Holcombe Brook & Tottington

Savoyard

• RMweb Gold

Last night I finished off fitting sound to 43121 and then worked on 43913, which was a lot easier as it all went into the tender, I did have some running problems but this seems to have been due to excess oil which I removed and it seemed to run better. I started work on the 90267 which requires a similar amount of work to 43121, which involves putting the sound decoder and speaker in the tender and wiring it back to the motor in the loco, this requires 4 wires, 2 for the pick up and 2 for the motor. I have used an old DCC Supplies 4 way micro connector on 43121 and I am using a DCC Concepts 4 micro connector on 90267, I hope to finish this tonight so that we can have a practice run tomorrow night at the the club.

Here is a picture of 43121

post-6784-0-47018400-1335880176_thumb.jpg

and 11305

post-6784-0-41262900-1335880228_thumb.jpg

Whilst this was a Horwich Works loco as it is the only L&Y loco I have it will make the occasional appearance.

Regards,

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Tonight I have just completed fitting sound to the main stock I will be running on the layout at MRX 2012 at the Museum of Transport. 11305 the L&Y saddle tank had a CT Electronics Sound Decoder and I've replaced this with a Zimo MX646.

Last night at the club I fitted some rare earth magnets to uncouple the kadee's.

post-6784-0-24362100-1336089572_thumb.jpg

These are placed in the Holcombe Brook Station section.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Howdo all with less than a week before HB&T debuts under new ownership the loco fleet has expanded... In the shape of Ivatt 2 46484 from Lees and one of Burys crabs 42700 also as the fleet is growing the layouts improving i think those of you who will see it at manchester this coming weekend will be really impresed.

Ta for now

Chris W

Just arrived: my May RM and the very nice article on this layout. I must say I'm a bit envious that one could purchase such a fine model railway! Ah, the shipping charges to get something like it safely across the pond would be staggering, I'm sure!

Just arrived: my May RM and the very nice article on this layout. I must say I'm a bit envious that one could purchase such a fine model railway! Ah, the shipping charges to get something like it safely across the pond would be staggering, I'm sure!

Funny you should say that. A layout that belonged to a couple of members of ERFG (Walker Marine if anyone remembers it) was indeed sold to a chap in the USA where it now resides. That went in a Very Strong Box and arrived undamaged.

steve

• RMweb Gold

Some shots tonight of the Class 504 on the viaduct before it's debut on the layout at MRX 2012 this weekend. It is nearing completion with some detailing work and transfer to be applied tomorrow.

post-6784-0-55830500-1337209874.jpg

post-6784-0-88858600-1337209877.jpg

The unit has working directional lighting and destination lights, the destination was printed on a laser printer and stuck to the glazing.

I will be making some flush glazing for the front but I am running out of time before the weekend, so these are a temporary fix so a little messy.

A near disaster tonight as this section fell on the floor and the 504 front broke off, it has been glued back on and tomorrow with some gentle sanding and airbrushing it should look as good as new (fingers crossed!).

Peter

Funny you should say that. A layout that belonged to a couple of members of ERFG (Walker Marine if anyone remembers it) was indeed sold to a chap in the USA where it now resides. That went in a Very Strong Box and arrived undamaged.

steve

Indeed yes, just a couple of miles to the south of your present local, in the next state.

• RMweb Gold

I glued the cab front back on last night and with some careful filing and brush painting of the green and cream to quote Eric Morecambe 'You can hardly see the join!!

At least I can now finish off the rest of the detailing tonight.

Peter

Near enough all the locos and rolling stock are ready to roll for this weekend! All have been weatherd and coal'ed and are looking ace!

See some of you over the next few days! Make your selves know and have a chat :)

Ta for now

Chris W

Near enough all the locos and rolling stock are ready to roll for this weekend! All have been weatherd and coal'ed and are looking ace!

See some of you over the next few days! Make your selves know and have a chat :)

Ta for now

Chris W

Some shots tonight of the Class 504 on the viaduct before it's debut on the layout at MRX 2012 this weekend. It is nearing completion with some detailing work and transfer to be applied tomorrow.

post-6784-0-55830500-1337209874.jpg

post-6784-0-88858600-1337209877.jpg

The unit has working directional lighting and destination lights, the destination was printed on a laser printer and stuck to the glazing.

I will be making some flush glazing for the front but I am running out of time before the weekend, so these are a temporary fix so a little messy.

A near disaster tonight as this section fell on the floor and the 504 front broke off, it has been glued back on and tomorrow with some gentle sanding and airbrushing it should look as good as new (fingers crossed!).

Peter

Peter if you would like me to print some self adhesive headcodes, as i do for my Calss 501's just PM me with you requirements

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last night we completed the wiring of the complex board on the Holcombe Brook Station section that includes the diamond crossing.

post-6784-0-40887300-1339761877.jpg

post-6784-0-68671700-1339761885.jpg

The very much simplified wiring replacing the mass of wires of all shapes and sizes, now all simple red and black.

On the picture you can see two modules. The first from the left is a power management module, one of which will be fitted to all the boards, this catches any shorts and power is only lost to that board whilst the rest of the boards remain live. The second module is a 'Hex Frog Juicer' and this has been used initially on the diamond crossing to prevent shorts if the points on the sidings are not set correctly by switching the polarity automatically.

The following video illustrates how this works, the first loco goes through. Prevously the polarity of the frogs was set by micro switches activated by the points, which meant in the following video, the second loco would have shorted out the layout but it doesn't and continues through the point even the first loco had the frog polarity set for it's path through the fog.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Tonight we completed the rewiring of the Holcombe Brook Station section of the layout (3 boards in total), the difference in running quality is certainly noticeable with D5198 crawling across the diamond crossing at speed step 1 with no drop out, a testament to the quality of the track work by the original owners and builders of the layout.

Work has also started on the Tottington Station section, with all the original wires snipped, all being well the two sections will be completed this weekend.

I have kept the original hand operated points on the Holcombe Brook section but I will be converting the Tottington section points to slow motion points.

The layout will be appearing at the Hornby Magazine Live Show at Hartlepool on the 7/8th July.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last night I had problems trying to fix the calling on signal on the Holcombe Brook section of the layout, in the end I decided to have a go at building a replacement from a LMS kit, some Ratio bits and pieces of brass. This is the first signal that I have attempted and here is the result so far.

post-6784-0-53162500-1341483122.jpg

It needs to be tested on the layout tonight and then I will finish off the detailing and paint it tonight ready for Hartlepool this weekend.

After Hartlepool when I have more time I will replace the plastic arms.

Peter

Last night I had problems trying to fix the calling on signal on the Holcombe Brook section of the layout, in the end I decided to have a go at building a replacement from a LMS kit, some Ratio bits and pieces of brass. This is the first signal that I have attempted and here is the result so far.

post-6784-0-53162500-1341483122.jpg

It needs to be tested on the layout tonight and then I will finish off the detailing and paint it tonight ready for Hartlepool this weekend.

All looking good, I'm gratified to see you are putting your personal stamp on Totty as we used to call the layout. See you Friday at Hartlepool.

After Hartlepool when I have more time I will replace the plastic arms.

Peter

The system seems to be having a senior moment. As I was trying to say, I am gratified to see that you are putting your personal stamp on Totty as we used to call the layout. See you on Friday at Hartlepool.

• RMweb Gold

A short video shot yesterday at the Hartlepool Exhibition with the Class 504 travelling from Tottington to Holcombe Brook via Tottington Viaduct.

It shows the signals now working using servo motors controlled by a Uhlenbrock Servo Decoder, the two station signals are original and the signal on the approach to Holcombe Brook Station is the one made last week shown above.

The servo motor allows for programming a bounce and this is demonstrated on the video. I got the Servo Decoder from D&H models for £25.36, so £6.34 per signal, it is quite straight forward to program and is more versatile than any other servo controller I have tried including the ESU SwitchPilot Servo, Merg and Borg Rail and this beats then all hands down. You have an option to program the number of bounces at both red and green positions and how long they bounce takes.

The video also shows the arcing on the front bogie.

Peter

Archived