NRM York & Shildon Steam Gala 24th & 25th September

DLPG

Dear All,

I thought I would get a thread going for next weekend. Looks like a great event and well worth attending!

http://www.nrm.org.uk/PlanaVisit/Eve...mgala2011.aspx

First cross site gala with steam shuttles linking the two sites. Only wish I had my camera when visiting yesterday to see the second train of the day arrive at Shildon, though I'm sure someone will share some pictures on here soon.

There is also a model railway exhibition at Shildon with layouts of various gauges and trade stalls so a lot to see. Looking forward to it! :D

Evening all,

Pictures and reports here from the activity at Shildon, Locomotion Museum this weekend.

Pictures can be found at: http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p339083755 and http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p482655678

Report of the event is here:

Todays the day...

Many times has the phrase had meaning, but for the NRM and its plan to entice visitors with both mainline and preserved steam, today was indeed the day for the Shuttle service itself to bring a whole extra dimension to the NRM experience - something it duly delivered! Olton Hall, desguised as the infamous Hogwarts Castle brought the first shuttle north to Shildon and the area that is well within 51 area shedcode. The Western region engine seemed to give a good performance on a spirited run north by all accounts, and when seen at Heighington it was at speed with gusto.

On the rear was 45305 a geordie built Black 5, now named Allerman A. Draper, which was standing in for the NRM's own Oliver Cromwell. The Black 5 was in fine form, and took the service away, returning later with 37706 from the WCRC stable.

Other engines were seen at the Locomotion Musuem on Display, which can be seen in another gallery. 2011 had a distinct Western region flavour to the visiting engines at Locomotion. Star attraction was the well known and much discussed City of Truro which is reputably the first engine to 'do the ton'. Along side this express locomotion were other western region engines more akin to mundane work. A 56xx from the Furness loco group was visiting along with the NRMs own 28xx 2-8-0 frieght locomotive. Engines that used to ply their trade in Shildon would have respected these for their ability to haul heavy goods and would indeed have matched the pedigree of the North Eastern engines that years ago, occupied the very ground these engines were on display.

Also there were two residents, Sir Berkeley and Furness no. 20, with smaller engines running on demonstration lines.

It was nice to see the magjesty of Western regions engines as I personally like the similar lines and evolution of Western region design.... but I dare not say more less people doubt my faith in NER.... thank goodness the J21 had arrived.... now thats a proper engine, albeit needing some TLC!

Comments and feedback are very much welcome on the site. Nice to chat to Terry Newman and Dave Foxton today....

Enjoy,

David

aka The Black Hat

Archived