The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Does Anybody Remember Rissoles?

edcayton

Bertiedog, I bow to your infinitely superior knowledge of Scrapple to mine. May it stay that way..................

Best, Pete.

It's like the Marmite........ Love it ...or Hate it .......advertising campaign..........

• RMweb Gold

In a small Polish Shop the other day, idly buying decent smoked sausages, ...

After the supermarket haslet query, my son's next attempt to find something different for his sandwiches resulted in a phone call from a Polish shop. He was convinced that the ones he was looking at only appeared to contain E numbers. Though he did find something after making enquiries with the shop staff.

• RMweb Premium

We had home made rissoles regularly when i was grwoing up in the late 50's and 60's. I remember my mother making them from the left overs from the Sunday roast with the egg binding and a few breadcrumbs. I have many happy memories of the various combinations that Monday dinners were made from using Sundays leftovers. My particular favourite was cold brisket with fried cabbage and carrot and fried mashed potatoe with wamred up gravy. It was a delicious meal in my opinion. (The frying pan was a very large one that apparently one of the great aunts had carried on a suffragette rally to resist arrest, whether this is where the dent in the base came from I don't know.)

As to the use of the word faggotts I nearly got into trouble at a family wedding when my nephew's Norwegian wife said how much she liked going to Ikea for the meatballs. I said "Oh you mean faggots" just as the garden around us went quiet, One or two of the other wedding guest's looked distincly uncomfortable at my legitinmate use of the word.

Jamie

The mention earlier of peas pudding prompted my response the tinned variety is absolute cack I am marroned far from home and I tried it once urghhhh!! and as any self respecting Durham lad will tell you a ham and peas pudding stottie is the ambrosia of the gods, along with panaculty.I have now masterd the art of making my own..As far as the rissoles go, again home made can be delightful shop bought again urghhh!!. a bit off topic I now live in North Wales I find it very hard to get a good Beef sausage aparently it is a Northern thing, so the local butchers tell me.

Who said there isn't a North South divide so I always stock up when I go home

A staple diet for any serving RM in the 80's, along with Nasi Goren.

Sunday brunch, after a 'run ashore', rissoles, eggs, snorkers, tinned tomatoes and fried bread.

Outstanding!

A nice low cholesterol meal :O

Dave

"In Britain, they seemed to be confined to the West Midlands, South Wales, and parts of North Somerset"

Much of my family be from Wiltshire, Hampshire, and the Isle of Wight I can well remember my Grandmother (I.O.W. family) making faggots (and brawn) now I have to make do with the Brains variety in deepest Norfolk.

My last rissole was probably in the RAF in the 1980's

The Q

Like Stephen Fry, he is superior to virtually all of us. There is literally nothing the fella doesn't know!

Huh? I thought he was Stephen Fry? I enjoyed his drive around the 'States in a London Taxi.............

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

At boarding school, pease pudding reminded me of babies' doings until I was hungry enough to try it and found that I liked it but since I left school I have not had it again.

Rissoles probably contains the most disgusting anatomy of the pig which rhymes perfectly!

Mmm rissoles. I used to love those back in the day when there was a local butcher to make and sell the things - as I recall the exterior was breaded and the interior quite a bright pink. What was actually in them I have no idea.

Archived