Duke of Gloucester Cab Roof Colour

RedgateModels

• RMweb Gold

Just spotted what might be a bit of a livery error on my DoG project - the preserved version has the cab roof below the rainstrips painted green.

Now, I've always done these black as per the original Triang Brit, never occurred to me before that they should be green.

So, can anyone confirm the roof colour for DoG in service (apart from dirty, sooty black!)????

Might have to re-do my clan too :scratchhead:

Hi Redgate, I've had the same query in the past and looked into it. The big BR green locos had the green up and over the rainstrip above the windows and right up to the next rainstrip exactly like your picture on your posting, DofG was no exception.

Small BR locos like the 2mt etc. when in green, only had the green up to the top of the cab side.

Hope that convinces you.

Dave Franks.

Glad someone else is taking as long to build DofG as me...... :locomotive:

I have just checked on some web photos,eg http://trainmanswindon.co.uk/gallery/trains/kettle-corner/p9050521/ and my own pics of the preserved DofG. The centre section of the cab roof appears black - more or less the width of the firebox. The green continues beyond thwe windows.

Also in the book BR Standard Pacifics, the engines appear to have this colour scheme beneath varying layers of grime.

Now, where's that Clan with the wrong roof too .........

Check your pics first - never assume that anything that might have gone anywhere near St Rollox paintshop came out with the same bits painted green as other members of the class. Or the same size numbers, or crest, or lining pattern, or...or...

• RMweb Gold

Fair point Stuart, and working from the pic I have of Clan Mac gleaned off t'internet I have already given it orange cylinder lining not red. Of course the pic is quite unclear as to roof colour, but if I were to be a betting man I would say it too is green above the windows

http://www.holidayrail.co.uk/railtours/gallery/images/72007%20Clan%20Mackintosh.jpg

sorted ;)

post-6717-0-62583300-1317368730_thumb.jpg

Now, where's that Clan with the wrong roof too .........

You may want to double check that plumbing, Redgate: it looks like there's a transposed line coming off the top of the firebox that doesn't need to be:

5090715233_966db5963a_b.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Yes, thanks for that, I agonised long and hard over this one, but as I'm modelling the Duke in '58 I worked off a pic when it was at Crewe that shows the pipe run as modelled. I agree it's not standard in that the pipe from the front face of the manifold runs to the blower valve.

I'm willing to be proved wrong but it's far too far down the line to change now anyway ;)

Note also the extra pipe from the other front face that supplies steam to the coal pusher (where the whistle would be on a 9F)

I don't think the Duke's was, in BR days at least.

The white cab roof was an affectation on the Great Eastern Railway royal engine. A Britannia might possibly be so painted, as the sheds maintained the tradition into BR days, but not 71000 as far as I know.

Archived