.

I think it would not be to difficult to modify the end of a GF suburban - I will have a go and take some photos detailing the steps - however this will not be for another week or so!

Kind regards

XF

Nothing received as of this morning . . .

Stan

Hi Stan

Great news - of possible I would like 5 sets (10 ends +doors)This is is for 2 LMS Luggage Cars and a couple of 3 cars + some for future projects ( M&ASJ set maybe!)

Thanks again

Regards,

XF

Archived