Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Was we brung up proper?

boogaloo

Aren't childood memories brilliant, if we wrote a book giving all the incidents/wrong doings etc, it would never get published without massive deletions. Mine from 1950 when I was 4 to 1969 when I got married and tried to settle down to an adult life, (still trying), would amount to about 2 or 3 pages.

webbo

All we need now is 3 Yorkshiremen. If you miss the reference you are too young.

John

I am a Yorky and I'm not too young, can't think what the reference is unless it's the three ridings.

webbo

As nice as nostalgia is.

I really don't see the old ways as being something that should be missed/coveted. I'm only alive today through sheer luck and at any number of points in my life, it could have gone either way.

I was a BMX rider as were my friends and they would knock themselves unconcious a lot because we didn't have helmets or pads.

Motorcyclist were killed regularly due to not having to wear helmets, people were flung out of cars due to not having to wear seat belts.

Girls at my school were grabbed by "wrong-uns" on more than one occasion.

One of my teachers was caught having a relationship with one of the girls from my year. Kids were born addicted to nicotine and poorly because the mother had been drinking gin all the way through.

I for one would rather live today, it's a safe place, where I know my loved ones have got a better chance for survial.

Sorry, just my view and people are entitled to theirs too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am a Yorky and I'm not too young, can't think what the reference is unless it's the three ridings.

webbo

Surely everyone's seen/heard the Monty Python sketch with (ISTR) 4 Yorkshiremen, increasingly claiming greater deprivation/ hardship as the conversation went on. Classic.

I was going to mention it earlier, but succombed to PC.

Me big bruvver an' me regularly collected bomb shrapnel from our South London suburban back garden; we knew what it did to buildings. By 1945 we would also have had a fair understanding of what happened to any family in a house hit by a doodlebug or V2 even. But it is horrifying to think that some frogs may also have suffered.

Surely everyone's seen/heard the Monty Python sketch with (ISTR) 4 Yorkshiremen, increasingly claiming greater deprivation/ hardship as the conversation went on. Classic.

Yes I remember it now. Problem is, they did many memorable scetches and you tend to forget a lot of them.

webbo

• RMweb Premium

When I did my HND at Liverpool poly (1982)we had to give a talk about something I chose my childhood as I was about 8 years older than most on the course. I had only described being born in the front room of a two up two down house with only cold water and electric light when the tutor interupted saying it was a shaggy dog story, she simply could not conceive that I could have lived in a house where there was a tin bath in front of the fire in the kitchen. It was true even though I am from Yorkshire!

Nowt non-PC about that - the Python "Four Yorkshiremen" were a lot of effete Southerners compared with some of the old lads who used to frequent Silverwood Miners Welfare Club in Rotherham. One regular in particular used to take grim satisfaction in rubbishing all the "turns". One night, a comedian was going down particularly well, and I overheard someone say: "Oh come on, Dad, you must admit he's good". "Aye", the oldster grudged - "I suppose 'e's all right if yer likes laughin'..."

• Like 6

I was sharply told off a few weeks ago by a concerned mother, for regaling her ten year old boy with my favoured spot at his age, the rim of one of the ventilator shafts above the Welwyn tunnels; these were very low, eminently climable with a little fallen timber from the surrounding woodland which obscured the site from adult observation. Good job I didn't get as far as our version of 'rush and roll it' (that's 'Russian Roulette' for you sophisticated types, we neither had the revolver or the full comprehension of the title) the game known as 'getting your own back'. This entailed waiting for a train to enter the tunnel, and commencing urination. Did we know how to make our own entertainment for free, or what?

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

Now from the point of view of one born in 1935, I can clearly recall Grandpa saying that" there were those brought up, some were dragged up, and there were even those scraped up!" He was the artist that invented, Tiger Tim and the Bruin Boys (in 'Rainbow' comic for the little ones) about 1885, and and Caseys Court in 'Chips', and tons else - anyone remember those?

• RMweb Premium

I well remember building Airfix kits representing various warships, then loading them with tissue paper, lighter fuel and bangers and setting them afloat on our local stream. First they started smoking, then they went bang. As far as I know the worst casualties were a startled duck or eight!

I remember paddling in the stream, walking over the rocks in bare feet. I remember being about 8 years old and working out how to climb onto our neigbours garage roof, so that I could peer through his window at the secret car he kept in there (A Rolls Royce dating back to the 1930s).

We also made a den out of a demolished house, complete with dodgy floorboards over a cellar, which had no way out unless you made up some ramps from rotten planks of wood! Of course we shouldn't have been there and of course it might have been dangerous but somehow we lived through it, enjoyed the experience and remember it 40 years later! What will our present generation remember? Getting a high score on Super Mario?

Looking back it seemed to me that as long as we didn't get hurt (and if we did it was always our own fault, never anybody elses) or caught, then we had a freedom to explore the world for ourselves. No looking the world up on Google for us, we went out and found it!

I would not be too keen to belittle the hazards of asbestos as I have known people who have been struck down by the stuff and it isn't pleasant. Hearing stories of apprentices making footballs of the stuff and kicking them around in their breaks and then nearly all of them being dead way before their time make you think long and hard about that one!

Apart from that, I had a right telling off from one of my daughters today. I nearly ate a peanut from a bowl in a pub. Of course I would have died instantly if I had put it in my mouth because somebody else might have touched it first!

Edited by t-b-g

Apart from that, I had a right telling off from one of my daughters today. I nearly ate a peanut from a bowl in a pub. Of course I would have died instantly if I had put it in my mouth because somebody else might have touched it first!

Unlikely to be fatal, but it's what else that person might have touched whilst in the pub that should put anyone off eating snacks out of a communal bowl! :O

Nowt non-PC about that - the Python "Four Yorkshiremen" were a lot of effete Southerners compared with some of the old lads who used to frequent Silverwood Miners Welfare Club in Rotherham. One regular in particular used to take grim satisfaction in rubbishing all the "turns". One night, a comedian was going down particularly well, and I overheard someone say: "Oh come on, Dad, you must admit he's good". "Aye", the oldster grudged - "I suppose 'e's all right if yer likes laughin'..."

Thats a bit like Thurcroft miners welfare, there was a little group of retired miners who always sat in a corner near the bar, they rubbished everything and anybody while they played crib or dominoes, 2 of them were always chewing baccy. Their usual answer to anyone who did a bit of moaning about life in particular was "tha shud av bin born when we were, then tha can moan". But thinking about it most of the working mens clubs were all nearly the same regarding members.

webbo

Unlikely to be fatal, but it's what else that person might have touched whilst in the pub that should put anyone off eating snacks out of a communal bowl! :O

Mmm... either you have a "nut allergy" and die as a result of anaphylactic shock, or you may remember a test that was done years ago on a bowl of peanuts in a pub. If I recall, they found about 90 different urine traces on the peanuts.

Mmm... either you have a "nut allergy" and die as a result of anaphylactic shock, or you may remember a test that was done years ago on a bowl of peanuts in a pub. If I recall, they found about 90 different urine traces on the peanuts.

Those mints in the bowl as you leave the restaurant should be avoided for pretty much the same reason (no, not allergies).

John

• RMweb Gold

One day I was doing sums and the teacher (nasty bu**er he was), leaned over and asked if I had used a ruler to draw the line underneath. Obviously I hadn't so he took my ruler and smacked my hand with it - several times.

Ah, rulers. Recall a General Science lesson where we were working away, and one boy drew a freehand line. "Use a ruler, Phipps - don't just slash across the page!" came the admonishment, while boys all over the class tried desperately to suppress giggles.

I'm not quite sure where I sit in this thread. Born 1948, but have a distinct memory of childhood being a frustrating time. One had lots of dreams but no money. Never quite pulled the girls one really wanted. Emancipation came at nearly-17, when classmates started passing the driving test, and suddenly freedom loomed.

• Like 1

It originated on radio in "I'm sorry, I'll read that again" featuring most of the Pythons.

stephen fry mode=on

Time to queue up the QI siren and give everyone -20 points.

The sketch in fact originates from "At last the 1948 Show" and was written by Barry Cryer and Marty Feldman. Performed by Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Grahame Chapman, and Marty Feldman. http://youtu.be/-eDaSvRO9xA It was on BBC2 a couple of weeks ago when they ran a bio on Marty Feldman.

stephen fry mode=off

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 1

Frogs?

At school some people would experiment with calcium carbide and seagulls.

In the 1950s there were still a lot of ex WW11 guns about. You could blow the bark of one side of a chestnut tree with an adapted bullet. At least 25% of the kids had guns, some legal, many not. 303 bullets clamped in a vice and shooting at them with an airgun was another good game.

Climbing on railway bridges, crawling through sewer pipes and avoiding live ammo were all part of growing up. I used to volunteer for the butts and loved to sit there with the bullets passing about nine inches above my head.

I gave up swimming in the local resovoir after an incedent with a rather bloated dead horse.

Milk was of course warm and straight from the cow or better still goat.

At least we were too busy to have time to think about starting a riot.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
.... At least we were too busy to have time to think about starting a riot. Bernard

I can remember when (1950s)living in a small seaside town adults talking about the "Teddy Boy" gang that come down and "rioted". I wonder what those 1950s hooligans who must now be in their 70s thought about the recent disturbances.