Hot off the Printer

I use a New Zealand company for my pewter casting, Zodiac Industries, as do many kit makers in Australia and New Zealand. They do an excellent job, but are not the easiest to make contact with, they do not have a web site.

The process used is called spin casting (they also do pressure casting). The spin casting is performed using a rubber 'puck' about 8 inches in diameter. There are two halves to the puck and it is made by embedding the patterns in rubber which is then vulcanised to form around the patterns. The pattersn must therefore be made of a material that can withstand the very hot vulcanising process. This is why I investment cast my 3D builds in Manganese Bronze. This is a proof of a puck sent to a client as a fax:

rubber%20mould.jpg

You can probaly make out that the model in this case is a steam locomotive, the variuos items are identifiable as the boiler, smokebox from, domes, backhead etc. In this case, two pucks were required as there were a few more parts than would fit in a single mould, and some needed duplication.

To produce the casting, the two halves of the puck are held together under pressure, then it is spun up to speed and the molten pewter is introduced in the centre of the puck. The molten metal is then thrown outwards by the spinning motion and tries to fill every void.

The method produces very crisp clean castings, although I do feel they were a little crisper when they used white metal, but that is now a no-no.

you pay a set-up charge for the making of the puck mould, then you are charged per 'spin' and also for the metal by weight, however the costs are not high.

The process used is called spin casting (they also do pressure casting). The spin casting is performed using a rubber 'puck' about 8 inches in diameter. There are two halves to the puck and it is made by embedding the patterns in rubber which is then vulcanised to form around the patterns. The pattersn must therefore be made of a material that can withstand the very hot vulcanising process. This is why I investment cast my 3D builds in Manganese Bronze.

Geoff, I thank you for your information.

The method looks like same than is using with making white metal castings. White metal casting service companies also use centricast machine with vulcanised rubber moulds (also two halves), but more typical way is using cold cure silicone for making moulds (=two components liquid style silicone rubber like making moulds for resin casting, but with white metal castings the mould rubber has to be heatproof and harder. Shore hardness of these rubbers is typically about 60 or more). Using cold cure silicone rubber for mould making means that no heat or pressure is required to make moulds. So it is possible to use plastics, resins, 3D-printings etc. materials in master parts for making moulds. It would be usefull to know if cold cure rubber was also possible to use with making pewter castings. I think that this might be easier — and maybe cheaper — with making master parts.

Petri

Yes, the process is exactly the same as for white metal casting, pewter is simply the 'new' white metal due to the need to remove lead. Zodiac used to cast white metal up until it became 'deadly'.

I think zodiac don't used cold cured silicone as it is not as durable as vulcanised rubber.

Craig, if you use a good investment cater, then you don't lose any detail. Unfortunately the excellent caster I used is now retiring, so I will have to find someone new.

• 1 month later...

Bill, the piece looks really good, with good detail. Did you have to clean it up or sand off any stepping on the surface?

Just as an aside, isn't it interesting the you have to paint the item in primer grey in order to take a good photo, somewhat like the steam locmotive manufacturers used to do for the same reason.

Archived