houghton conquest box

hi there,

my dad used to be a signalman on the LMS line in the 60's - 80's. in the signal boxes bedford south, north, kempston halt, houghton conquest, millbrook, harlington, and flitwick, but he mostly resided at houghton until it was pulled down in the late 70's. i as a child used to spend a lot of time in these boxes, especially houghton, which holds a lot of memories for me as i used to live in the row of cottages in kempston hardwick, known as railway cottages and at 6-10 years old i'd play in the woods opposite the box and then pop in to see dad for a cuppa, while he lit the fire, pulled on the levers for the signals, tapped on the morse code tap and entered train numbers into his big a3 brown railway book that sat in the middle of the box, perched oh and drank tea all day!

i watched the box at houghton being dismantled and i remember the excitement from my dad at the thought of being transferred to the new super box at west hampstead. if anyone has any pictures of the box or anyone remembers my dad and any stories. i'd be eternally grateful. my dads name was james (jimmy) wilson.

thanks in advance. james.

• RMweb Gold

I've seen a photo in a book somewhere, it was an LMS 11c standard cabin iirc.

The Middleton Press book St Albans - Bedford claims to cover it, as I don't own the book I can neither confirm nor deny this.

It was abolished in 1973, pre West Hampstead and it's nameboard sold for £210 in 2010.

thanks - thats fantastic - i don't suppose you know where it was sold or who bought the name board? silly question but besides the signalling, what other purpose did the box serve, do you know? i vaguely remember a siding that went off to the brickworks - coronation works? would it have been a much busier box in its hay days?

• RMweb Gold

I haven't got the track / signalling plan to hand, but your brickworks connection is plausible although I've also seen reference to Associated Portland Cement The box may have been busier, probably more traffic into/out of the works, I guess it was closed after the connections were no longer required, it was possibly replaced by IBS, West Hampstead was still a few years away.

I can't remember which auction house sold the board and the buyer would be private anyway.

Archived