PDK Kits GWR 42xx anyone built one?

Gee Vee

Never come across PDK kits before but stumbled across them on the web. I am thinking about getting one of their 42xx 2-8-0 tanks for use on my china clay layout. two were allocated to St Blazey in 1947.

Has anyone built one? whats ya opinion? or has anyone built another PDK kit? How well do they go together? instructions easy to follow? Any comments/advice welcome.

Gee Vee

• RMweb Gold

Tony Wright built the 72xx in May 2008 Vol 16 no 2 BRM. The big issue for me was that it lacked any of the footplate variations and it also didn't have the lamp iron cut out in the back of the bunker.

PDK kits generally go together well enough in 00 from what i've seen though.

Craig,

you can specify which footplate variation your require with the PDK kit; it just doesn't come with a 'universal' fit all frames and footplate.

Secondly and more importantly, not all 72xx had cut outs in the bunker!

I'll refer to Page 81 of Bradford Barton's 'More Great Western steam on shed' which has a picture of the rear ends of 7211 and 7213 outside Pantyffynon shed in April 1964. Neither have either a bunker rear cut out, or a raised lamp shield over the top of the bunker.

I've noticed quite a variation in the back ends of GW tank locos. the smaller ones had no cut out and no lamp shield, Some could have a cut out across the whole of the bunker rear, others just the top sheet of the bunker had the cut out (Large prairies being a prime example). Add the lamp shield to these last two variations as an optional extra, and you have quite a variation across the fleet.

The old adage of if you want an accurate model of a particular loco, you must find the appropriate photos to support your model rings very true.

It would be interesting to find out what policy there was as to the fitting of the differing bunkers and the lamp shields? Perhaps it was decided by the respective heavy repair depots rather than a Swindon edict.............I'm sure Caerphilly had different ideas on what was needed on the bunker of a loco compared to say Newton Abbott.

Regards

Richard

Archived