YORK 'Leaman Road' MPD - LNER 1938

Guest 2750

Hi Tom,

I can see where you got your inspiriation from. Haymarket Cross is an excellent layout.

You have a good plan there. Look forward to seeing it come together.

Cheers Mark

I must say, I'm really pleased we are at the stage we are now, 3 months ago, the old layout was taking up most of the garage and was causing me nothing but a nuisance, and now we have a baseboard all ready to populate with 4mm! :P

As long as know one sees any problems with the above track plan, I think I'm happy for this to be the final version, over Christmas I will fix everything down, with droppers on all tracks, then February will see Tim coming up to help wire (I say help but in fairness I will be helping as Tim does the DCC jiggery pockery ;) )

Currently working on the coaling stage (as well as school reports *groan) as the coaler requires a certain amount of filling.

Oh, and before I forget, the 2/3s of the old layout did find a use last week!

:devil:

post-6764-0-55707200-1321102130_thumb.jpg

Morning all :)

I got the Townstreet 'Cenotaph' pretty much finished yesterday. Involved some filling in (quite alot of filling in) with plaster of paris. Then painting once more, before finally weathering her.

The only thing that is left to do, is to add the guard rails for the hoist track.

First time I had built a Townstreet kit so didn't really know what to expect. There was quite a few issue with parts not lining up properly, and there was an incident with a top wall (with window breaking) which snapped in two. Hence a cracked pane, but as it's the inside facing face of the tower, it won't really be seen....call it wartime wear a tear ;)

See what you guys think :)

post-6764-0-26570500-1321176554_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-46763700-1321176568_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-64934200-1321176580_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-67420900-1321176591_thumb.jpg

Evening all

After the last week, of just trying to see how everything would fit together, I decided to start laying track out. A big thank you to Gilbert (great northern) for kindly giving me lots...and I mean lots of track from his original Peterborough North. A lot of it is usable for the layout, and the pointwork I bought from him is a godsend! ;)

Anyhow, I've laid everything out, and this is how things look so far.

All radii are no tighter than 42 inches, so I see no problems for my kit locos...I didn't want anything sharper as my B16/3 has got to be able to negotiate the layout.

Views from the top of the Cenotaph.

post-6764-0-12607800-1321383322_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-55678800-1321383336_thumb.jpg

There are to be two unpowered coach sidings, to give an idea of depth and the feeling there are more sidings beyond into the backscene. I also thought it would be a way to get me into kit coach building next year...and a place keep said kits.

While I planning things out, I thought I might as well get a few locos out to give me a feeling of how things will hopefully be in a few months :D

60121 Silurian awaits her duty in one of 50As many sidings.

post-6764-0-93115200-1321383367_thumb.jpg

60503 Lord President moves off her home shed

post-6764-0-12928300-1321383381_thumb.jpg

Doncaster's 60090 Grand Parade is being coaled before being turned and will then await a duty to take her home.

post-6764-0-68614800-1321383407_thumb.jpg

Finally a visitor from Grantham...the one off A1/1 60113 'Great Northern' moves on shed for servicing. beautifully painted, weathered and DCC'd by Tim Easter

post-6764-0-03025200-1321383421_thumb.jpg

My 50A is starting to come together :D

post-6764-0-62634200-1321383353_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

post-6764-0-04129200-1321383393_thumb.jpg

Love the locos Tom. As an 11/12 yr old I spent most of my Saturdays at Copley Hill sheds in Leeds, 1/2 a mile from home, watching the Leeds-Kings X pacifics etc, along with trips to York, Doncaster etc. I just wish I had the space to do mainline expresses justice............

Hi Tom, I can see where you got your inspiriation from. Haymarket Cross is an excellent layout. You have a good plan there. Look forward to seeing it come together. I am orgainising our exhibition for easter 2012, do you think the Haymarket Cross boys would come to OZ for easter next year. I fear not. May have to build my own exhibition Layout as it is very hard to find British exhibition layouts in OZ these days. Mark in OZ

Mark,

will be down to the travel agent first thing tomorrow to get my flight booked, do you think they will allow the layout as hand luggage !

Cheers

Ian (silverlink)

Love the locos Tom. As an 11/12 yr old I spent most of my Saturdays at Copley Hill sheds in Leeds, 1/2 a mile from home, watching the Leeds-Kings X pacifics etc, along with trips to York, Doncaster etc. I just wish I had the space to do mainline expresses justice............

Thank you Ian. I too would love the space to do main line expresses, but as you say you need that space, and the last layout just couldn't deliver, hence iv gone with this form of layout, so I can still have my Pacifics :D

Fascinating about Copley Hill, very envious! Never saw my ideal era of railways, I was born 17 years after the end of steam.

Tom,

thought you might like this which I took in 1961

60150 WILLBROOK 50A at York shed

post-4401-0-83096300-1321393749_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ian (silverlink)

What a smashing photo Ian, and you took it you say? I love the angle of her! Ready to do business :)

Well I'm happy I've got my plan sorted out now :)...fun starts now adding droppers to all the track :O

Hi Silverlink, Alias Ian

I have booked you in for Easter. Ask Qantas baggage handlers.

I plan to extend my layout by 5' (1500mm) which will make it 20' (6m apx) x 8' (2.4m). I could go another 2', but I have a Cupboard, Surfski, ladders and tools to keep in the shed. I have purchased all the track and points and framing, just a couple more point motors and build the tops and a couple of Viaducts. The branchline will then be built.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

It's looking good Tom, and I'm well impressed with the way you are thinking it through too. You will be rewarded by having something that will give you pleasure rather than just causing frustration. Just remember it's the first part of the master plan, which may not come to full fruition for a good while yet! It's good to see that track and pointwork being of some use rather than just sitting in that drawer of mine.

It's looking good Tom, and I'm well impressed with the way you are thinking it through too. You will be rewarded by having something that will give you pleasure rather than just causing frustration. Just remember it's the first part of the master plan, which may not come to full fruition for a good while yet! It's good to see that track and pointwork being of some use rather than just sitting in that drawer of mine.

Thankyou Gilbert.

You certainly saved me a lot of spenditure. The point work is great and a lot of the track will be fine too.

As you say, this is the first stage, and im trying to stay grounded. Feeling a little daunted at doing the droppers, but I have 3 months until Tim E comes up, so plenty of time to lay this track carefully.

End of February should see a fully operational layout! :D

This looks grand Tom and the locos are fab. I can't wait to see more. I note from the plan that the layout will be DCC. Will you be adding sound chips and smoke units? I saw a "smoker" at a recent exhibition and was quite impressed - they've come on miles since my old Triang L1!

Regards and keep up the good work.

This looks grand Tom and the locos are fab. I can't wait to see more. I note from the plan that the layout will be DCC. Will you be adding sound chips and smoke units? I saw a "smoker" at a recent exhibition and was quite impressed - they've come on miles since my old Triang L1!

Regards and keep up the good work.

Many thanks Brian :)

I currently have one DCC sound loco, BR Blue A4 Sparrow Hawk, which I'll be renumbering and renaming to Golden Eagle.

I'm not to sure about smoke gens, have never thought smoke scales that well. I do have a large smoke machine I use for giving a generally smokey feel which should make some cracking photographs! :D

Hi Tom,

I to have the latest Hornby Sparrow Hawk with sound. It sounds very good to me, only ever heard Sir Nigel Gresley live, but lots of video footage. I was thinking of adding lights and possibly an extra speaker over the cylinders. I have heard that the smoke units can melt the plastic chimneys, so will have to wait on that. I have a smoke unit which I will put at the front of the Engine shed to create the effect of smoke from the front of the loco (cylinders etc) as Ian (silverlink) has shown with the picture above of Willbrook.

Nice selection of Locos there Tom all weathered nicely.

Mark

Hi Tom,

I to have the latest Hornby Sparrow Hawk with sound. It sounds very good to me, only ever heard Sir Nigel Gresley live, but lots of video footage. I was thinking of adding lights and possibly an extra speaker over the cylinders. I have heard that the smoke units can melt the plastic chimneys, so will have to wait on that. I have a smoke unit which I will put at the front of the Engine shed to create the effect of smoke from the front of the loco (cylinders etc) as Ian (silverlink) has shown with the picture above of Willbrook.

Mark

Mark,

I have just finished an A4 for a friend & fitted the speaker directly under the chimney. As it is one of the earlier A4's there are no wires to connect between loco & tender and the speaker fits brilliantly directly under the chimney. All that is needed is to shave off a small amount of the plastic casing & it pushes right up under the chimney, one of the easiest sound jobs to do. On the latest models you will have to add a couple of wires to the tender to connect up to the speaker in it. I have a few with tender speaker & have discarded them in favour of better ones. Don't like the smoke it smells & gets in your eyes & throat & can make a mess of your loco.

Ian

Hi Tom,

Mark

Thank you Mark.

The weathering has all been done by my self, other than Great Northern which was done superbly by Tim Easter.

I have some more locos to work on before Christmas, in particular an O4 with correct GCR tender, not the standard ROD tender, courtesy of Tim.

Locos I take delivery of in the new year are, A2 60526 Sugar Palm of 50A, in BR green and multi valve regulator....and the loco I'm very much looking forward to receiving....A2/3 Herringbone in Apple Green, circa 1950/early 51. I do believe the loco might be making appearance with Mr Easter at Warley this weekend!

Cheers

Tom

Afternoon all!

Miserable day here, thick fog has engulfed the dales, so I decided to head into the garage and do a touch of work on the layout.

The Carriage Sidings, which are really just a part of the backdrop to the layout, are not going to be powered. So I though I might as well work on getting these lines fixed in place. They pretty much run the full length of the layout, so we are talking 14ft of track for each line. I tried using the super glue method for these, but I realized it was going to be far easier on these two lines to use pins...they are always going to have coaches on them, so it seemed somewhat easier, especially them being the furthest away lines to deal with.

Here are a few snaps from today.

Cheers

Tom

post-6764-0-17579400-1321807786_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-81440800-1321807797_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-71383300-1321807809_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-15525500-1321807821_thumb.jpg

Tom, it's looks like it should be rather good :)

Great place to show off the weathering on your locos too!

Cheers James.

Things seem to be moving in the right direction. Have alot of reference material of WTTs and loco movements for York in the early 50s.

Next step is fixing track in place with copper droppers.....that's when the fun begins! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all!

Tonight's update has been doing a touch of work on another A1.

Here we have, what started of as 60114 'W.P ALLEN'

Annoyingly she was I think the first A1 released, and Bachmann at the time didn't line the wheels on them, but that will be remedied hopefully early next year. Due to 60114 being the only A1 named in apple green, Bachmann haven't released anymore apple green A1s other than 60163....More on her later.

Anyhow here is how the model looks so far, old chimney removed, by filing, and one of Graeme King's superb resin chimney's added. I've got it to fit much better than I did Silurian's.

post-6764-0-44918600-1322942801_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-55434400-1322942789_thumb.jpg

The Deflectors have been removed, and thanks to microsol have removed the names very nicely.

post-6764-0-61415600-1322942777_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow they will be fixed back, and the smokebox and chimney painted.

Regarding 60163.... I hope to use an apple green Bachmann version, as basis for doing an apple green Darlington built member of the class :D

Thanks for looking :)

Looking nice Tom!

When are you looking at making the trip over to the Eastern part of our great county?

Most likely the week before Christmas, once the schools have broken up....can I visit your signal box! :D

Only just come across this thread. Love the weathering on the locos.

Many thanks Westerner :D

'I've just painted the smokebox with the airbrush, mix of Matt Black, and Gunmetal Black, deflectors have been done also, and will be popping them back on later today :)

Now...just to decide on which class member...... It needs to be one of the first 13 A1s, seen as the 14th member went straight into Express Passenger Blue. Also has to be one of the first 13 as this is a Doncaster A1, with riveted tender and cab.

These 13 are generally, Heaton, Copley Hill and King's Cross locos....the next A1 I'm to do is to be 60116 unamed (would be called Hal o' the Wynd) of Heaton shed, with an interesting smokebox door arrangement.

So I'm thinking that the A1 I'm currently working on as being a King's Cross A1.

Would it be reasonable that 34A locos would possible come off at York?

...and here is how things are looking so far. Before doing these new chimney's I hadn't noticed the issues with the Bachmann chimney....but when you compare now....what a difference!

post-6764-0-66435700-1323012457_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-11615100-1323012470_thumb.jpg

Archived