Diesel Depot diorama in a boxfile

matto21

Thanks Ian, the box vans aren't finished yet - the one on the right still needs a coat of matt varnish and the one on the left needs it's roof and underframe painted and then the whole lot needs weathering.

Good idea regarding the damaged doors, I'll need to look up some photos for some examples unless you have something specific in mind?

Thanks for all the suggestions re the track. As yet I'm undecided whether to opt for ballasting [although very filthy and run down] or hardstanding.Once I get the track down I think I'll have a better idea what will look right.

Gallery images - Sandhills diorama for shed doors - excellent.

How about the hard standing out of plasticard sheet - track inlayed and spray grey / concrete and wipe the rail tops.

Leave to dry AND harden then spray oil black in the centre road and sides. - wipe rail tops.

Then I thin out Railmatch weather black and droplet on oil stains with a brush - quite effective as it splashes on in circles - make sure the base grey is really dry though.

Ian

Well I didn't get anywhere near as much done as I'd hoped, in fact I accomplished pathetically little!

I did manage to get the base glued into the boxfile however.

I've been looking at photos for the track and I've decided that I may use a combination of both ballast and hardstanding. Looking at this and this, I'm going to have hardstanding immediately in front of the 'depot' building, then dirty ballast - that's the plan anyway* :D

*subject to change when/if things go wrong!

post-3171-0-01023400-1328382002.jpg

You might have a problem running with the amp in the way!

By the way does it go up to 11????

Class....! Bought and carried a Marshall 100W lead from A1 on Oxford Road all through Manchester City centre to Victoria Station a long time ago! - well heavy with the heatsink.

Well I didn't get anywhere near as much done as I'd hoped, in fact I accomplished pathetically little!

I did manage to get the base glued into the boxfile however.

I've been looking at photos for the track and I've decided that I may use a combination of both ballast and hardstanding. Looking at this and this, I'm going to have hardstanding immediately in front of the 'depot' building, then dirty ballast - that's the plan anyway* :D

*subject to change when/if things go wrong!

post-3171-0-01023400-1328382002.jpg

Marshall ministack.... - class - like the RR 37 image on the hardstanding - I can see the cladding you have been inspired by - looked familiar.

Ah, I miss my Marshalls. It's not fair I have to drive past the factory every day too!

Even pathetically little progress is progress, and in fairness, getting the bases glued in and making decisions on the track scenic would be better labelled essential progress :D

Much more than my progress which can only be labelled as "postponed due to unscheduled train movements" :locomotive: LOL

Regards

Lee :D

Thanks for the Marshall mini-stack comments, it's big brother is in another room!

Been searching the web for more pics to use for inspiration, looking at this and this, I could actually weather my depot much more - mine looks positively clean! The first pic also reveals some quite useful details around the doors - pipes, wires etc and a decent shot of the doors themselves. I think I can make a representation of the doors quite well using the corrugated plastic sheet turned on it's side and painted/weathered in a similar way I did on my first scratchbuilt building here, although this time they'd be yellow/black.

shed doors look good

They are stonkingly good! Well impressed :D

Regards

Lee

Jesus they are impressive. Maybe you should show the boxfile without locos all the time instead as it really is coming together well. ;)

cheers,

Lukasz

Thanks guys, glad you like them. Very simple, just embossed plastic painted and weathered.

that's not a bass! :lol:

doors look great

Haha!

Well still no track I'm afraid and unfortunately haven't been able to make any progress this weekend but here are a few photo of the 'shed' + doors in place.

My original plan was to have 3 tracks in all, 2 shed roads, and a third at the back going behind the shed, I'm not sure now as that may make it look a bit crammed.

post-3171-0-31733800-1329046259.jpg

post-3171-0-22253100-1329046272.jpg

post-3171-0-41728000-1329046279.jpg

post-3171-0-81875200-1329046287.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The end of the shed looks great.

I would suggest that you just have the two tracks, into the shed and use the space behind for scenic details.

How are you going to frame along the rear, i.e. in front of the rear of the boxfile?

The end of the shed looks great.

I would suggest that you just have the two tracks, into the shed and use the space behind for scenic details.

How are you going to frame along the rear, i.e. in front of the rear of the boxfile?

That fascia just gets better every time I see it.

As regards tracks just 2 - less is more and higher detailing - brick wall to the side and edge?

Ian

Thank for the kind comments about the shed, I agree that I should keep it to 2 tracks, I don't want to swamp the scene. As for the framing, it'll probably be some more brick wall and maybe a portacabin.

Well I've laid the first piece of track tonight. As discussed earlier in the thread, I've used a left over bit of Hornby flexi track and re-spaced the sleepers. Wow, what a boring job! I take my hat off to anyone who has laid and respaced more than a foot of track. Glue is currently setting and time will tell if it was worth it and if it is, I have another foot of track to look forward to!

I have to respace all the sleepers on my layout. About 16ft of track all in all. Don't have to of course but thanks for spurring me on with such encouraging words. ;)

The layout is looking good as always.

Can you fit anything bigger than a 33 on the layout or does it look too cramped?

cheers,

Lukasz

I have to respace all the sleepers on my layout. About 16ft of track all in all. Don't have to of course but thanks for spurring me on with such encouraging words. ;)

The layout is looking good as always.

Can you fit anything bigger than a 33 on the layout or does it look too cramped?

cheers,

Lukasz

16ft? I don't envy you! :O

Larger locos will fit, but there's not much room for manouver!

Here's a few quick photos of the first piece of track that's been laid and respaced. I'm not sure if it was worth it to be honest! Please note, there was no scientific method involved in respacing the sleepers, just the good old mk 1 eyeball - they may be wonky/too far apart/not far enough apart but I just fiddled with them until they looked about right!

post-3171-0-49106100-1329154028.jpg

post-3171-0-06230300-1329154041.jpg

post-3171-0-24492500-1329154049.jpg

Archived