Felton Lane (Goods). West Durham in the 1940's.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

Building Bridges...

Progress is being made on the road bridges that cross the railway (and hide the entrance to the fiddle yard). The one on the left over the coal road is Peco and the one over the main lines is made up from Wills girder sections.

Test fitting of the bridge girders in primer.

post-7104-126720702459_thumb.jpg

Final fitting of the girders and a rare opotunity to see two locos on the branch at once. Q5 3334 has brought the girders from Darlington while J24 5627 has brought the crane.

post-7104-126720721717_thumb.jpg

post-7104-126720724054_thumb.jpg

Guest oldlugger

Hello Paul,

Nice work and good progress. Is the track EM gauge (I notice that you use EM Gauge Society timbers)? Whatever, it will make a fine layout!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hello Paul,

Nice work and good progress. Is the track EM gauge (I notice that you use EM Gauge Society timbers)? Whatever, it will make a fine layout!

Cheers

Simon

Simon

No it's 00, to run My LNER stock, although I am an EMGS member and have an EM layout.

• RMweb Gold

Platform surface and the first bit of greenery...

The platform surface is now in place, made from mounting board with the edge slabs scribed. The water crane (Mikes Models NER platform mounted) has been set into the platform surface by about 1mm.

post-7104-126739139556_thumb.jpg

The first of the greenery has been started using the new range of colours from Green Scene, 'The Green Scene Collection'. Quite a nice range of subtle shades and colours.

The landscape was built up using expanded polystyrene covered with newspaper and PVA. It was then coated with filler and when that was dry, painted with dark brown emulsion. the scatter is fixed with PVA. Further layers of different shades will be added later along with bushes (mostly brier) and other weeds.

The river is slowly being built up. The base was painted with various mucky riverbed colour enamels and 'stones' (from the bed of a local beck) added and fixed with PVA. The water is slowly being added using Sadolin 'natural' wood stain, giving it quite an industrial colour, probably from the collieries in the area.

post-7104-126739241847_thumb.jpg

I don't know how i've missed this one but wow what a layout this is going to be everything looks great the weightbridge office looks particularly well also looking forward to seeing the completed station really nice layout.

Just one question who makes the coal wagons that are on the saithes? the north eastern ones???

Simon.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know how i've missed this one but wow what a layout this is going to be everything looks great the weightbridge office looks particularly well also looking forward to seeing the completed station really nice layout.

Just one question who makes the coal wagons that are on the saithes? the north eastern ones???

Simon.

Hi Simon,

Glad you've found it. The wooden bodied hoppers are Slaters kits and the steel bodied one is an Airfix/Dapol body on a Dave Bradwell chassis.

Guest oldlugger

Lovely Paul; you seem to work at great speed! By the time I've built half a point you've constructed half a layout!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Lovely Paul; you seem to work at great speed! By the time I've built half a point you've constructed half a layout!

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

We all work at our own speed, it's just that I'm exhibiting it at the start of May so I have to sort of get a move on!

Hi Paul,

I have just stumbled across this thread and as a lover of all thinks NER, BR(NE) etc, this is right up my street. The standard of your modelling here is superb and the research that has gone into the modelling very thorough. My own humble efforts have a long way to go. I don't think that I possess the skills necssary to make locos, rolling stock and track as you have here so I therefore limit my own scratch building to buildings and I must say that yours look wonderful.

Can I therefore ask for a little more of a blow by blow account of how you make the building sides and the general assembly? You appear to be laminating slaters plastic sheet to (card) mounting board. Which adhesive do you use and how /when do you marry up the individual laminates? How do you match the coursing around corners?

I would love to see this layout when completed and note that you intend to exhibit it. How far south do you come to exhibitions with your layouts? The farthest north I habe been to attend an exhibition is Peterborough as I live in Essex and work full time in London.

Keep up the great work and thanks in anticipation for any further info you can supply on your buildings.

Best wishes,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian,

Glad you like it, I'll try and write something soon. It will be more description and less photos as I don't need many more buildings.

More Greenery and bridges...

Work is continuing on the road bridges and the grass and scrub on the embankments between them.

post-7104-12675717759_thumb.jpg

post-7104-126757179062_thumb.jpg

'Tis most impressive sir! The speed at which it seems to fall together is astounding! I'll have to book myself the Goathland show weekend off wo9rk so I can have a proper good butchers, when is it again, father said it's moved, and he did tell me when to, but I didn't have me diary to hand at the time!

J

• RMweb Gold

'Tis most impressive sir! The speed at which it seems to fall together is astounding! I'll have to book myself the Goathland show weekend off wo9rk so I can have a proper good butchers, when is it again, father said it's moved, and he did tell me when to, but I didn't have me diary to hand at the time!

J

Hi James,

Sorry to disappoint but it won't be at Goathland this year, I'm taking Greyscroft Mine. The dates are 17th & 18th July. Consider yourself volunteered!

• RMweb Gold

More greenery...

Work is progressing well on the scenics with one side of the bridge embankment almost complete, the strip along the front of the layout is also coming along. I am using material from Greenscene, Woodland Scenics and some old Penhaven Modelling Products. All five of the bridges are now fitted.

post-7104-12678115067_thumb.jpg

post-7104-126781153162_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Coal scales...

While looking for something else earlier today I came across a photo of some large coal scales in 7mm from Duncan Models on the Scale Link site (Near the bottom of this page) and thought I could make something similar in 4mm. It is made from 60thou plastic strip and a piece of cut down plastic tube for the hopper.

Top and bottom frames.

post-7104-12679232518_thumb.jpg

Hopper back being attached.

post-7104-126792326379_thumb.jpg

Assembled.

post-7104-126792327574_thumb.jpg

post-7104-126792329435_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all for the comments folks! Look forward to seeing Ponteland Mark, I built the Signal cabin a few years back for Fellburn.

Back to board 3...

Pease Row has been fitted now that the backscene is in place. The pavement and garden paths have also been fitted, made from mounting board with the paving scribed on. The paved area in front of the stables has been made in the same way. Both have been painted with Humbrol 84 which will be weathered.

The garden fences have been made using Ratio station fencing, (meant to be G*R platform fencing but most companies used something similar) with added 60 thou posts where necessary. The last fence at No 1 will need to be made up from offcuts of fence as I have run out of full lengths. The gardens will be partially finished before these are fitted.

The station gate posts are temporarily fitted approximately where they will go, these will be detailed and there will be another to the left with a pedestrian gate.

post-7104-126817512231_thumb.jpg

post-7104-126817513717_thumb.jpg

Hi James,

Sorry to disappoint but it won't be at Goathland this year, I'm taking Greyscroft Mine. The dates are 17th & 18th July. Consider yourself volunteered!

Volunteered for to do what?!

The coal scales are a right good bit of building, most impressive!

J

• RMweb Gold

Volunteered for to do what?!

J

We'll find plenty for you to do!

Five portions of fruit and Veg for today...

The front gardens of Pease Row, once known throughout the town for thier prize winning roses (well they are over the road from the railway stables) were dug over at the begining of the war for the growing of vegatables. They are still growing veg and will do until well after rationing comes to an end. Jim Spilman at No5 still has a few roses growing alongside his lettuce, potatos and peas. Tom Dixon at No4 has concentrated on potatos.

The soil is soil, the veg are various types of Woodland scenics foliage, the pea sticks are short lengths of wire glued into holes in the baseboard. The roses are plastic kits from Busch and are very fiddly.

post-7104-126843242366_thumb.jpg

Guest Blackdog

Having seen the scales in the flesh, and particularly the weight that I could hardly see with my reading glasses on, I cannot believe that you found a few pieces of wire fiddly

Of course the crop will have been harvested and the ground bare by October :)

Archived