Fitting a decoder to Bachmann Class 08

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

I am considering buying the Bachmann class 08, but not sure about fitting a decoder and which type to use. Can anyone advise the best option and any fitting details. I have fitted plug-in decoders to recent Bachmann models and hard-wired a couple of older locos, so quite confident that the wiring should not be a problem, but concerned about avaliable space within the body. A sound decoder is not possible at the moment, but may be something to be fitted at a later date.

Thanks

I am considering buying the Bachmann class 08, but not sure about fitting a decoder and which type to use. Can anyone advise the best option and any fitting details. I have fitted plug-in decoders to recent Bachmann models and hard-wired a couple of older locos, so quite confident that the wiring should not be a problem, but concerned about avaliable space within the body. A sound decoder is not possible at the moment, but may be something to be fitted at a later date.

Thanks

www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk

has a page with photos which describes how to do this.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

The Bromsgrove site links to a relatively old Steve Jones article on a web archive.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080102185154/www.electricnose.co.uk/dcc/dccbachmann08.html

Whilst that is useful for the dismantling the model process the actual decoder (lenz LE1025A) used is pretty much extinct today. If its any help mine has a TCS MC2 in it which fits the chassis neatly.

• Like 1

Hi

I have 2 of these one DCC ready and the other not DCC ready

On the not DCC ready what I did was the same as on the above link but the decoder I used was the Bachmann 3 function

On the DCC ready one I used on of TCS DP2X-UK direct plugin decoders.

The heardest part with either is getting the body shell off.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi Mate

Decoders are simple to fit on either Bachmann or Hornby's 08's,however be careful not to trap the wiring when putting the shell back as it's a tight fit !

For the record,a mate of mine has just fitted DCC sound to one of his 08's and he said it was a nightmare.There is nowhere to put the speaker,and he finished up putting it into the cab itself

You couldn't see it to be fair looking down at the loco,but it a far from ideal place to have to put it.

It will be interesting to see the Hornby Class 08 with sound that has just been announced for 2010,both where they put the speaker,and of course the sound quality !

I would guess at a layout of oval speaker standing vertically behind the radiator grille, decoder lying on top of motor, with whatever small chassis alterations are required to fit these components.

There is a lot more room in both RTR 08s than first meets the eye. By slightly modifying the interior of the body mouldings my Bach 08s (which are packed with as much lead as possible for tractive purposes) have Lenz golds lying flat immediately under the bonnet tops. The Hornby 08 (which has not had to be weighted as it runs in a freight being delivered) easily accomodates a Lenz silver decoder behind the radiator, using the two posts that take the body securing screws to trap it in position, one of the easiest installs of any model I have tackled. The chassis casting may need to be slightly reshaped to give enough depth, but I can see this location being very suitable for the speaker.

For the record,a mate of mine has just fitted DCC sound to one of his 08's and he said it was a nightmare.There is nowhere to put the speaker,and he finished up putting it into the cab itself

I have TWO speakers in my sound fitted Hornby 08 and as for sound quality it is probably the loudest sound fitted loco I have!

Hi,

I have fitted both Bachmann and Hornby 08s with TCS DP2X-Uk decoders[ from Bromsgrove] with no problemse simple to fit, plus the 12 month no quibble guarantee is bonus,both run very well at all speeds with excellent control

Brittannia

Hi,

I have fitted both Bachmann and Hornby 08s with TCS DP2X-Uk decoders[ from Bromsgrove] with no problemse simple to fit, plus the 12 month no quibble guarantee is bonus,both run very well at all speeds with excellent control

Brittannia

Hi,

Brittannia

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys

Thanks for all of your replys. I am still waiting for the Bachmann 08 to arrive in stock at my local model shop, so will have a closer look at the decoder options when I have the loco in my hands. Eventually, sound will be fitted, so quite happy to fit a standard Bachmann decoder and seeing that the Bachmann have fitted with a 8-pin socket, then I assume that their own decoder would fit.

From comments read across the forum, either SWD or Howes offer a sound decoder / speaker combination that can be fitted, so will speak to them when i have the cash.

Guest 838rapid

To sound fit a Bachy 08 is a bigger job than fitting a Hornby 08.

On the Bachy 08 they recommend it all goes in the cab.

Am sure there is a link on here somewhere regardingfitting the soundchip to the Bachmann 08

• 8 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, managed to fit in a R8249 with my clumsy porky fingers. I managed to damage the plastic rail on the lower side while trying in vain to pry the body off. It is the hardest ever body to remove, after you actually locate the concealed screws and even then you are left with a dilemma of using too much force or cracking it up like an egg. What worked with me was the gentle left right rocking motion that finally got the body off...It will set your heart racing and it is very possible to break something along the way. Even when the body came off, it didn't do so completely. There is a plastic wire hose thingy on the front that clings on so you can't really part the body shell from the interior. Still, I was able to plug in the R8249 while easily removing the blanking chip. The wires must be neatly folded and the decoder insulated. It all fits neatly into the front area which is tiny. After testing I clipped it back together, screwed the concealed screws and fixed back the couplers. It wasn't easy overall, and it was very easy to do damage. So it is a yellow signal for those wishing to do work inside a Bachmann Class 08...