Shaunnnnnnnnn

So, I've lurked here anonymously for a while now, but I've finally decided to start a thread.

Everfree Lane is a modern image exhibition layout that I am planning to build. The scenic section will be 12 feet by 2 feet, and will feature the end of a station, protruding from under a bridge, and a small yard of some persuasion. Here's my proposed track plan.

post-13148-0-63844700-1316304208_thumb.png

This isn't the first layout that I've built, I've built several before, but non to exhibition standard, and never portable. So I'm a beginner at this, and as I progress I would like some advice from the community on the best way to do things.

The scenic section will be made up of two six by two boards, which are ready to be worked on, and the trackwork will be Peco Code 100, as I already have some of that. I also have a fair few DCC fitted OO gauge locos and a Bachmann Dynamis from my previous layouts, however a lot of the locomotives have developed problems.

The Fleet

Hornby Class 08 - EWS - 08799 - Quite noisy, but I assume this is normal for 08/09s.

Hornby Class 09 - Mainline - 09019 - Again, noisy, but I assume this is normal.

Hornby Class 31 - Fragonset - 31452 - Runs perfectly, except high instensity headlight doesn't work at one end.

Heljan Class 33 - Dutch - 33201 - Will run a short distance, then cut out. Also quite slow.

Heljan Class 33 - Mainline - 33204 - Perfect runner, no problems anywhere.

ViTrains Class 37 - EWS - 37405 - Quite noisy and quite slow, also runs faster in one direction that the other.

ViTrains Class 37 - EW&S - 37427 - Noisy, struggles to move.

Hornby Class 56 - Loadhaul - 56003 - Perfect runner, but missing a buffer.

Hornby Class 56 - Fastline - 56302 - Perfect runner, no problems.

Hornby Class 60 - EWS - 60014 - Perfect runner, no problems.

Hornby Class 60 - Mainline - 60078 - Non runner, no DCC decoder, but tested with one and was uncontrollable.

Bachmann Class 66 - EWS - 66068 - Perfect runner, no problems.

Bachmann Class 66 - DBS - 66152 - No DCC decoder.

Bachmann Class 66 - Stobart - 66411 - Perfect runner, but one tail light does not work after the loco sustained a fall.

Bachmann Class 66 - DRS - 66412 - Perfect runner, but one tail light does not work after the loco sustained a fall.

Bachmann Class 66 - Freightliner - 66610 - Purchased weathered at Warley last year, fails to draw power from the track on regular occasions.

Hornby Class 67 - Royal - 67005 - Non runner, does not draw power from the track. Also has a buffer missing and a dollop of superglue on the roof.

Bachmann Class 150 - FNW - 150144 - Perfect runner, no problems.

Hornby Class 153 - FNW/Northern - 1539 - Perfect runner, no problems.

Hornby Class 156 - Northern - 156425 - No DCC decoder.

If anyone has any idea of how I can rectify my problems, do not hesitate to tell me, it'll be much appreciated.

Also, my dad is building his own layout, using some of the redundant Hornby track from my previous layout. He bought a pair of Dapol Megafret wagons, but these seem to derail on the points, any advice there?

Thanks for reading through,

Shaun

I'll leave you with a dodgy camera phone picture of my EWS/DBS fleet, except 66068.

post-13148-0-46562100-1316304302_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard Shaun. :)

Noisy Hornby 08/09s were a problem with a good number of those from early batches, there's some advice on our old site varying from potential remedies through to advise to get rid - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14944

Heljan 33s older than a couple of years ago also have know problems with the wheels picking up an awful lot of rubbish and tarnishing. I replaced the wheelsets in mine with Bachmann coach wheels and axles (available as spares packs) with the Heljan cog moved onto the Bachmann axle. Did the trick for me and it's run awful lot better since.

And stop dropping your 66s. ;)

Hi, Welcome to the posting side of the forum! :sungum:

In my 'in-experienced' opinion, a good balance between track and surrounding scenery really helps to make the layout, and in your plan, it looks excellent! Plenty of space to bring the scene alive, which will make for a great exhibition layout.

What sort of setting are you planning? Inner city? suburbs? etc.

As for portable layouts, light, strong baseboards are a must! How are you building/built your boards? My boards are very heavy due to my frame made from scrap, but the main board is made of a styrofoam insulating board...very light and strong! Also very workable!

Looking forward to hearing more of your progress :)

Regards

Lee

Thanks for the welcomes :biggrin_mini2:

Noisy Hornby 08/09s were a problem with a good number of those from early batches, there's some advice on our old site varying from potential remedies through to advise to get rid -http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=5&t=14944

Heljan 33s older than a couple of years ago also have know problems with the wheels picking up an awful lot of rubbish and tarnishing. I replaced the wheelsets in mine with Bachmann coach wheels and axles (available as spares packs) with the Heljan cog moved onto the Bachmann axle. Did the trick for me and it's run awful lot better since.

Thanks for the advice, normally I'd have reservations about taking locos apart, but as the 33s were bought cheap from Hattons, I just might give that a go. I'll have a look over the 08/09s at some point too, but right now noise is something I can live with.

And stop dropping your 66s. ;)

I'll try, but those things really like the floor...

In my 'in-experienced' opinion, a good balance between track and surrounding scenery really helps to make the layout, and in your plan, it looks excellent! Plenty of space to bring the scene alive, which will make for a great exhibition layout.

What sort of setting are you planning? Inner city? suburbs? etc.

Thanks, I'm haven't 100% decided on the setting yet, although I am leaning towards a more suburban setting. Still, I'm not sure, I'll make more of a decision once the track is layed out. And then, as always, I'll change my mind.

As for portable layouts, light, strong baseboards are a must! How are you building/built your boards? My boards are very heavy due to my frame made from scrap, but the main board is made of a styrofoam insulating board...very light and strong! Also very workable!

My granddad has built the boards for me as my woodwork skills are, well, nonexistent, but the top of the boards are made of plywood. The frame, I'm not so sure... But I carried them to the shed, and they seemed light enough, so things are looking good.

I need to order some more track soon, and then work can begin.

Also, my question of the day; how do people get multiple workings to work? I can manage a consist of the same loco, but I've seen things like 153s coupled to 150s and 158s and I know that my 150 is significantly faster than my 153 and I'm not sure how this works.

Thanks again!

Shaun

• 1 year later...

Well... I kinda forgot about this thread and haven't updated it in over a year... Wow...

A significant amount of progress has been made, with the track plan changing and such.

I might actually get around to taking some pictures tomorrow, with my horrible Blackberry camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived