15s and 23s together?

Del

Prompted by Heljan planning to produce two of my favourite classes, I wonder where I should set a layout where I can feature both Class 15s and Class 23s. I guess somewhere around the North London Line? Gospel Oak - Barking?

I wouldn't mind if one class was on one level and the second on an other, maybe the 23 on a suburban passenger working, with the 15 working a high-level goods yard?

• RMweb Gold

How about Hatfield to Luton GNR.

Blackridge Tip (near Wheathampstead, St. Albans) rubbish trains used those locos in the early 70s along with 24/25s, 31s, 21/22/29 whichever and some unusual bogie wagons. There is a pic of a 15 & 31 double heading a rubbish train in Diesels out of Kings X (further details may follow when I've looked at my father book collection).

All stopped in about 76/77, though there were big planning rows at various times in the 80s 90s & 00s when the Redland Lafarge tried to reopen the tip with road and latterly rail feed. All quiet at the moment but could give a good semi ficticious/what if option.

• RMweb Gold

Finsbury Park had an allocation of 15s at one time and I seem to recall seeing them on shed with Baby Deltics. This was, of course, in the days when bunking loco sheds was a minor misdemeanour and not a capital crime.

Perhaps an urban setting allowing both freight and local passenger?

How about Hatfield to Luton GNR.

Blackridge Tip (near Wheathampstead, St. Albans) rubbish trains used those locos in the early 70s along with 24/25s, 31s, 21/22/29 whichever and some unusual bogie wagons. There is a pic of a 15 & 31 double heading a rubbish train in Diesels out of Kings X (further details may follow when I've looked at my father book collection).

All stopped in about 76/77, though there were big planning rows at various times in the 80s 90s & 00s when the Redland Lafarge tried to reopen the tip with road and latterly rail feed. All quiet at the moment but could give a good semi ficticious/what if option.

The Ashburton Grove workings, which ran from what is now the Emirates Stadium- the stock was ex-LNER bogie sulphate wagons, available from Parkside :-http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_LONDON___NORTH_EASTERN_RAILWAY.html

I think they were replaced by standard minerals towards the end.

It would be legitimate to run a class 15 & 23 in multiple. In the OPC book Double-headed Diesels Nationwide plate 147 shows an unidentified class 15 (probably D8232) and D5905 heading north through Wood Green with a refuse train. Photo looks to be late 1960's.

It would be legitimate to run a class 15 & 23 in multiple. In the OPC book Double-headed Diesels Nationwide plate 147 shows an unidentified class 15 (probably D8232) and D5905 heading north through Wood Green with a refuse train. Photo looks to be late 1960's.

Yes I remember 15's and 23's working together on the rubbish train round about 1968.

As Robert CWP says, there is footage on Diesels and Electrics on 35mm at Kings X. The opening sequence in Vol 2 actually shows Kings X in 1965, with a class 23 stabled in one of the suburban platforms, and a class 15 on station pilot duties. As already mentioned, class 15's and Baby Deltics were allocated to Finsbury Park, and they would have probably run past each other on the NLR between Cannonbury and Western Junction.

15's and 23's were seen running at the lower end of the GN... Hitchin to KX... Generally on Sundays and from memory with 20's also (and 24's). The 15's and 20's were employed on ballast etc as were 23's on the Sunday possesions. There are a number of photos in circulation primarily from Dave Percival.. the classics being around Langley Junction during the remodelling (Strayed a bit here though as they dont include 15's)

Steve w

Archived