GW RTR Passenger Stock (OO guage)

• RMweb Premium

Who has made OO RTR GW Passenger stock in the past?

Is there a definitve list somewhere - I have been trying to search for the last 30 minutes, but sadly the washing up needs to be done.

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. There is a list somewhere on RM Web but I can'tfind it. It may even have been "Big 4 RTR coaches".

Discounting Triang and anything done by Hornby in their "Yellow and brown" period, I was looking for some RTR coaching stock. I have the new Hawksworths, and a nice rake of Mainline Colletts.

Anything else half decent out there in RTR?

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby celerestory coaches don't look too bad, albeit the pannelling is painted

I agree. I forgot to mention those.

Looks like it may be a rake of Centenary stock I'm looking for next.

Exley were one of the earliest in the 1950's with an Ocean Mails full brake, third, brake third, diner and a sleeper plus some suburban coaches, most in post war Hawksworth livery. Still running my dads old diner as it is fairly good representation of a H25. Few visitors have noticed and assume it is kit built with the rest of the train.

In the mid 1970's, what I see as the first 'true' GWR' coaches, the ex Airifx B set and autocoach are mentioned above , still going strong, yet the original tooling is now nearly forty years old.

At the time Airfix appeared, most GWR coaches from the period were 'westernised' standard vehicles from Dublo, Triang, Trix, Lima etc who just painted the same coach in each of the big four liveries. Prior to this, if you wanted decent GW stock it was kit building of BSL, Mallard, Mopok, K's, Ratio etc to get anything near an accurate coach.

Mike Wiltshire

I agree. I forgot to mention those.

Looks like it may be a rake of Centenary stock I'm looking for next.

The issue with the Centenary stock is that Airfix only modelled two for the 7 diagrams of coach, the compo (of which there was one diagrammed for the train) and the right-hand brake third (same comment). The other diagrams were: left-hand brake third (one), third (three), dining third (one), restaurant first (one), and brake compo (two). Two train sets were made, with six additional strengthening coaches (two r/h brake thirds, two compos, and two brake compos) for a grand total of 26 coaches.

The Hornby bow-ended coaches are fir representations of the 1920s stock, especially the restaurant. The compo has two ventilators per compartment and the wrong split of first/third compartments while the brake third possibly has the guard's door in the wrong place on one side (I have yet to find a photo confirming this).

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

I notice that Hornby made 2 variants of the Centenary stock - one is offered in the "Top Link" range, and there is also what seems to be an identical model with a different part number - or is this a "Railroad" range versionof the same item, albeit with a different standard of finish?

I notice that Hornby made 2 variants of the Centenary stock - one is offered in the "Top Link" range, and there is also what seems to be an identical model with a different part number - or is this a "Railroad" range versionof the same item, albeit with a different standard of finish?

The Centenary coaches have been released multiple times, with different liveries and/or running numbers. The 'Top Link' range is an older Hornby branding. The most recent BR maroon releases had the sliding ventilators added to the windows (with paint). The coaches were not modeled with the sliding ventilators, so the only correct livery for them is chocolate and cream with double waist lining and the shirtbutton logo. The windows were rebuilt with sliding ventilators in the 1936-1938 timeframe, before any new liveries would have been used.

Adrian

on the Hornby comp the corridor side looks good to me about right?

on the compartment side the first and third split is in the wrong place

is that right

pictures ive got can only make out one row of roof vents off center towards compartment side

were they built with two per compartment

mark

One note on the Bachmann Colletts is that they have 2 correct body mouldings for the TK (third corridor) and BCK (brake composite).

However they have produced corridor composites using the corrider 3rd body which is incorrect. They have also produced a Brake 3rd using the Brake Composite moulding which is wrong again as there was never an all 3rd brake with that windown arrangement.

on the Hornby comp the corridor side looks good to me about right?

on the compartment side the first and third split is in the wrong place

is that right

The problem is that one of the 'first' compartments is sized as a third, which throws off the window spacing on both sides, as well as making one window on the corridor side too small.

pictures ive got can only make out one row of roof vents off center towards compartment side

were they built with two per compartment

mark

It is possible that some early ones were built with two per compartment, but I would think it unlikely. None of the diagrams or works (as built) photos I've seen have two per compartment. The 70' coaches that were built just before these did originally have two per compartment, but the second one was removed quite early in their life.

Adrian

One note on the Bachmann Colletts is that they have 2 correct body mouldings for the TK (third corridor) and BCK (brake composite).

The Mainline version of the third is more accurate than the Bachmann one as the tooling was modified to reduce the corridor side windows to be the same height as the compartment side ones. The difference is quite noticeable even though it was only 2" on the prototype. The BCK was not modified, so it still has the correct corridor-side windows.

Discussion here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/31810-mainlinereplicabachmann-sunshine-collett-coaches/

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby bow-ended coaches are fir representations of the 1920s stock, especially the restaurant.

I have been searching for a hint of part number or photo of this model and can't find a thing - only different numbered brakes and composites. Was it only available in a set?

I have been searching for a hint of part number or photo of this model and can't find a thing - only different numbered brakes and composites. Was it only available in a set?

Currently in the Railroad range:

R4523 Compo (Dia E127)

R4524 Brake Third (Dia D95)

R4525 Restaurant (Dia H33) http://www.Hornby.com/shop/Hornby-railroad/railroad-rolling-stock/r4525-railroad-gwr-restaurant-coach/

Note that the Restaurant is pre-1938 as they were subsequently rebuilt with sliding ventilators.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

R4525 Restaurant (Dia H33) http://www.Hornby.co...staurant-coach/

That doesn't look like a Centenary Restaurant to me - Sorry if it's my fault - my question should have said "Did anyone make an RTR Centenary Restaurant".

Or will such an item as listed above (R4525) have to suffice?

I already have one R4525 on back order to slip into the rake of Hawksworths - do I make it 2 so that I can slip one into the Centenary rake?

Thanks

That doesn't look like a Centenary Restaurant to me - Sorry if it's my fault - my question should have said "Did anyone make an RTR Centenary Restaurant".

No. See post #9

Or will such an item as listed above (R4525) have to suffice?

I already have one R4525 on back order to slip into the rake of Hawksworths - do I make it 2 so that I can slip one into the Centenary rake?

Thanks

It depends on what you are trying to model and how accurate you want it to be. The H33 composite restaurant was really built for cross country trains and as such would be unlikely to be seen with Centenary coaches in GWR days, although the possibility is higher post-war. As I mentioned above, the windows are wrong for a post-war H33 due to the rebuilding in the late 1930s so, leaving aside the question of livery, it isn't quite right to run with Hawksworths.

Adrian

Archived