Covhops in Kent

DavidLong

• RMweb Premium

There have been a number of published photographs taken in the late 1960s of Covhops at Grain and Hoo Junction. They all seem to be in Soda Ash traffic but I am unclear as to why they would be at these particular locations. Does anyone have any information about the traffic flows that they may have been involved in.

On a slightly related issue I see that one of the options in the Cambridge Custom Transfers section for Covhops is a 'Return to Belvedere SR'. Again I would be grateful for any information about the use of wagons so branded.

David

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A quick check on the net finds that Soda Ash is used in the petrol refining process, so the Grain wagon would most likely be for the former BP refinery at that location.

Bob Wallace

Bob,

Thanks for the reply which I had completely missed. After a few weeks I had given up hope of any replies! The connection between soda ash and refining would make perfect sense in the case of Grain and, therefore, Hoo Junction.

David

• RMweb Premium

On Belvedere, there's a flickr pic of the British Gypsum sidings at Belvedere, which might be the answer.

Don't remember seeing covhops in Kent when I lived there, spotting from 77-86 ish, so I suspect the traffics had finished by then.

Thanks EWD, I'd missed your response as well! The Grain refinery closed in 1982 but I might have expected the Covhops to still be running until then if Bob's supposition about the soda ash/refining connection is correct. My modelling period is the mid-1960s and they are very much in evidence at Hoo Junction in that period.

David

Guest stuartp

On Belvedere, there's a flickr pic of the British Gypsum sidings at Belvedere, which might be the answer.

Don't remember seeing covhops in Kent when I lived there, spotting from 77-86 ish, so I suspect the traffics had finished by then.

Not Kent, but more Covhops in gypsum traffic here: http://davemcalone.z...C88A3A#hcc88a3a

There was/is also a British Gypsum plant at Robertsbridge - isn't that down there somewhere ?

• RMweb Premium

Still there (Mountfield), though it now takes traffic in by rail and manufactures plasterboard on site. I'd go for the oil refinery option, though.

Gypsum imported via Southampton I think. I'm also inclined towards the refinery traffic for observations at Hoo Junction.

British Gypsum at Belvedere looks like it might be the answer to the Cambridge Custom 'Return to Belvedere' transfers.

Thanks to all for the responces.

David

There was a BOCM place by the river just upstream from Erith reach. There was aline to it which connected to the 'main' line near to Harrow Manorway SB.

Archived