Layout using kitchen units as a base?

pauln

Hi all,

I need to dismantle my loft layout and rebuild it in the "back room". Since I need some storage space under the layout and my carpentry skills are limited I wondered if anybody had used kitchen unit carcasses to form the base and support for a layout. I accept that access to the underside of the layout may be more difficult but this time around I plan to do all the electrics before setting each board in position.

I was thinking of still having the usual softwood bracing under the ply baseboard and laying this across several kitchen units arranged around the walls of the room.

Any thoughts on practicality or any obvious flaws I have missed (apart from cost - though I think it is worth the outlay to get the storage as well). I assume somebody has tried this before but I couldn't find any examples on rmweb .. which might tell me something.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

A friend of mine has done this to hide his '0' gauge terminus [from his garden layout] in his bungalow.

He has fitted hinged worktop sections so when closed you wouldn't know it was there.

I agree that you don't need as much support if you use good cabinets, also make sure you use drawer

line not high line if you want to set it into the cabinets, if on top it's not as important.

Good luck, Jeff

Hi

Sure i seen somewhere on here a while back something similar,kitchen carcases or cupboards which had the baseboard tops fitted with hinges at back so you can prop them up to gain access to underneath. Obviously if in sections would have to have plug connections or similar for the electrics etc.

Tel

Paul,

Great idea. Assuming you are not fitting a full length worktop but keeping each unit seperate, I would put some form of diagonal bracing or some hardboard or thin ply at the back of each unit to stop them swaying. Even when bolted together they might sway a bit.

webbo

Thanks for the replies. Consensus seems to be that this is viable.

Hi Paul,

A friend of mine has done this to hide his '0' gauge terminus [from his garden layout] in his bungalow.

He has fitted hinged worktop sections so when closed you wouldn't know it was there.

If there are any photos of his layout available I would be interested to see some please

I have used IVAR wall units from IKEA. They are obout 121 cm high, 50 cm wide and 84 cm per unit in lenght. I find this an excelent high for my layout.

You can create in this way your own wall unit.

I have aded some doors.

I did look at Ikea type stuff once before. Will have another look. I like the idea of the kitchen units so that the shelving is as enclosed as possible to reduce dust etc.

Paul,

Great idea. Assuming you are not fitting a full length worktop but keeping each unit seperate, I would put some form of diagonal bracing or some hardboard or thin ply at the back of each unit to stop them swaying. Even when bolted together they might sway a bit.

webbo

My idea was not to use a full length worktop. All the kitchen units would be bolted together with layout board perhaps 4 or 6 feet long covering a pair of units each. Bracing also a good idea, thanks

Make sure the layout boards are removeable with some amount of bracing so they don't flex too much when lifted from the top of the unit. Even if you do all the electrics beforehand there are bound to be things that need changing when you first run, or go wrong afterwards. Lying on the floor with the back of your neck resting on the sharp bottom corner of the unit soldering stuff in semi-darkness above your face is not everybody's idea of fun!

hi ,i used this idea years ago in the garage i had at the time .i found that spacing the units apart under baseboard joins made life easier for running repairs .nowt worse than trying to tilt a full layout to get at unsoldered joint .but they make a good solid foundation go for it ......mali

• RMweb Gold

Its a good idea but the electrics can be an issue. Having worked as a plumber I can tell you that reaching in upside down to fix the taps on a sink or the clips that hold the sink itself you have to bend your base over the plinth into the cupboard. Not good for your back. I would suggest DCC plenty of droppers all connected to bus bars beforehand should reduce the need to get to the wiring.

Don

I've used Ivar both supporting boards I made and using the shelves. If you use the shelves you really need a layer of ply over the top across the joins to stop them shifting a bit over time and making a mess of your track joins.

Thickness is also an issue but the SEEP motors reach through 6mm ply & Ivar just fine.

• 1 month later...

So after careful consideration I did decide to go down the kitchen unit option. Here are a couple of photos of the units in position.

A couple of observations.

If you keep models in the cupboards you need some protection between them and the baseboards at the very least whilst construction is in progress.

My baseboards came from a previous layout and thus are a little deeper than the units. Therefore some additional cross bracing is needed to rest the baseboards in line with the side and front edges of the kitchen units otherwise the baseboard sags over the front and side.

I bought the units from B&Q for about £50-£55 each depending on the size. Originally I was planning not to include doors but I was "persuaded" otherwise which added to the cost a bit but do make the room look tidier and keep the contents cleaner.

You can track further progress on my layout thread (when I start making progress that is!)

http://www.rmweb.co....46-woodmere-oo/

post-961-0-45361300-1321797398_thumb.jpg

post-961-0-91026500-1321797413_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived