Are Skaledale tree materials as good as Woodland Scenics?

woodbine

I was about to buy some poly fibre foliage, and some scatter, to adorn my home-made twisted wire trees. I want them to be state of the art as there will only be a couple, and will stand out.

I assumed my choice would be Woodland Scenics or Greenscene etc., but I see that Hornby Skalescene have a range of materials too, including what could be a nice flocky fibre mat that should tease out well. It looks OK on their trees anyway.

How does it compare with the alternatives, in ease of use, realism, and price?

• RMweb Gold

The other alternative is to use postiche hair [wig making] also available from Green Scene and Treemendus.You tease this product out then use a suitable coloured scatter applied after a spray of cheap hairspray.Those mats always look garish to me so a use of a scatter varies the colour.The only advantage of the Hornby stuff is its available from your model shop rather than by mail order.

The other alternative is to use postiche hair [wig making] also available from Green Scene and Treemendus.You tease this product out then use a suitable coloured scatter applied after a spray of cheap hairspray.Those mats always look garish to me so a use of a scatter varies the colour.The only advantage of the Hornby stuff is its available from your model shop rather than by mail order.

Thanks for your reply gwrob. Yes I'd looked at those that you mentioned, and they were the sort of thing I was looking for when I came across the Skalescene stuff. What I really wanted to know was if there were any disadvantages to the Hornby stuff, like 'doesn't work' or 'not as good as' or 'too expensive compared to the others' etc., that sort of thing. I don't want to find I've paid twice as much as I needed to.

Whereas if it's pretty much the same thing in all important respects I won't need to fight shy, since it is after all available locally as you say.

Archived