YORK 'Leaman Road' MPD - LNER 1938

Guest 2750

I don't remember seeing any of the York Pacifics very often Tom. I believe they may have had two diagrams a day through to KX in the late '50's, and more during the hours of darkness. Most of them rivalled Gateshead for filth too. My memory is that one or two of the A2/3's were seen most- 512 sticks in mind, followed by 522. The A1's were rare, I waited ages for Flamboyant and Peregrine. They would not I think have come off at Peterborough in the late '50's, but might well have been on New England having worked in on parcels or Class C goods. 526 had a general overhaul in October '49, her next one being late '52. She did have a heavy intermediate in summer '51 though, and I suppose Doncaster would then have cleaned her up, even if she wasn't repainted. Model her then, before the grime had a chance to get too thick again Tom.

Hi Tom

A Very nice looking loco.

Out of interest there is a photo by ColourRail on there website of A2 60526 Sugar Palm at Peterborough in August 1961.

Photo Ref No 3078.

Regards

David

Hi Tom

A Very nice looking loco.

Out of interest there is a photo by ColourRail on there website of A2 60526 Sugar Palm at Peterborough in August 1961.

Photo Ref No 3078.

Regards

David

Thanks David, I also have another ColourRail photo of her at speed on the ECML in 1958 (I think).

Just now I've been going through my books on the subject, and I've found the perfect photo for me to work from. For those that have 'The Book of the A1 and A2 Pacifics' by Peter Coster, turn to page 184. Nice close up shot of 60526 entering York Station past 50A, photo dated as April 1950, and she's in not too shabby condition too!

Tom

Thanks David, I also have another ColourRail photo of her at speed on the ECML in 1958 (I think).

Just now I've been going through my books on the subject, and I've found the perfect photo for me to work from. For those that have 'The Book of the A1 and A2 Pacifics' by Peter Coster, turn to page 184. Nice close up shot of 60526 entering York Station past 50A, photo dated as April 1950, and she's in not too shabby condition too!

Tom

Hi Tom

I do not have that book I will have to look out for it when I am next in a large railway bookshop, none left in Swindon any more.

I do have a copy of Peter Coster's book on the A4's, it's excellent.

I also recently purchased on EBay, a book Part 2A Locomotives of the LNER "tender engines classes A1 to A10" this book give a vast amount of information on all of the LNER pacific's from building to withdrawal, only £7.50 including PP, its a 38 year old first copy published by "The Railway Correspondence and Travel Society"

This is only my opinion but your A2 65026 Sugar Palm is far too good to be weathered too much, I would only give a light hint weathering if it was my model.

look forward to seeing your final results.

Regards

David

I'd well recommend Peter Coster's book, unbiased, and nicely documented.

The RCTS 2A has been the backbone of my research frankly, and in many ways I find more helpful.

Don't worry David 60526 won't be completely decrepit!

Monday I intend to make a start on weathering her. :D

I have record of lots of pacifics at York on through trains from the north to the south and vice versa. On my many visits to York in early 60's I have kept my log of what came through.

60526 'SUGAR PALM' York up leaving platform 8

post-4401-0-60471000-1324153893_thumb.jpg

silverlink

I have record of lots of pacifics at York on through trains from the north to the south and vice versa. On my many visits to York in early 60's I have kept my log of what came through.

60526 'SUGAR PALM' York up leaving platform 8

post-4401-0-60471000-1324153893_thumb.jpg

silverlink

A very nice photo Ian, not shappy she is either!. I'm guessing with such a large allocation of A1 Pacifics, that SUGAR PALM would have been more of a standby loco in case of emergencies. Would that sound about right?

Tomorrow 60526 will get her thin layer of weathering! :)

Tom

As a lad I was too young to get much further than Doncaster until the pacifics had all but disappeared.

But both Flamboyant and Peregrine were early cops for me and I only REALLY started spotting in 1959/60, aged 8.

So they must have been fairly regular vistors to Doncaster.

A very nice photo Ian, not shappy she is either!. I'm guessing with such a large allocation of A1 Pacifics, that SUGAR PALM would have been more of a standby loco in case of emergencies. Would that sound about right?

Tomorrow 60526 will get her thin layer of weathering! :)

Tom

Yes Tom, quite correct. When I think back to my spotting days Sugar Palm would frequently pass by and I would think 'oh no not that again'!!!!! nowerdays I would think a bit differently. Here is just one day on York station Monday 10th July 1961:

60010 Flying Scotsman up

60021 Tees Tyne Pullman up

60024 Elizabethan up

60028 Elizabethan down

60076 Talisman down

That would be over around nine hours on the station

cheers

silverlink

Evening all.

Thank you to Silverlink and Coachmann for sharing those photos....I much appreciate them and do feel free to post more!

Today has been pretty rough if I'm honest, my border collie of 16 and a half years had to be put down. She seemed to have gone down in the last couple of days, and this morning she wasn't able to stand. When the vet looked at her gums and tongue, they were almost white, so her heart was failing her clearly.

She will be deeply missed, my faithful best friend for 16 years...a true railway dog listening to me ramble on about the LNER.

Thanks for being my best mate Meg!

These two photos were only taken a couple of months back....bright as a button to the end!

post-6764-0-09773000-1324228883.jpg

post-6764-0-14858700-1324228877.jpg

Evening all.

Thank you to Silverlink and Coachmann for sharing those photos....I much appreciate them and do feel free to post more!

Today has been pretty rough if I'm honest, my border collie of 16 and a half years had to be put down. She seemed to have gone down in the last couple of days, and this morning she wasn't able to stand. When the vet looked at her gums and tongue, they were almost white, so her heart was failing her clearly.

She will be deeply missed, my faithful best friend for 16 years...a true railway dog listening to me ramble on about the LNER.

Thanks for being my best mate Meg!

These two photos were only taken a couple of months back....bright as a button to the end!

post-6764-0-09773000-1324228883.jpg

post-6764-0-14858700-1324228877.jpg

Hi Tom

I am so sorry to hear the sad news about your Border Collie, I know how you must feel as I had to have our Great Dane Hannah put to sleep a few years ago she was 8-1/2.

They are a big part of the family.

Regards

David

Tom,

as you know I have PM'ed you about Meg,but having looked at those two photos she looked in fine condition at 16 so from her point of view its lovely to think that her passing has been quite quick and that she had enjoyed such an active life almost to the end.Not that it makes it any easier for you.

Best Wishes,

Derek.

I appreciate these lists, granted I'm modelling 10 years before this date but it's still helpful indeed!

Question, were any of these locos Top Shed locos? I've been wondering at the likely hood of them coming off at York?

(null)

• RMweb Premium

HI Tom,

You have the Book of the A4's I think? On page 203 there is a photo of Miles Beevor at Selby. Peter Coster's comment is that the train is "presumably the summer 0940 KX - Newcastle, the only train that normally brought a London engine north of Doncaster in those days". The photo is dated August 16th 1952. Your period is a bit earlier though isn't it? In that case you can model the short lived experiment in 1951 when through workings to Newcastle from London were tried, though not for long as the locos weren't up to it. I bet quite a lot came off at York with hot boxes and other defects - plenty of work for your station pilot. Speaking of which, how about one of the Darlington pilots which stayed apple green long after all the rest?

Thank you Gilbert. That's given me a good enough excuse for the odd Top Shed Pacific!

Regarding a station pilot. I found a J71 that was stationed at York....very interesting livery. Brunswick Green, with early emblem, but with LNER black and white lining.

A must have I think!

Tom, it'll be NER green, not Brunswick or BR green. From photos I've seen they were cleaned but the dirt was certainly well engrained by the cleaning, which may explain the green looks darker?

Tom, it'll be NER green, not Brunswick or BR green. From photos I've seen they were cleaned but the dirt was certainly well engrained by the cleaning, which may explain the green looks darker?

Not according to Yeadon Register James

Picture shows and description

Only No.8286 got the green painting and the LNER style lasted until 6th December 1949 when it went to Gateshead for general repair. On 6th January 1950 they turned it out still in green, but now the BR Brunswick variety and although broad black and narrow white lining continued, this was restricted just to a panel on the tank and one on the bunker. On 16th June 1952 it went to Darlington for attention but was withdrawn.

The photo of 68286 with early emblem very much appears to be as the description says, Brunswick Green with the black and white lining, and is dated May 1952 at York. :)

That's interesting Tom :) The liveries in that early BR era are interesting, much like now people couldn't seem to decide on what should be painted in what livery andfor how long!

Expected better of Yeadon than to say brunswick green though!

Expected better of Yeadon than to say brunswick green though!

Do you mean instead of saying 'BR Green' hmmm very true. Tell you what, I'll being the book with me when I hopefully see you in February! :D

Intend to get on with Sugar Palm tomorrow ideally get the thing looking more...York like shall we say! ;)

Archived