Clever Pannier?

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I really like the latest 'kit' from Comet Models.

If you have not seen the article in BRM it is a complete kit using a RTR body of a WR Pannier Tank and a specially set up collection of Comet 'bits' (which look very good in the article picture). It is aimed at the 'beginner'. Seems like a splendid idea if it helps folk get into loco kit building.

P

Bachmann 8750 body? There was a load of them about when they put something like 8715 on them in GWR livery by accident and did a new run.

The High Level kit is pretty good for a beginner tbh for anyone who could source the body and wheels. The gearbox design on that is rather superb too.

• RMweb Gold

I also believe it to be the former Mainline/Replica body. This is a good idea, and is entirely consistent with previous Comet loco kits, such as the 8F, which used the older Hornby body, with etched bits to improve areas such as the cab, their own etched tender and chassis.

The High Level chassis kit is superb, I agree, but I wouldn't describe it as suitable for beginners - the Comet version is probably more suited to beginners and looks to be a good one, too.

"The advert image chassis has been built incorrectly with the brake pull rods behind the wheels rather than in front"

If there's such a thing as reincarnation I'm coming back as Murphy so I can claim all the royalties on my Law. Why is it, when there are two photos to pick from, does the wrong one always get chosen? Anyway, correct snap in next advert.

Geoff

Comet Models

• RMweb Gold

LCP22 - http://www.cometmode...tpic.php/2/1019 - in the current catalogue.

That came without any words Cap'n and at £19.50 what is it an ad for I wonder - just the frames & spacers? The complete package idea strikes me as excellent idea (not sure what to do with a stock of jigs mind you) but a version without the body would, I think, still be very appealing - especially to the likes of me with the bodies already to hand.

LCP22 is Loco Chassis Pack 22, i.e., frames, spacers, coupling rods, balance weights, brakes, axle bearings, nuts and bolts,...

All the packages in the kit are available separately, but it is aimed at beginners who are too perplexed to ask what they need to buy. The assembly jig is included to give the modeller the best chance of having success with their first chassis so that they feel confident to go on and tackle others in the future.

Geoff

Comet Models

• RMweb Premium

The pic (& info) on the Comet web site is excellent. It makes this package look even more tempting. I think this idea of supplying such 'explicit' instructions is a huge step forward in kit construction and the illustrations/pictures on a CD is a brilliant aid to 'beginners' and maybe even the more experienced?

Ebay or similar would take spare jigs and spare bodies so fear not.

This is the sort of thing Hobby Holidays should use on a 'beginners' loco building day/two day course. Attendees could have a loco completed within the time of the course; (maybe even with the chassis painted as well) and still have time to enjoy lots of Jo's fine cakes :no: .

Nice one Geoff.

P @ 36E

Archived