L176 Etched Brass Station Seat Kit by Peter Clark Models

I got my order of 3 station seats from Ten Commandments through today. They are L176 etched brass kits by Peter Clark Models and I've got no idea what to do with them!

The instructions are way too vague for a rookie like me and I wondered whether anyone had any experience of doing this kit before that could possibly give me a few pointers?

Many thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

By the lack of response it looks like you might be the pathfinder - good luck.

It might help for us to see the etches and what goes for instructions - but as that might infringe copyright I'm not suggesting ...

A call to the supplier might be beneficial as they probably would like to sell other kits and would like to see yours completed and recommendations flow from it?

There can't be THAT many parts to a seat!

• 4 weeks later...

You might be right there.

Theres only one part in the pack but having had no sort of experience with kits like this it's going a bit over my head. Might be worth giving the supplier a call to see if they can talk me through it a bit....sounds daft that i can't understand it based on a set of simple instructions but i think its this simpicity thats stopping me!

Hope to find an answer soon..

Looks like it is a micro folding exercise! One piece folded round a suitably sized rod ( a nail or wire) No soldering just clean and paint it.

l176.jpg

The only potential issue I can foresee is that on removal from the fret those legs get snipped off by mistake or bent to the point of breaking.

• 1 year later...

Simple enough if you know what you are doing.

However if you have never bent metal before then it does look rather daunting.

As Kenton points out you will need a former that will give you the correct radius to bend the seats.

It would probably be better to have a selection of different diameter rods so that you can bend it gradually.

I would suggest that you get hold of some brass scrap offcuts and have a play around before you try the seats for real.

The safe edge 180 degree bend on the front looks to be a much harder bend to form when you have no experience.

Form it with the rods as tight as you can and finish off using smooth metal blocks and squeezing it in a vice.

It might seem to be a simple kit to some people as it has only one piece, but it is actually quite a complex piece of sheet metal work.

Bernard

The site says requires brass wire to complete and that it can be assembled with superglue, so I am guessing the legs and outer frame are formed from the brass wire (not included) then glued (or soldered) to the seat once folded to shape.

• 4 years later...

Archived