Class 128 Parcels unit livery enquiry

muddys-blues

May I comment ...I painted both of the Tyseley Units in the two tone livery, there was a third version of the livery which the BRB wanted, light/dark blue with a 6 inch rail grey stripe at waist level.....it I did this one first...it looked rubbish, so I did the other side with the red/white stripes, that one was approved.

Right as for the actual colours....

Lower panels = Rail Blue

Stripes= 1incg white, 6 inch rail red, 1 inch white

Upper panels= French blue ( this was used as it was the only tim of light blue we had in the stores at the time)

Lettering varied, first one had standard BR type face lettering

Second one had lettering in GWR Tender block type face in white and no shading, with a GW coat of arms (well it was done at a former western region depot)

Hope that's helps everyone.

Cheers

Yes, it has, enormously. Many thanks. For everyone's refernce, GWR Tender block typeface is something called Clarendon, though Clarendon looks a bit too thin for 55993. It might need to be Clarendon bold.

I've been making enquiries in the pres diesels world about paints. The answer is clear: water/coolant pipe blue is BS381 116 French blue. However, looking at the BS381 chart, what's right next to 116? 172 Pale roundel blue: http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Lab_values.asp?cRange=BS%20381C&cRef=BS381%20172&cDescription=Pale%20roundel%20blue

Could this be what MR's 55993 was painted in? A case of a finger pointing at the adjacent colour swatch in the BS381 book? Who knows. At least we now have clarity.

RWJ

I know. As I wrote previously, French Blue covers all sorts of shades. Only BS381 116 French Blue is correct for what we want. Ideally I need access to a tin of the stuff. I'll see what I can find or get.

Right on my travels yesterday, I popped into The Loco Shed in Besses O'th Barn, and came out with this model.....it is a Silver Fox version, I have removed the body form the chassis as it has some buffer beam damage, so the chassis is being repaired, I placed the body on top of the Heljan 55993 rail blue version, and to me John at Silver Fox has the paint shades spot on, certainly a lot lot lot lot nearer than the sky blue used on the MR model.

So I have emailed to kindly ask if he can let me know which paint he used for the upper panels.

I will then share this information on here.

post-8721-0-69894800-1395748502_thumb.jpg

Yes, it has, enormously. Many thanks. For everyone's refernce, GWR Tender block typeface is something called Clarendon, though Clarendon looks a bit too thin for 55993. It might need to be Clarendon bold.

I've been making enquiries in the pres diesels world about paints. The answer is clear: water/coolant pipe blue is BS381 116 French blue. However, looking at the BS381 chart, what's right next to 116? 172 Pale roundel blue: http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Lab_values.asp?cRange=BS%20381C&cRef=BS381%20172&cDescription=Pale%20roundel%20blue

Could this be what MR's 55993 was painted in? A case of a finger pointing at the adjacent colour swatch in the BS381 book? Who knows. At least we now have clarity.

RWJ

I would hate to think it was somebody with sausage fingers when the colour was chosen for the "cough cough" MR model ?

May I comment ...I painted both of the Tyseley Units in the two tone livery, there was a third version of the livery which the BRB wanted, light/dark blue with a 6 inch rail grey stripe at waist level.....it I did this one first...it looked rubbish, so I did the other side with the red/white stripes, that one was approved.

Right as for the actual colours....

Lower panels = Rail Blue

Stripes= 1incg white, 6 inch rail red, 1 inch white

Upper panels= French blue ( this was used as it was the only tim of light blue we had in the stores at the time)

Lettering varied, first one had standard BR type face lettering

Second one had lettering in GWR Tender block type face in white and no shading, with a GW coat of arms (well it was done at a former western region depot)

Hope that's helps everyone.

Cheers

Hi Ringo,

you mention that there was a third variant being with a grey stripe instead which was rejected. But what were the first 2 variants of the two-tone livery then - were the 2 units painted differently? or were they both the same with the colours as you've described

Thanks,

Gordon

• RMweb Premium

Despite all the comments about the 'wrong shade of blue' I decided to order one at the week end. It arrived this morning and the blue is a darker shade than I was led to believe, nevertheless it still is too light. I'm not too bothered about it as my model will be run as a 'preserved' example. 

Hi Folks, as I mentioned earlier, I emailed John at Silver Fox models for some information on the models he did a couple of years ago and this is what he said

John Hazleton "Thanks Craig, I can't remember which blue I used; rather think it might have been BR mainline freight blue, although I think that Humbrol 25 might be a reasonable suitable mid blue"

Hope this info helps if anybody fancies doing a Heljan model into one of the Red Star 128 Sisters.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Hi Folks, as I mentioned earlier, I emailed John at Silver Fox models for some information on the models he did a couple of years ago and this is what he said

John Hazleton "Thanks Craig, I c[/size]an't remember which blue I used; rather think it might have been [/size]BR mainline freight blue, although I think that Humbrol 25 might be [/size]a reasonable suitable mid blue"[/size]

Hope this info helps if anybody fancies doing a Heljan model into one of the Red Star 128 Sisters.[/size]

Happy modelling[/size]

Craig.[/size]

Craig, do you still have that bodyshell on loan? Will you have it for a while? If so, would you consider buying something called a white, grey, and black card for around a fiver off eBay? It's one of these things: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419DXx2fQLL._SY300_.jpg

I had one, but when I went to look for it to snap against my MR 128, I couldn't find it. I've ordered a replacement, and when it arrives, I'll smap the MR 128 with the cards next to it. They provide the ability to judge correct tone (peak white, peak black), and colour balance (from the 18% grey card).

Thanks,

Richard

Gordon,

in answer t your question, 55994 was painted first, one side had the BRB version, (grey stripe), the other side had the Red/white variant.

The upper and lower panels remained the same French/rail blues. Both side then reverted to the red /white stripe, I know only of one picture of 55994 in grey stripe, and I have a copy of that somewhere.

55993 was painted later.

Regards

Ringo

Archived