SWD Class 37 Sound volume ?

Superrams

Hi folks

I have purchased and fitted an SWD Class 37 sound chip this weekend,which sounds fine, but I think it is too quiet.

I have fitted it to the top of the block under the fan grille, and I have reset the volume to No 64 on my Gaugemaster Prodigy controller,which I am led to believe is the maximum volume setting.

I understand that I could get more out of the sound by fitting it into the fuel tanks etc, but I notice that my Hornby class 60 has it's speaker fitted on top also,and this I had to turn down as it was too loud !

Can anyone advise me in getting more volume out of it please?

Perhaps a hearing aid may suffice ??

Thanks

John

Hi Bif & Andy

Yes it is a V4, and yes Bif it has got 192 maximum

Just changed it to 192, and it has improved but I still think I need a hearing aid !!

Compared to Hornby,s class 08, and their class 60, it is still quieter than those even toned down

Can it go up any more even though it gives a maximum, or do I need to make an appointment at the local ENT clinic ??

Cheers

John

Hi John.

I don't possess a V4 chip yet but having read a few threads of people having similar problems, is the speaker a 4 or 8 ohm version?

The V4 chip won't sound correct with a 100 ohm speaker that were the norm with the previous Loksound chips.

Hi Bif & Andy

Yes it is a V4, and yes Bif it has got 192 maximum

Just changed it to 192, and it has improved but I still think I need a hearing aid !!

Compared to Hornby,s class 08, and their class 60, it is still quieter than those even toned down

Can it go up any more even though it gives a maximum, or do I need to make an appointment at the local ENT clinic ??

Cheers

John

John,

Unless your speaker is in an enclosure, you will not get good sound, that is why the sound is better if the speaker is in the tanks (provided that there is also somewhere for the sound from the front of the speaker to get out of the tanks). Also, please be aware that there have been instances of V4 chips being blown by using the maximum volume setting. I am led to believe that the maximum safe value for CV63 is 128.

Harold.

Hi John.

I don't possess a V4 chip yet but having read a few threads of people having similar problems, is the speaker a 4 or 8 ohm version?

The V4 chip won't sound correct with a 100 ohm speaker that were the norm with the previous Loksound chips.

Hi Mc Gomez

It is indeed V4 using a 4 ohm speaker

Hi Harold

Mmm.... Quite concerned about your information regarding blowing chips at the maximum.

I think i will have to turn it down a bit, however i need more sound rather than less, so i still have a problem

John

As a couple of the others have suggested, a bass reflex speaker would be ideal. A simpler fitment would be a bass enhanced speaker - these can be found in a size that sits nicely in the recess for the original speaker.

The simplest improvement you can make is to seal the existing speaker up to form a proper, sealed sound chamber, using Blu-Tac or equivalent. That alone will boost the volume and the sound quality a bit.

If you are prepared to put the extra work in, though, the bass reflex would be best of all.

Seems this is only going one way, and that is to fit, or have fitted a bass enhanced speaker fitted into the fuel tanks :scratchhead:

This i am told, is the way Olivia's do it as the norm

I have spoken to them,and they are not surprised at the lack of volume due to where i have fitted the speaker ( on the top of the block under the fan grille )

It's going to cost me £36 for the privelage, but it's worth it i suppose if it up's the volume.

Be aware though,with Rails of Sheffield

they fit the speaker exactly where i have,and will not fit a speaker into the tanks :no:

Seems this is only going one way, and that is to fit, or have fitted a bass enhanced speaker fitted into the fuel tanks :scratchhead:

This i am told, is the way Olivia's do it as the norm

I have spoken to them,and they are not surprised at the lack of volume due to where i have fitted the speaker ( on the top of the block under the fan grille )

It's going to cost me £36 for the privelage, but it's worth it i suppose if it up's the volume.

Be aware though,with Rails of Sheffield

they fit the speaker exactly where i have,and will not fit a speaker into the tanks :no:

No, its not the only way to go. There is a cheaper, and quicker, alternative.

You need to understand a bit about why your present set-up is so poor before deciding if someone else's solution is best for you. (I am not saying that the above suggestions will not work - I am sure they will. I am just pointing out an aternative solution which might suit your purposes.)

It's not so much where you fit the speaker (within reason), as to how you ensure separation of the desired sound from the 'front' of the speaker from the sound created from the rear.

Put simply, you must strive for complete separation of the two to avoid the rear sound waves cancelling out those from the front, ie drastically reducing the volume.

There may be other benefits derived from so called bass enhanced or bass reflex speakers, and that might be worth the investment, but there are other things you can try out quite cheaply and right now. This might be sufficient for your needs and what have you got to loose?

Speakers under fan grilles can be effective, but the speaker must be mounted correctly. Sticking a speaker without an enclosure on the chassis, vaguely pointing in the direction of the grille will never give a satisfactory result. That's why many early Hornby and Bachmann installations were pants.

Try this instead. Fix your speaker to the inside of the body diectly under the fan grille. You can use a ring of blu-tack or similar 'sticky but mouldable' material (avoid tape or glue until you are sure about what you are doing.

It is imperative that the speaker is fully sealed against the body. The grille will now allow the sound from the front of the speaker to be released into the outside, and the body will act as a baffle to subdue the rear waves. Refit the body to the chassis before trying the sound. You will be pleasantly surprised at the difference this makes to the volume.

Whether you feel that the sound quality is what you wish for only you can say. But if your only worry is about volume, this simple technique will improve things no end.

Good luck,

Paul

Try this instead. Fix your speaker to the inside of the body diectly under the fan grille. You can use a ring of blu-tack or similar 'sticky but mouldable' material (avoid tape or glue until you are sure about what you are doing.

It is imperative that the speaker is fully sealed against the body. The grille will now allow the sound from the front of the speaker to be released into the outside, and the body will act as a baffle to subdue the rear waves. Refit the body to the chassis before trying the sound. You will be pleasantly surprised at the difference this makes to the volume.

Paul

Paul,

Thank you for this post - it puts very clearly a simple way to create what I was trying to describe. I must try to remember it.

Harold.

Archived