Hornby Class 60 - ESU V4.0 - odd behaviour

Ian_B

I have a Hornby 60. I ran it on DC to check it worked OK, then I put an ESU Locsound V4.0 in and checked it worked. No problems, but no proper run (only a foot of track to program it on).

I took it to run on the club layout and it worked fine for about 4 minutes. Then it tripped the Lenz controller and stopped the layout. Lifted it off. Put it back on. Worked OK sound, motor lights - for about 4 minutes. then it took out the command station again. Took it home, put it on my workbench run from a SPROG. Powered up. Sound, Lights no problems. after 4 minutes was still fine. Activated a throttle and set some forward motion then it tripped the SPROG. Removed the sound chip. Sent it back to the retailer. They say they've run it for 30 minutes in a rester and 15 in a Bachman Chassis.

I've run the 60 for 30 minutes in each direction this evening on DC without issue. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Ian_B

Can you rule out thermal or mechanical movement of the decoder, speaker, and/or DCC socket causing the track pickups to create a short ? Perhaps the pressure of fitting the body and speaker causes some sort of short which only shows after a bit of running ? Its a known issue with some N gauge models, and would be the first thing I'd want to rule out in this situation.

- Nigel

I have a Hornby 60. I ran it on DC to check it worked OK, then I put an ESU Locsound V4.0 in and checked it worked. No problems, but no proper run (only a foot of track to program it on).

I took it to run on the club layout and it worked fine for about 4 minutes. Then it tripped the Lenz controller and stopped the layout. Lifted it off. Put it back on. Worked OK sound, motor lights - for about 4 minutes. then it took out the command station again. Took it home, put it on my workbench run from a SPROG. Powered up. Sound, Lights no problems. after 4 minutes was still fine. Activated a throttle and set some forward motion then it tripped the SPROG. Removed the sound chip. Sent it back to the retailer. They say they've run it for 30 minutes in a rester and 15 in a Bachman Chassis.

I've run the 60 for 30 minutes in each direction this evening on DC without issue. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Ian_B

Almost certainly a thermal issue. I had exactly the same problem with a Lenz Gold decoder and due to me half burying the decoder in Blu Tack.

Things that might affect the thermal cutout are two speakers, too loud sound, a sticky motor, air space round the decoder, a partially shorted or incorrect ohm value speaker set up.

One short way to check is to run with the sound off altogether and if you get extra minutes of running then you have athermal issue.

Strangely, the decoder will cool sufficiently to cut back in by just lifting it and put it back down particularly on the programming track.

This post/thread might have done better in the DCC Sound section.

• RMweb Gold

reply from bryan at howes

Hi  Ian, I carried out the test on your 60  decoder today, on both occasions the decoder was in fresh air and I could not replicate the problem as you were advised by Howes. I kept throttling it up and down to replicate your tests but it kept going. There may, as has been mentioned on the thread, be a thermal issue, the other thing that crossed my mind was, were you using a different speaker arrangement from the 23mm that came with the decoder?. The only other thing I can suggest is to run the loco and decoder with sound on as before but with the  body off and see what happens. maybe even try a different chassis as I had to, if it  goes wrong again send it in and it will be replaced.

Regards

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the response!

No, the decoder was exactly as you have it now. No extra speakers, no changes in the volume. The sound was fine on its own, but when I put it into drive on my workbench it crashed immediately. I haven't tried running it without sound to see if the Motor drive would crash it on its own.

I'll ring you tomorrow to arrange getting it back.

Ian

Archived